Best QB fit for Chan Gailey’s Offense? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best QB fit for Chan Gailey’s Offense?

I remember Gailey as the OC when Slash was the QB with the steelers,

he also worked with Fitz both as a Bill & as a jest.

The only thing Slash & Fitz have in common is that they both played the QB position in the NFL.

Chan likes to run the ball.

I remember Gailey as the OC when Slash was the QB with the steelers,

he also worked with Fitz both as a Bill & as a jest.

The only thing Slash & Fitz have in common is that they both played the QB position in the NFL.

Chan likes to run the ball.
As I keep pointing out, Chan is fairly flexible. He taylors his scheme to what he has to work with, and as OC, what the HC envisions.

Like others, I think he may be over the hill, but he knows offensive football and, I would think, would be adept at in game adjustments, considering his decades of experience.

Will some of the newer, hybrid defensive alignments confuse him? Maybe, maybe not.

He also had Fiedler when he was here under Wanny.

He's a good coach, no one trick pony.

He won't be hammering square pegs into round holes.

He definitely will be running the ball more than we did last season

He also had Fiedler when he was here under Wanny.

He's a good coach, no one trick pony.

He won't be hammering square pegs into round holes.

He definitely will be running the ball more than we did last season

To be fair, we tried to run. We just didn't gain any yds, so it became counterproductive.

I understand why so many fans want Tua. Until his hip surgery he was my first choice also. While you are correct that every NFL player is one play from a career ending injury. Tua is more at risk simply because of the hip injury he suffered. The hit he took which caused the injury did not appear to be that hard a hit and he will certainly take harder hits at the NFL level.
I think coming to the Dolphins would likely put him into a more detrimental situation in regards to possibly another hip injury. The Dolphins have consistently had trouble protecting their QB over the last decade and
I just don’t think Tua will last long getting pounded behind the Dolphins offensive line.
I can see the Dolphins taking him at 5 if he is still on the board but if they do they also need to use their remaining first round picks and at least one second round pick on offensive linemen. Because if Tua has to play behind the same type of offensive line the Dolphins have put on the field for the last decade, he will be out of the league within 2 years, IMO.

I agree. And I fully expect we will draft heavily on the OL early and often. I'd also like to see us draft another QB after Round 3.

But for me, swing big this year and let's consider the fact we have another chance to draft a QB high next year. It's time for us to get the talent we need.

Frankly, I've been a Trevor Lawrence fan since he appeared on scene. But over the past few months, I've started to look at Tua's arrival in the Championship game and his career since.

He bleeds a uniqueness we've not seen often. He has a natural feel for the game and he can put up the stats. If health is his only flaw... give me a run at a chance with an elite talent and let's roll the dice.

This is NOT our only 1st round pick. We have 5 in the next 2 years.

I'm reminded of Daunte Culpepper and Drew Brees. I'm also reminded of Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning.

If we are going to take a chance, let's take a chance on proven elite talent.

We are not talking about Bo Jackson's hip. And I'm tired of waiting on perfection to be gifted to us. Just as this year, winning games that took us out of position to be the 1st overall..... this organization has rarely been blessed with perfect opportunities. So let's take a calculated risk and still have chips to make another choice next year.

Consider this... if we trade three 1st's to get Burrow and he doesn't pan out..... was it that same risk of staying at 5, drafting Tua and having those 2 other 1sts to still improve the team?

No. If Burrow is a bust, this team has crash landed before it even started and we are set back another 10 years.

Drafting Tua actually protects your options.

I dont see how anyone can clearly know that Herbert will be better than Rosen. His faults are the same faults that Rosen has.
Also, if the plan is to sit any QB for a year, then there's zero reason not to take someone viewed as more of a 'project'. Love is the guy making the most sense. Just take him at 5, even if it seems a small 'reach'. He'll be there at 5, we keep all our picks and Try to make up for Losing Tunsil and Losing Minkah. We probably never fully recoup losing those guys.
Tunsil was a 'Bird in the hand' and we could have 5 'birds in the bush' and get dick for it. Tunsil was a top 3 talent and we were gifted him by the gods and stupidly threw it away.

McShay also rated Trubisky and Kizer over Mahomes in the 2017 draft. So when it comes to rating QB’s I really don’t give McShay high marks at all. As far as Orlovsky is concerned, if he was actually any good in judging talent, he would be a n NFL GM and not a talking head at ESPN.

That's a terrible argument.

Why work harder for similar money? He talks on ESPN because he gets paid Millions and works 5 days a week talking football.

Exactly.....because Tua cultists would never post the same thing multiple times.....LMAO....

Some are a bit over the top ... many (like this poster) waits for an argument against and then confuses the post by attacking the poster instead of offering a counter argument for discussion purposes ... if it isn't colored crimson your opinion sucks ...

The OP raises a good point but I think Chan Gailey will/has devised an offense that suits the direction Flo wants to move in ... the QB will have certain skill sets that fit what the TEAM is going to do offensively .... the OC can change in one year or 5 ... shouldn't matter as long as they chose the right QB to run it ... scheme should stay fairly consistent ... new OC may tweak but if the team is successful the core stays the same .... IMO

Of course if the team can't get out of their own way then either the scheme doesn't work or the player was the wrong choice ....

Being "old AF" doesn't mean **** ..... the coaches and FO have enough info to know which QB best fits their system ....

I guess (according to some) if we just draft Tua then OC and scheme won't matter ... Tua can run any system on any team with or without complimentary studs to help (sarcasm) ... In fact if we just trump all bids and pull a Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams deal it's all good .... Tua would have had us in the playoffs with last seasons roster ... Tua can take his'n and beat your'n ... then take your'n and beat his'n ... lmao

McShay also rated Trubisky and Kizer over Mahomes in the 2017 draft. So when it comes to rating QB’s I really don’t give McShay high marks at all. As far as Orlovsky is concerned, if he was actually any good in judging talent, he would be a n NFL GM and not a talking head at ESPN.
It hard say how players going turn out in nfl. ESPN and mel kipper are projecting how player transition from college to pros. It also depend on what team u go too. Mohomes benefit from going to good playoff team, great.offense mind coach as well. Who know how devolve talent as well verus playing for browns or bears. Most qb going to top 5 team will fail..if burrow go to Cincinnati he probably will fail in nfl because of organization..I know 49ers didnt win SB but I love how they build that team.

Last edited:
So basically all those people including McShay were wrong. I think Burrow looks the best but I don’t claim to be an expert and I don’t get paid by ESPN to give my opinions.
Everybody say Tua look better. Why did Tua look better. Why because bama had better Ol,rb te and wr than north I think if love or herbert was at bama they would have win title as well.. yall got come for yall.

Last edited:
I agree. And I fully expect we will draft heavily on the OL early and often. I'd also like to see us draft another QB after Round 3.

But for me, swing big this year and let's consider the fact we have another chance to draft a QB high next year. It's time for us to get the talent we need.

Frankly, I've been a Trevor Lawrence fan since he appeared on scene. But over the past few months, I've started to look at Tua's arrival in the Championship game and his career since.

He bleeds a uniqueness we've not seen often. He has a natural feel for the game and he can put up the stats. If health is his only flaw... give me a run at a chance with an elite talent and let's roll the dice.

This is NOT our only 1st round pick. We have 5 in the next 2 years.

I'm reminded of Daunte Culpepper and Drew Brees. I'm also reminded of Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning.

If we are going to take a chance, let's take a chance on proven elite talent.

We are not talking about Bo Jackson's hip. And I'm tired of waiting on perfection to be gifted to us. Just as this year, winning games that took us out of position to be the 1st overall..... this organization has rarely been blessed with perfect opportunities. So let's take a calculated risk and still have chips to make another choice next year.

Consider this... if we trade three 1st's to get Burrow and he doesn't pan out..... was it that same risk of staying at 5, drafting Tua and having those 2 other 1sts to still improve the team?

No. If Burrow is a bust, this team has crash landed before it even started and we are set back another 10 years.

Drafting Tua actually protects your options.
I have no problem with the Dolphins selecting Tua at 5 but I hope they don’t trade more picks to move up to draft him. If they use just one pick on him and he ends up with another hip injury and is out of the league in less than 3 years. At least they will have all their remaining picks this year to continuing building the team. If Tua has a long career great. If he has a short career the one first round pick won’t kill them and they will just have to be looking to draft another long term QB in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom