Best QB fit for Chan Gailey’s Offense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best QB fit for Chan Gailey’s Offense?

Swollcolb

Active Roster
Reaction score
Don’t want this to turn into a Tua Vs Herbert thread even though it probably will. But I’m just curious scheme wise which QB would excel best?

Watching a lot of Herbert tape lately trying to open up my eyes to other prospects I noticed Oregon ran a TON of 1 read, quick game horizontal passes. Herberts arm strength allowed him to get the ball there quickly to give receiver extra time to make a play. This is something I’ve been reading Gaileys offense thrives off of, spread out, quick game horizontal passes. I think schematically this helps hide some of Herberts weaknesses and highlight his strengths. Only downfall I noticed, sometimes Herberts passes had a little too much heat on them and if his accuracy is a touch off it makes the pass very hard to catch for receiver.

Tua on the other hand doesn’t have quite the velocity on the quick passes but he can get the ball out really quickly with a fast release which has a similar effect. I personally have been a Tua fan and he is my preference in the draft. I think he has more tools in terms of variety of offenses he can be successful in.

However Im starting to understand why Herbert may be the better scheme fit (for Gaileys offense) due to quick pass game with Herberts lasers, then with deep shots and QB runs mixed in.

Curious what you guys think?

Tua can throw the quick pass with more accuracy than Herbert, and he makes better decisions.

There is only one knock on Tua and that is durability.

I don't think Herbert is close to Tua, he should be based on physical traits, but he lacks in some areas that might not be fixable.

Given a choice there really ins't one.

Even with the injury worries you take Tua over Herbert.

Tua can throw the quick pass with more accuracy than Herbert, and he makes better decisions.

There is only one knock on Tua and that is durability.

I don't think Herbert is close to Tua, he should be based on physical traits, but he lacks in some areas that might not be fixable.

Given a choice there really ins't one.

Even with the injury worries you take Tua over Herbert.
All 2020 qb are scare. I am not going say Tua is all that until he play down. Tua is all hype right now.

Chan Gailey runs the spread offense so Burrow, TUA or Hebert all fit. Probably why they are all ranked high by the dolphins.

Jordan Love ran a hurry up fast 2 minute style offense which is similar to what LSU runs and what LA Rams run. Burrow, TUA and Love throw more downfield than Hebert which is what I like.

A good OC should build his system around the strengths of the offense and the QB.

Except those OC are normally the HC.

Can we say with certainty what year 2 under Flores will entail as far as scheme?

BB is able to morph and adjust to circumstances, with far more success than his underlings.

Work in progress to date.

Just remember just because a qb has played in one type of system in college doesn't mean he couldn't have thrived in another type of system too.

Last edited:
I prefer Tua, i think with a year to rest behind Fitz, and with the Cap and Draft picks we have next year, we can really build something good around him. A healthy Tua and a vastly improved roster could be something special.

Don’t want this to turn into a Tua Vs Herbert thread even though it probably will. But I’m just curious scheme wise which QB would excel best?

Watching a lot of Herbert tape lately trying to open up my eyes to other prospects I noticed Oregon ran a TON of 1 read, quick game horizontal passes. Herberts arm strength allowed him to get the ball there quickly to give receiver extra time to make a play. This is something I’ve been reading Gaileys offense thrives off of, spread out, quick game horizontal passes. I think schematically this helps hide some of Herberts weaknesses and highlight his strengths. Only downfall I noticed, sometimes Herberts passes had a little too much heat on them and if his accuracy is a touch off it makes the pass very hard to catch for receiver.

Tua on the other hand doesn’t have quite the velocity on the quick passes but he can get the ball out really quickly with a fast release which has a similar effect. I personally have been a Tua fan and he is my preference in the draft. I think he has more tools in terms of variety of offenses he can be successful in.

However Im starting to understand why Herbert may be the better scheme fit (for Gaileys offense) due to quick pass game with Herberts lasers, then with deep shots and QB runs mixed in.

Curious what you guys think?

I think Tua had 4 1st round picks at receiver and 1st round bookend tackles ....I don’t see Herbert’s surrounding talent as being equal to that.

They are both great prospects....if Tua can stay healthy he would rate higher...but that’s a big if?

Herbert throws lasers, but is slower in decision making, and not as accurate. Accuracy problems in the NFL can lead to a lot of problems with turnovers. Slow decision making leads to problems in the NFL as well. Look at Josh Rosen, one of his biggest flaws is slow processing, and holding on to the ball to long.

Tua has a strong enough arm to where his quick decisions and quick release can get the ball there in plenty of time. His accuracy lessens the chance for tip ball turnovers, or missed throw turnovers in the NFL. And even though Herbert has the huge arm, Tua throws a better deep ball to go along with the short game. In fact, Tua throws the deep ball with great accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom