Best QB fit for Chan Gailey’s Offense? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best QB fit for Chan Gailey’s Offense?

McShay also rated Trubisky and Kizer over Mahomes in the 2017 draft. So when it comes to rating QB’s I really don’t give McShay high marks at all. As far as Orlovsky is concerned, if he was actually any good in judging talent, he would be a n NFL GM and not a talking head at ESPN.
Great Point! The experts (many on this forum) have anointed one QB prospect as "the Next Coming". In the mean time the McShay's, Kiper's, Mayock's, and others make a good living opining on who's the best, where they will go and how successful they will be. The thing is, they are always mostly wrong. They get a choice here and there, and some players are too talented to fail (unless their Dion Jordan) but their percentages of prognostication is very poor. If we get Tua at #5 I'm good with it. If we take Brown, or Simmonds and trade up for Love or Herbert, check. For the first time in years I have more faith in our FO group than the talking heads (I call them 'weathermen' for obvious reasons) on TV. I think they will have a better plan to deal with the QB situation than anybody on ESPN will, it's their career on the line...

He should have stayed retired. While Flores has the right to pick any OC he wants to run the offense, picking a retired OC who was terrible in his last job with the Jets makes no sense at all. I guess no good OC wanted to work for him after he fired his previous OC after just one season and that is why Gailey got the job.
That is crazy wild speculation at it's finest. I don't agree at all.

To be fair, most people had Trubisky as top QB. That said, Tua, to me, looks best.
Ok. I didnt even have a draft grade on the Trub-ster. Laughed my ass off when he was drafted. Watched many bears games cause I couldn't stop laughing.

The game has changed so much. But decision making has always been the silent defining element of a QB's overall success. In the old days it was about identifying match-ups and handling the blitz against D's that had a primary base used most of the time. The game was simpler, but the decision making was still at the forefront.

Now, it's about processing multiple fronts, multiple schemes and getting the ball out quickly. Decision making is still the underlying reason for success, but how it is applied has changed.

"Cerebral" doesn't always translate well on the field. A high capacity for critical thinking doesn't mean quick decisions. And quick decisions do not always mean the best decision.

So, if I'm hearing about a QB that is "cerebral" but can't get the ball out quick, he is just a backup in my mind. And I think this describes Rosen's trajectory; a backup.

If you can't process a defense in 3 seconds at the LOS pre-snap and make a decision within 1.5 seconds post-snap.... it doesn't matter how healthy you are or how many physical gifts you have. Fans will always see glimpses of greatness but never consistency in greatness.

Completion Percentages don't tell the whole story, BUT they do lead to the ability to MAKE quick decisions. However, if you've not won big games then I would tend to believe you can't make the best decisions during your quick decision making ability. Or you could have a weak supporting cast. Only game film can determine the truth.

Regardless, on the surface, I'm looking for ball placement, high completion percentage, high yards and high TD/INT ratio first. These should be high level tools to help you determine a QB's decision making skills; but they are not set in stone. However, they should shine consistently.

Arm strength and physical tools are on the next tier of evaluations.

So, my concerns:
  • Tier 1: Scheme Fit
  • Tier 2a: Decision Making/Intelligence
  • Tier 2b: Maturity
  • Tier 3a: Physical Tools
  • Tier 3b: Health
  • Tier 4: Team Success (W's and L's)

We could nitpick on so many qualities. But those are my general measuring sticks.

I know guys keep pointing to Tua's health. But let's be realistic; all NFL players are one bad play away from a career ending injury. There are too many uncontrollable factors in the field of play. Burrow could get injured on his first play. Tua could play for 15 years and never get injured again.

For me, I prefer Tua.
I understand why so many fans want Tua. Until his hip surgery he was my first choice also. While you are correct that every NFL player is one play from a career ending injury. Tua is more at risk simply because of the hip injury he suffered. The hit he took which caused the injury did not appear to be that hard a hit and he will certainly take harder hits at the NFL level.
I think coming to the Dolphins would likely put him into a more detrimental situation in regards to possibly another hip injury. The Dolphins have consistently had trouble protecting their QB over the last decade and
I just don’t think Tua will last long getting pounded behind the Dolphins offensive line.
I can see the Dolphins taking him at 5 if he is still on the board but if they do they also need to use their remaining first round picks and at least one second round pick on offensive linemen. Because if Tua has to play behind the same type of offensive line the Dolphins have put on the field for the last decade, he will be out of the league within 2 years, IMO.

McShay also rated Trubisky and Kizer over Mahomes in the 2017 draft. So when it comes to rating QB’s I really don’t give McShay high marks at all. As far as Orlovsky is concerned, if he was actually any good in judging talent, he would be a n NFL GM and not a talking head at ESPN.
FWIW, Mike Mayock rated Trubisky over Mahomes also. And Jeremiah ranked Trubisky and Kizer over Watson with Mahomes not even making the top 50 2017 plaqyers. So there's that too.

You guys dont think the reason Tua was so good was because he had first round receivers, and first round OTs? The guy couldnt stay healthy under two first round OTs.

Tua is like Luck. We all saw what happened with Luck. Stay away from injury prone guys.

You can’t really judge a QB based on the talent around them. You could make the argument the reason Burrow had a record breaking season was the talent around him. Sure, the accuracy was there on throws, but so many dinky over the middle passes turned into huge plays and TDs because his WR extended plays. His stat line reflects an unrealistic amount of success after the catch (to continue to expect).

Burrow also lost the starting job at OSU to Haskins when he broke a bone in his throwing hand and had to get surgery in 2017. In 2017 Herbert broke his collar bone week 5 or 6. Both of them missed significant time and/or lost the starting job due to injury. Sure, Tua’s hip injury was significant, but medical science in 2019/20 is light years ahead of where it was the last time a major athlete suffered the same injury. The truth is none of the top 3 QBs this year were “iron men” during college.

This is the wrong question. Gailey is old AF and probably only has a few seasons in him before he retires again. Drafting a QB based on the OC is the height of short-sightedness. The question is which QB is the best and the expectation should be that Gailey adapts his offense to the QB’s skill set. If he can’t do that, put him back in the carriage and set him off down the Oregon trail back to his cabin in the woods. We have no use for a dinosaur who refuses to adapt to the new NFL.

You guys dont think the reason Tua was so good was because he had first round receivers, and first round OTs? The guy couldnt stay healthy under two first round OTs.

Tua is like Luck. We all saw what happened with Luck. Stay away from injury prone guys.

Hey, I don’t think the other 400 times you’ve said this was enough. You may want to repost this exact argument another 200 times to make sure everyone read it.

Hey, I don’t think the other 400 times you’ve said this was enough. You may want to repost this exact argument another 200 times to make sure everyone read it.
Exactly.....because Tua cultists would never post the same thing multiple times.....LMAO....

It's a fair question. It's the quarterbacks who can make those quick reads, decisions. Burrow, Tua would be obvious choices.

A sleeper might be Fromm. He has obvious limitations, but he is a quick decision maker.

Back
Top Bottom