Best Value = Sewell at 3, WR at 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Value = Sewell at 3, WR at 18

insomnia411

The world is yours
Reaction score
Our goal this off season should be to build the best possible offense around Tua.

Assuming that the Jets don't screw us by taking Sewell at 2, the best draft value for us is to take Sewell at 3 and then take the best WR available at 18 where there will almost undoubtedly be a very good one there.

There's a huge drop off between Sewell and the next best T prospect. Sewell is a generational prospect and taking him allows us to improve 2 positions by kicking Hunt over to RG, keeping Kindley at LG and finding a C later in the draft... Or just leaving that job to Dieter who looked very good in limited play this year.

Where the T class is pretty weak outside of Sewell, this WR class is deep and stout. We can grab a Bateman, Marshall, Moore or maybe even Waddle (he'll probably be gone) at 18 and still potentially grab an explosive, alpha WR.

This is a better value than drafting Smith at 3 and a decent tackle prospect (or something else) at 18.

I don't disagree at all. But my preference is still a huge haul in a trade down that still nets us an elite player plus extra stock in this and next year's draft. Giving away Sewell though requires in my mind a complete screw job of whomever wants to trade with us, on the scale of what the Rams got from Wash to be able to take RG3. Sewell is a special talent and we need to be duly compensated for passing on him.

Last edited:
I don't disagree at all. But my preference is still a huge haul in a trade down that still nets us an elite player plus extra stock in this and next year's draft. Giving away Sewell though requires in my mind a complete screw job of whomever wants to trade with us, on the scale of what the Rams got from Wash for be able to take RG3. Sewell is a special talent and we need to be duly compensated for passing on him.
That's what I'm thinking. Should be plenty of competition for that #3 pick among quarterback needy teams. It's a valuable pick.
Miami could get a haul.

Otherwise, the OP is on target.

I'd add Toney as a possibility at #18. He's one of those wide receivers who gets good separation.

Disagree, best value is to trade down 3 and get additional picks and stay in top 10 if possible. The tier 1 receivers are not available at 18 and we need 1 of those to really make an impact on offense next season. Sewell may be a great tackle but a play making receiver immediately helps out a QB with their abilities to get open, catch and YAC capabilities.

I'm not against taking Sewell, but I don't agree that there will "almost assuredly be good WRs available at #18". I see a bunch of slot guys rather than likely #1 WRs as probably available there. I don't see much value at #18 at WR. If we pass at WR with our first pick, I could see us going RB or LB at #18 and not getting a WR until later in the draft.

Id rather but my nutz in a blender than take an olineman at 3. Take another QB before we take oline at 3. Prefer a trade down.

My appreciation of Sewell as a prospect(and the Fins need for another OT)are no secret around here.

But I too prefer a trade down that nets more picks(including a future 1st)and then taking Chase or Smith.

The Fins should be able to get an OT with #18 or in Round 2 since i would be targeting Zaven Collins at #18.

If I can't find a good enough offer then I am with you on taking Sewell at #3 and finding a way to either move up from #18 or taking WR there.

I think best value is trade down a bit but not out of range for one of the top 3 wr. A lot will be changed from now until the draft I’m sure though. Trading for a top wr instead could completely change our strat

Trading down is a nice option... if we can find a buyer, and THAT is the real question. No one managed to find a desperate buyer last year, so the automatic assumption that we'll be able to find one is, at best, optimistic... and at worst, delusional.

What I fear is that we won't be able to find a sucker... and will then draft Penei Sewell, and then we'll have to listen to sulky fan-boys complaining about it for the next five years.

Our goal this off season should be to build the best possible offense around Tua.

Assuming that the Jets don't screw us by taking Sewell at 2, the best draft value for us is to take Sewell at 3 and then take the best WR available at 18 where there will almost undoubtedly be a very good one there.

There's a huge drop off between Sewell and the next best T prospect. Sewell is a generational prospect and taking him allows us to improve 2 positions by kicking Hunt over to RG, keeping Kindley at LG and finding a C later in the draft... Or just leaving that job to Dieter who looked very good in limited play this year.

Where the T class is pretty weak outside of Sewell, this WR class is deep and stout. We can grab a Bateman, Marshall, Moore or maybe even Waddle (he'll probably be gone) at 18 and still potentially grab an explosive, alpha WR.

This is a better value than drafting Smith at 3 and a decent tackle prospect (or something else) at 18.
Put your proposal vs a stud WR at #3 and another WR at #18.

I prefer this than Sewell at 3 and a WR at 18

If the Jets take Sewell anyone who wants Fields will have to make us a big offer. So it's still a very good situation.

If the Jets take Sewell anyone who wants Fields will have to make us a big offer. So it's still a very good situation.
Agree with this take.

You know I'm a Sewell guy, but if the Jets take him, I suspect that our #3 will be worth even more.

IMO Lawrence, Fields and Wilson will be seen as potential top 3 targets for a QB hungry team. So we should have additional value for our #3 this year relative to years where there aren't QBs as potential targets. That will be the case regardless of whom the Jets select.

If the Jets take Sewell it would probably just eliminate Cincy as a trade down partner.

What would you all do if Jags picked Fields, and Jets kept Darnold. At #3 Lawrence is there now, do you take?

Back
Top Bottom