Best/worst Benefit/robbed? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best/worst Benefit/robbed?

A few years ago the Saints (ironically) played at Hard Rock (who knows what the name was back then :lol:).
Saints player fumbles the ball before crossing the goal line and gets a TD. The ball goes out of bounds. It should have been a touch back and first and ten on the 20 for us but it was called a TD for the Saints.

EDIT: The play is at 3:20. Unfortunately it is not a clear replay but there were replays later in the year from the other side as well as pictures where it clearly showed that the player lost the ball about a step before crossing the goal line.

Last edited:
That actually reminding me of another Pat's one ironically. We sacked Brady and he fumbled and a bunch of players drove for the ball and it got hit backwards. Would have been either 3rd and forever or 4th down but the refs called OV for batting the ball and Pat's got an automatic 1st
Yep i was going to mention that one but last time it was brought up, someone was vehemently defending the call so I was like ehhh but yeah that was BS

OV had a club on and couldn’t reel it in, why would he be trying to bat it further away and possibly back to NE instead of just recovering it himself? That makes no sense to me

A few years ago the Saints (ironically) played at Hard Rock (who knows what the name was back then :lol:).
Saints player fumbles the ball before crossing the goal line and gets a TD. The ball goes out of bounds. It should have been a touch back and first and ten on the 20 for us but it was called a TD for the Saints.

EDIT: The play is at 3:20. Unfortunately it is not a clear replay but there were replays later in the year from the other side as well as pictures where it clearly showed that the player lost the ball about a step before crossing the goal line.

He fumbled near the 3 yard line, was a horrible call. The Pitt call was horrible also. They said no clear recovery, but the Maimi player had the ball in his hand. Refs suck !!!

He fumbled near the 3 yard line, was a horrible call. The Pitt call was horrible also. They said no clear recovery, but the Maimi player had the ball in his hand. Refs suck !!!
I remember hearing (old enough to have watched it but my memory sucks so don't know if I did) about Csonka running the ball, bull dozing a (Vikings? ) defender and getting called for unsportsmanlike conduct? Anyone know details; does it fit this topic? Better yet, can anyone provide video? Love watching old Fin's clips.

Mine goes back to 1975 and it was actually a Colts-Patriots game that cost Miami the division title and playoffs.

Miami was 10-4 and needed the Pats to beat the Colts who were 9-4 as the Colts held the tiebreaker. Back in those days only the 3 divisional winners and 1 wildcard team made the playoffs for each conference and the Bengals had the wildcard locked up with an 11-3 record.

Pats were leading the Colts 21-20 late in the 4th quarter and the Colts were driving having the ball around goal line ready to take the lead. Colts RB (I think it was Lydell Mitchell) fumbles the ball, a Pats defensive player scoops it up and runs it all the way for a TD which would have put the Pats up 27-20, most likely 28-20 after extra point, and out of reach for Colts (no two-point extra point plays in 1975).

However; after the play head ref says the ref in the back of the end zone (who never saw the fumble) blew his whistle thinking the RB was tackled and the play was dead nullifying the fumble-6. Colts get the ball back (no replay like today) and score TD to take 27-21 lead. Steve Grogan (Pats QB) then throws 30 yard pick-6 on subsequent possession, one of 5 interceptions he threw that day.

2009 NOLA at MIA we caused a fumble with the ball CLEARLY loose from the runner 1 yard from the goal. The ball flys across the goal with an official looking down the sideline l. calls a TD for Saints.

I need some help with this one. Wasn't there a play in the 1995 playoffs against SD, the one were Stoyanvich misses game winning 48 yard FG, where a Chargers player is going to score and he fumbled but they still called it a TD? Or something like that.

That actually reminding me of another Pat's one ironically. We sacked Brady and he fumbled and a bunch of players drove for the ball and it got hit backwards. Would have been either 3rd and forever or 4th down but the refs called OV for batting the ball and Pat's got an automatic 1st
That was pathetic.

2009 NOLA at MIA we caused a fumble with the ball CLEARLY loose from the runner 1 yard from the goal. The ball flys across the goal with an official looking down the sideline l. calls a TD for Saints.
That game had 2 gaffes which cost us. The INT return that Ginn stripped at the 3 yard line that you noted. And w no time outs, NO caught a pass at the 1 before the half and the refs called TD. Thing is, he wasn’t in. So while they reviewed it NO got their FG unit on and then said f-it, we are playing w house money here and sneaked it in for a TD. We had a huge lead and that started the comeback. Had refs gotten it right and no clock stop, the half would have ended w no NO points. That’s an issue they still haven’t fixed.

Saints game where Darren Sharper fumbles the ball.

I need some help with this one. Wasn't there a play in the 1995 playoffs against SD, the one were Stoyanvich misses game winning 48 yard FG, where a Chargers player is going to score and he fumbled but they still called it a TD? Or something like that.

i believe you are referring to natrone means TD run where he clearly stepped out of bounds

It's been a long time and I can't remember the details, but I still think that a non-call of a blatant Pass Interference kept Marino and Miami from winning in that 51-45 loss to O'Brien and the Jets.

Back
Top Bottom