Best Value = Sewell at 3, WR at 18 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Value = Sewell at 3, WR at 18

What would you all do if Jags picked Fields, and Jets kept Darnold. At #3 Lawrence is there now, do you take?

Lol honestly I probably take Lawrence but that's not happening. Even if the Jags are dumb enough to pass on Lawrence for Fields, there's a 0% possibility the Jets pass on him also. Just no way.

Trading this #3 pick HAS to be the first priority. We don’t absolutely NEED a OT. Yes Sewell appears to be as guaranteed as it gets in this draft. Yes he would fill a hole but he’s a luxury not a necessity. It’s so extremely rare a 10 win team is picking at 3. You have to turn that into multiple picks. Now if we get stuck at 3 yes Sewell is the pick bc the value is just to good to pass on. But if at all possible you have to trade down.

Detroit at 7 Carolina at 8 and Denver at 9 are all just perfect spots for us. They couldn’t be more perfect bc they’re all far enough down to command a kings ransom (2022 #1) AND it keeps us high enough to get 1 of the 3 premium WRs (Chase Smith or Waddle) although I prefer Chase. Regardless if we can get down to 7 8 or 9 pick up whoever’s 2022 #1 and still get our playmaking WR that’s a home run by itself. Especially if it’s Detroit’s 2022 #1 which we all know is at minimum a top 10 pick and probably closer to top 5.

I don't view turning our line from average to elite as a "luxury". I see that as an amazing opportunity to dominate the trenches on both sides of the ball where we'd then only have to add a couple of pieces here and there to have a consistent and portable formula for winning for the next five years at least... Our o line would not only be big, talented and tough - but also all under the age of 25. That's an extremely rare and amazing opportunity. Wayy too good to pass up.

I don't view turning our line from average to elite as a "luxury". I see that as an amazing opportunity to dominate the trenches on both sides of the ball where we'd then only have to add a couple of pieces here and there to have a consistent and portable formula for winning for the next five years at least... Our o line would not only be big, talented and tough - but also all under the age of 25. That's an extremely rare and amazing opportunity. Wayy too good to pass up.
It’s a luxury because we have 3 rookie OL that all played very well at different times this year. Yes obviously Sewell would strengthen it but why strengthen what should already be a strength for the next 2-3 years when we have glaring holes at other positions? If theirs any chance of turning #3 into multiple other picks while also staying inside the top 10 you have to do it.

Also if you take Sewell and he becomes what he’s expected to and if Jackson Kindley and Hunt all continue to progress all those guys contracts are going to come due basically all at once. We wouldn’t be able to keep them all for more than 2/3 more years anyway.

Like I said if we get stuck at 3 and have no trade takers then yes Sewell should be the pick bc the value is amazing but if at all possible we have to trade this pick for a nice haul of other/future picks.

It’s a luxury because we have 3 rookie OL that all played very well at different times this year. Yes obviously Sewell would strengthen it but why strengthen what should already be a strength for the next 2-3 years when we have glaring holes at other positions? If theirs any chance of turning #3 into multiple other picks while also staying inside the top 10 you have to do it.

Also if you take Sewell and he becomes what he’s expected to and if Jackson Kindley and Hunt all continue to progress all those guys contracts are going to come due basically all at once. We wouldn’t be able to keep them all for more than 2/3 more years anyway.

Like I said if we get stuck at 3 and have no trade takers then yes Sewell should be the pick bc the value is amazing but if at all possible we have to trade this pick for a nice haul of other/future picks.
The problem that I have with this analysis is that whoever we draft will come due at this same time... It isn't like we'll be able to find money for all of these players, no matter which position they play... without some front-office flexibility and knowing which players to keep and which to trade/let walk for comp picks.

The problem that I have with this analysis is that whoever we draft will come due at this same time... It isn't like we'll be able to find money for all of these players, no matter which position they play... without some front-office flexibility and knowing which players to keep and which to trade/let walk for comp picks.
That’s true but any position other than OL wouldn’t look so bad on the overall books. I don’t want say 20% of our cap space tied up on 4 OL.

That’s true but any position other than OL wouldn’t look so bad on the overall books. I don’t want say 20% of our cap space tied up on 4 OL.
Right now, our cap space is dominated by CBs... some years it will be linemen... eventually, we'll have a QB who single-handedly kills our cap. So, I'm not going to worry about what happens 4 years down the road... yet.

If we take a RT, as I hope we'll do, and then all 5 of our linemen become stars, then we'll trade one... or begin to play the comp pick game like the Patriots do. For now, I want to protect Tua AND add weapons so he can thrive.

I think Sewell is the best prospect that I have ever seen, but if we take Darrisaw, or Slater, or even Abraham Lucas, and that player becomes successful, then it is a good problem to have.

Right now, our cap space is dominated by CBs... some years it will be linemen... eventually, we'll have a QB who single-handedly kills our cap. So, I'm not going to worry about what happens 4 years down the road... yet.

If we take a RT, as I hope we'll do, and then all 5 of our linemen become stars, then we'll trade one... or begin to play the comp pick game like the Patriots do. For now, I want to protect Tua AND add weapons so he can thrive.

I think Sewell is the best prospect that I have ever seen, but if we take Darrisaw, or Slater, or even Abraham Lucas, and that player becomes successful, then it is a good problem to have.
But 2 CBs compared to 4 OL is a big difference. With the cap going down I don’t want this regime to get us into salary cap hell which we all have known to well (I’m still upset about the Suh deal).

I’m sure we’ll take an OL and probably 2 at some point as it looks like we’ll need a center as well. I just look at Dallas a few years back and the all star OL they had and what did it get them? 1 playoff win I believe. Russell Wilson has one of the 5 worst OLs in football but that doesn’t seem to matter bc he’s so good he can overcome it. I believe in building from the inside out as I’ve stated on here but our 3 rookie OL all showed tremendous potential and it SHOULD be a strength next year and beyond. We have major other needs right now but I just don’t believe you gamble on a WR at 3 no matter who it is. So that’s why I say if we get stuck at 3 you take Sewell but I still believe it’s a luxury and not a need.

I don’t think Sewell is the best overall prospect I’ve ever saw but he may very well be the best OL prospect to come out in years. If Sewell is who we end up with I’ll be happy but not thrilled bc I’ll always wonder what could have been that time in 2020 when we had #3 and didn’t maximize it.

Well... as I've said, as much as I love Sewell, if I'm the GM, I still listen to offers.

But, like with the Tunsil situation, I will ONLY do it if they overpay.

Yes, part of this is because I don't value the undersized WRs in this draft like some do here, but I'm always going to be a value-drafter anyway. I'm going to make the other teams beg... or just make my picks.

Well... as I've said, as much as I love Sewell, if I'm the GM, I still listen to offers.

But, like with the Tunsil situation, I will ONLY do it if they overpay.

Yes, part of this is because I don't value the undersized WRs in this draft like some do here, but I'm always going to be a value-drafter anyway. I'm going to make the other teams beg... or just make my picks.
Lol I think we’ll get along just fine. Value in the draft is a huge huge huge thing for me. I’m ok with any pick as long as the value is their. Great FOs know how to manipulate the board and get maximum value. Unfortunately we haven’t been great at that for some time but it appears Grier/Flo and the rest of the FO all seem to be pulling in the same direction.

Hell no to Toney! at 18? WTH?

He's a guy you can likely get in the 3rd round and you want to waste 18 overall on that guy? When we have Bowden that has a similiar game. Although Toney is much more shifty.
I don't think 3rd round, maybe 2nd.

I don't think 3rd round, maybe 2nd.

Certainly not #18. If they would select a gadget player like Toney who's pretty much a better version of Bowden when a legit threat like Waddle is on the board..I'd cry! very loudly!

No thank you on those types of players right now. Give me guys that can absolutely fly!

How did that approach work for the Texans?

Certainly not #18. If they would select a gadget player like Toney who's pretty much a better version of Bowden when a legit threat like Waddle is on the board..I'd cry! very loudly!

No thank you on those types of players right now. Give me guys that can absolutely fly!
I'd be angry if they took him ahead of Waddle.

But after those top three receivers are off the board, it really depends what you are looking for. I can imagine Toney being an Edelman type player.

He is really good at getting separation, which is something Miami obviously needs.

I'd be angry if they took him ahead of Waddle.

But after those top three receivers are off the board, it really depends what you are looking for. I can imagine Toney being an Edelman type player.

He is really good at getting separation, which is something Miami obviously needs.

Then you'd go into camp with 4 players with similiar skillset

Toney, Bowden, Albert and Perry?

Overkill in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom