Best RB of all-time | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best RB of all-time

phatmatt

from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (in Canada)
Reaction score
help settle an argument between me and a friend of mine who obviously doesn't know football. Tell me who it is and why you think so. I said Barry Sanders because of his power, explosion, vision and of course the insane array of moves he had.

Top 5 all-time

1. Barry Sanders
2. Jim Brown
3. Walter Peyton
4. Emmit Smith
5. Earl Campbell

I say Barry Sanders. No one has ever had moves like him. He's one of kind. A lot of back barrell people over (which is no small feat of it's own) but Barry Sanders could go 80 yards reversing fields without being touched!

The thing that really made him better than all the rest was his ability to score at any time. I know that cliche is used on a lot of players but it has never been more true. It was weird looking at his stat line when the game was over and done with...0 yd, -2 yd, 3 yd, -1 yd, 0 yd, 90 YD TD!

Yea but he killed a ton of drives with negative yardage. He also wasnt used in goaline short yardage. Id have to put Brown and Payton above him certainly. He was awesome to watch.

1. Barry Sanders
2. Jim Brown
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmit Smith
5. Earl Campbell

We're on the same page for the top 4. I think #5 is Gale Sayers.

Yea but he killed a ton of drives with negative yardage. He also wasnt used in goaline short yardage. Id have to put Brown and Payton above him certainly. He was awesome to watch.

He did get alot of negative yardage but at the same time I don't ever really recall him having even a solid O-line which would contribute to that. And the fact that he wasn't used in goal line situations is misleading because I honestly think he was better than any other back the Lions had at this aspect. I remember time and time again Barry would be taken out at the goal line in favor of Tommy Vardell. What a stupid move that was imo.

Well you got the top 5 right but i'm voting Barry Sanders. I respect what E.Smith did setting the record for career yards...but that record is Sanders'. If Barry would have kept on playing, he would be well ahead of Smith.

Bo Jackson... :D

You never know eh? If only he didn't get hurt and concentrated solely on football. Like Jim Brown was in his day, Bo was a man amongst boys. A combination of speed and strength nobody ever saw before.

I think Barry was the most exciting "runner" I ever saw. But shouldn't the "best running back" take into consideration blocking for other runners and receivers, blitz pickups and receiving out of the backfield? A more complete player like a Marshal Faulk, Roger Craig or Marcus Allen? I do agree with your list of best runners and think I would like E. Smith for the more complete back.

phatmatt said:
help settle an argument between me and a friend of mine who obviously doesn't know football. Tell me who it is and why you think so. I said Barry Sanders because of his power, explosion, vision and of course the insane array of moves he had.

Top 5 all-time

1. Barry Sanders
2. Jim Brown
3. Walter Peyton
4. Emmit Smith
5. Earl Campbell

Put Emmit to 5 and add Sayers at 4.

Back
Top Bottom