Best/worst Benefit/robbed? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best/worst Benefit/robbed?

lol I remember that. I love how the ref is LOOKING RIGHT AT IT and still misses the call.
Dude, seriously. I dont believe everything is fixed, but good lord, be smart enough to follow the money.....

I remember hearing (old enough to have watched it but my memory sucks so don't know if I did) about Csonka running the ball, bull dozing a (Vikings? ) defender and getting called for unsportsmanlike conduct? Anyone know details; does it fit this topic? Better yet, can anyone provide video? Love watching old Fin's clips.

Here it is:

C3gv.gif

Zonk gets a personal foul for unnecessary roughness by knocking out FS Pete Richardson of the Buffalo Bills; October 18, 1970.

Mine goes back to 1975 and it was actually a Colts-Patriots game that cost Miami the division title and playoffs.

Miami was 10-4 and needed the Pats to beat the Colts who were 9-4 as the Colts held the tiebreaker. Back in those days only the 3 divisional winners and 1 wildcard team made the playoffs for each conference and the Bengals had the wildcard locked up with an 11-3 record.

Pats were leading the Colts 21-20 late in the 4th quarter and the Colts were driving having the ball around goal line ready to take the lead. Colts RB (I think it was Lydell Mitchell) fumbles the ball, a Pats defensive player scoops it up and runs it all the way for a TD which would have put the Pats up 27-20, most likely 28-20 after extra point, and out of reach for Colts (no two-point extra point plays in 1975).

However; after the play head ref says the ref in the back of the end zone (who never saw the fumble) blew his whistle thinking the RB was tackled and the play was dead nullifying the fumble-6. Colts get the ball back (no replay like today) and score TD to take 27-21 lead. Steve Grogan (Pats QB) then throws 30 yard pick-6 on subsequent possession, one of 5 interceptions he threw that day.

Bert Jones and the mid to late '70s Baltimore Colts were the single most hated opponent in Dolphins history. I don't have any problem stating that in matter of fact fashion. It won't be remembered that way because memories fade, generations change, and recency is preferred. But I have experienced every era and there is no question those Colts teams were despised beyond any other divisional rival. Basic reason: the Colts were denying the Dolphins, when we still had Shula in his prime and a great core of the early '70s teams. There was every reason to believe we could do considerable damage in the playoffs, if Jones and the damn Colts would simply stop being so fortunate and resilient, particularly late in the regular season. Brady and the current Patriots cause jealousy and hatred for winning so many championships, plus the obvious controversies, but it is happening in a down period in Dolphins history. It's not as if the Dolphins are being denied rightful opportunity by New England.

I don't remember a late fumble by Lydell Mitchell or anyone else in that 1975 game. It might have happened but it could be a mixed memory of the 1975 and 1977 season finales between Baltimore and New England. I have done that myself.

The '75 Patriots were a young talented team that hadn't learned how to win yet. They were essentially playing for the Dolphins in that finale, after Miami suffered an agonizing defeat in the fog at Baltimore a week earlier. The Dolphins only needed a tie to all but clinch the division. But Bert Jones began his stretch as Dolphins nemesis by converting one third down after another in the heavy fog, driving Baltimore down the field for a game winning field goal deep in overtime. That meant Baltimore only needed to defeat the lowly Patriots a week later to win the division, no matter what the Dolphins did. Miami fans didn't have much hope but New England played inspired throughout, starting with an opening kickoff return for a touchdown. We still had hope until the late interception return.

1977 was the outrageous blown call, when Bert Jones clearly fumbled and the Patriots recovered, but somehow the official ruled Jones was already down, even though he was standing almost straight up when the ball was knocked away. Miami fans were livid, and that lasted for years. It was on top of Baltimore actually benefitting from a loss to Detroit a week earlier. That only exploded the animosity toward Baltimore and Bert Jones, once it was spelled out how a home defeat to a terrible Lions team had helped the Colts in one tiebreaker scenario after another. The Patriots became a lame duck team in that finale, instead of playing for their own fate.

These links are not from a Dolphins perspective but they summarize extremely well:

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/12/15/...overtime-kick-107-colts-beat-dolphins-in.html

https://russellstreetreport.com/2015/10/15/street-talk/ravens-could-borrow-from-the-75-colts/

http://www.patsfans.com/articles/patriots/3163/Colts-Were-More-Hated-In-1970s-Than-Now.html

New England in the 1976 playoffs was the victim of the worst officiating I have ever seen in a team sport. That's one reason I don't begrudge much of anything from this era. John Madden may have technically won a Super Bowl but I have never acknowledged it. That Raiders team should have been out in the first round.

That young Patriots team matured quickly in 1976 and played some scary football. They absolutely shattered Oakland in Foxboro as underdog. It was something like 48-7. I'm not going to look it up but I believe that was the score. Oakland was rolling through the league then New England physically took them apart. Once the playoffs began, I thought New England would defeat Oakland on the road, despite being a 7.5 point underdog.

And for three quarters that game unfolded as I expected. New England was simply the better team. I believe it was 21-10 entering the fourth quarter. Then the officials decided that John Madden and Kenny Stabler were the glamour team the league wanted in the playoffs, setting up a high profile clash with the Steelers. Don't pretend Al Davis was already hated in league circles. That didn't begin in earnest until several years later.

Every call and non-call in that 4th quarter was designed for Oakland to rally. Phil Villipiano would blatantly hold Russ Francis by the jersey and nothing would be called. Francis and the Patriots were in disbelief, while Villipiano smiled, knowing what he was getting away with. On the other side, New England would stop Oakland only for the officials to intervene. I was going nuts.

It still wasn't enough until the final seconds, when Stabler's pass fell harmlessly incomplete on 4th down, seemingly to end the game only for a phantom roughing the passer penalty on nose guard Sugar Bear Hamilton. That play would be hard pressed to be roughing the passer via today's rules. In that era it was unthinkable. He put his hands up to block the pass, made minor contact with Stabler, and somehow it became roughing. Stabler himself scored the game "winning touchdown" almost immediately.

Light years the worst screw job in sports history was Roy Jones' denial in the 1988 Summer Olympics at Seoul. That was such outlandish robbery the international boxing scoring system was changed for 24 years as a direct result. But from a team standpoint I have never seen anyone robbed like those 1976 Patriots, at New Oakland. That's why the 2001 Tuck Rule game was considered evening the score, for those old enough to remember both games.

Last edited:
That actually reminding me of another Pat's one ironically. We sacked Brady and he fumbled and a bunch of players drove for the ball and it got hit backwards. Would have been either 3rd and forever or 4th down but the refs called OV for batting the ball and Pat's got an automatic 1st

yup, this was the one that i was thinking of too

Awsi, I agree on the hate for the Colts and Jones in the 70s. In the 10-7 loss in 1975 there was a controversial call. Strock threw a TD pass to Nat Moore that was called incomplete. Strock referenced the bad call in his book. The infamous Bert Jones fumble was definitely 1977. I remember watching it in the old Orlando airport waiting for a long delayed flight.

Bert Jones and the mid to late '70s Baltimore Colts were the single most hated opponent in Dolphins history. I don't have any problem stating that in matter of fact fashion. It won't be remembered that way because memories fade, generations change, and recency is preferred. But I have experienced every era and there is no question those Colts teams were despised beyond any other divisional rival. Basic reason: the Colts were denying the Dolphins, when we still had Shula in his prime and a great core of the early '70s teams. There was every reason to believe we could do considerable damage in the playoffs, if Jones and the damn Colts would simply stop being so fortunate and resilient, particularly late in the regular season. Brady and the current Patriots cause jealousy and hatred for winning so many championships, plus the obvious controversies, but it is happening in a down period in Dolphins history. It's not as if the Dolphins are being denied rightful opportunity by New England.

I don't remember a late fumble by Lydell Mitchell or anyone else in that 1975 game. It might have happened but it could be a mixed memory of the 1975 and 1977 season finales between Baltimore and New England. I have done that myself.

The '75 Patriots were a young talented team that hadn't learned how to win yet. They were essentially playing for the Dolphins in that finale, after Miami suffered an agonizing defeat in the fog at Baltimore a week earlier. The Dolphins only needed a tie to all but clinch the division. But Bert Jones began his stretch as Dolphins nemesis by converting one third down after another in the heavy fog, driving Baltimore down the field for a game winning field goal deep in overtime. That meant Baltimore only needed to defeat the lowly Patriots a week later to win the division, no matter what the Dolphins did. Miami fans didn't have much hope but New England played inspired throughout, starting with an opening kickoff return for a touchdown. We still had hope until the late interception return.

1977 was the outrageous blown call, when Bert Jones clearly fumbled and the Patriots recovered, but somehow the official ruled Jones was already down, even though he was standing almost straight up when the ball was knocked away. Miami fans were livid, and that lasted for years. It was on top of Baltimore actually benefitting from a loss to Detroit a week earlier. That only exploded the animosity toward Baltimore and Bert Jones, once it was spelled out how a home defeat to a terrible Lions team had helped the Colts in one tiebreaker scenario after another. The Patriots became a lame duck team in that finale, instead of playing for their own fate.

These links are not from a Dolphins perspective but they summarize extremely well:

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/12/15/...overtime-kick-107-colts-beat-dolphins-in.html

https://russellstreetreport.com/2015/10/15/street-talk/ravens-could-borrow-from-the-75-colts/

http://www.patsfans.com/articles/patriots/3163/Colts-Were-More-Hated-In-1970s-Than-Now.html

New England in the 1976 playoffs was the victim of the worst officiating I have ever seen in a team sport. That's one reason I don't begrudge much of anything from this era. John Madden may have technically won a Super Bowl but I have never acknowledged it. That Raiders team should have been out in the first round.

That young Patriots team matured quickly in 1976 and played some scary football. They absolutely shattered Oakland in Foxboro as underdog. It was something like 48-7. I'm not going to look it up but I believe that was the score. Oakland was rolling through the league then New England physically took them apart. Once the playoffs began, I thought New England would defeat Oakland on the road, despite being a 7.5 point underdog.

And for three quarters that game unfolded as I expected. New England was simply the better team. I believe it was 21-10 entering the fourth quarter. Then the officials decided that John Madden and Kenny Stabler were the glamour team the league wanted in the playoffs, setting up a high profile clash with the Steelers. Don't pretend Al Davis was already hated in league circles. That didn't begin in earnest until several years later.

Every call and non-call in that 4th quarter was designed for Oakland to rally. Phil Villipiano would blatantly hold Russ Francis by the jersey and nothing would be called. Francis and the Patriots were in disbelief, while Villipiano smiled, knowing what he was getting away with. On the other side, New England would stop Oakland only for the officials to intervene. I was going nuts.

It still wasn't enough until the final seconds, when Stabler's pass fell harmlessly incomplete on 4th down, seemingly to end the game only for a phantom roughing the passer penalty on nose guard Sugar Bear Hamilton. That play would be hard pressed to be roughing the passer via today's rules. In that era it was unthinkable. He put his hands up to block the pass, made minor contact with Stabler, and somehow it became roughing. Stabler himself scored the game "winning touchdown" almost immediately.

Light years the worst screw job in sports history was Roy Jones' denial in the 1988 Summer Olympics at Seoul. That was such outlandish robbery the international boxing scoring system was changed for 24 years as a direct result. But from a team standpoint I have never seen anyone robbed like those 1976 Patriots, at New Oakland. That's why the 2001 Tuck Rule game was considered evening the score, for those old enough to remember both games.

Means stepped out at the 5yd line I think.
There was another bad call in that game. Miami stopped a 4th and goal run before that at the 1yd line. The ball was fumbled and hit the pylon which should be a touch back with Miami getting the ball at the 20. We got it at the spot of the fumble and then proceeded to get tackled for a safety. That 2 points was the deciding factor in the game.

i believe you are referring to natrone means TD run where he clearly stepped out of bounds

HOLY @#$%, what a memory you have. I thought I had a great memory of those games, but about all I can muster is the foggy, low scoring overtime loss in Baltimore. I'm impressed.

I'll mention another often forgotten one. SB17, 2 minutes left, down 20-17, Washington driving. On 2nd and goal, Riggins was stood up and stopped by a dolphin LB. Before his knee was down he was blasted by Vern den Herder and fumbled. Miami picked it up and advanced it. Officials blew the play dead. Replays showed that the fumble was before the knee touched the ground. Washington scored a TD on the next play. Strock should have had a chance to pull out the game down only 3. That was also den herders last game.

In light of the non pass interference call against the Rams yesterday, do any of you remember any such occurrences in Fin's games that helped/hurt Miami?
LOL, yeah, lots. Maybe the most stark advantage of the NFL's selective enforcement policy is when we go to Foxboro. I remember one game, we had won, and towards the end the refs started manufacturing a series of phantom calls against us to keep the Patriots on life support, it would have been comical if it wasn't so tragic. Yep, gifted the game to Brady and the Patriots … go figure. The two biggest calls that stand out are these. On a late 4th quarter (final drive'ish) 3rd or 4th down play, our CB is standing 5 yards off the receiver at the line of scrimmage, and the CB never really closed that distance … not even close (yeah, Dolphins, we don't do tight coverage well) The WR literally slips and falls in the early part of his pattern, with no Dolphin close to him, then Brady throws an incomplete pass, then after the pass hits the ground, the refs throw a phantom PI flag for the Dolphin who wasn't anywhere close to the guy who fell … a good while AFTER the phantom occurrence … also known as an excuse to gift Brady a 1st down on his 'game winning drive.' Yeah it made me pretty sick, because it was an obvious cheat.

But even worse was the subsequent interception that Brady threw. He literally through it directly at our safety, who went straight forward to the ball and caught the ball with two arms as it came directly to him and hit him in the belly for an easy interception. Running his patter was a Patriot pass catcher (Gronkowski?) who almost got to the ball, but instead just barreled into our safety and tried to knock the ball out of our safety's hands. He was unsuccessful, we intercepted the pass, we have the ball, game over. Enter the cheating refs. So after this happens, the refs forget that the defender has any rights to the ball, ignored all of the evidence, and scandalously called the intercepting safety--who went straight towards the ball that was thrown directly at him--for pass interference. What a joke. But hey, the New England area is a huge media market, and the fan base of the Patriots is huge. The NFL wants them to win.

Am I shocked that a game-winning penalty against the NFL's new darling mega-market LA team failed to be called against a smaller market New Orleans? Nah, not shocked, not even surprised, but I am appalled. I'm fairly certain that had the Rams still ben in St. Louis that the correct call would have been made. No way the refs missed seeing it happen, IMHO.

I'm sure you are right. I remember the fumble, the Pat running toward the end zone and play being called dead because official blocked from the play had blown the whistle costing Miami division and playoffs. And then feeling crushed. As a kid my life felt like it depended on outcomes of the Dolphins games.

My research yesterday to fill in details led me to look for play-by-play to be accurate on who fumbled, time, etc... and came across the 1975 season where Colts and Dolphins both finishing 10-4 (just like 1977) and Colts beat Pats on 4th quarter comeback in final game (just like 1977). I assumed that 1975 game was the game it happened in and looked for play-by-play on several sites but only found box scores. I obviously engaged in MSU (making **** up) by blending my memory with that 1975 box score. Once I thought that "had to be" the game I didn't go on any further which I would have found 1977 season that ended so similarly as far as records and Colts beating Pats on 4th quarter comeback.

My apologies to anyone who might be offended by my mistake and thank you for the clarification!

You have a great memory for details. What's your secret?

Great point about the hatred for the Colts and Jones and how that differs from the Pats nowadays, for me. I've not found myself hating the Pats and Brady and was thinking about that yesterday after reading how many fans on this forum seem to. I was thinking I've matured emotionally (haha), but it may just be that I don't see the Pats having taken away or blocked Miami from achieving playoffs and SB runs because Miami simply hasn't been good enough to compete at that level. I actually have the utmost respect for the Pats and Brady. What they've accomplished is one of the most remarkable thing I've seen in sports. I put it up there with LeBron leading teams to 8 straight Finals appearances. Those runs don't happen by accident.

The Cowboys (SB victory over Dolphins) and Raiders (Sea of Hands) were the two other teams I hated as a kid. Like you identified, they had blocked Miami. I recall that Patriots victory over the Raiders in 76 which is the only game they lost that year.

And Roy Jones Jr brings back memories and yeah he clearly got robbed of Gold by a ref from the same country as the fighter he KO'd. A little like Matt Hamill beating Jon Jones. The fighter who wins is helpless on the ground.

Roy Jones Jr. was the most talented boxer I've seen until he went up to heavyweight and then came back down to light-heavyweight and fought Tarver. Unfortunately he stayed in the game way too long. I taped Roy's fight against Vinny Pazienza and replayed over and over Roy throw 3 or 4 left hooks, one after the other, in slow motion and it looked like real time speed.

And thanks again for the clarification.

Adam, thats why i hate the bills becoming a late in the late 80's early 90's...

I think Hal Habib just took your post and wrote a story around the event for the PBP

I remember the hatred for the Colts. In 1988 I spent a week with a bud in Baltimore. His apartment backed against what had been the Colts' practice facility. I took a very small bit of satisfaction hearing him tell his recollection of the night the team loaded up trucks and absconded in the middle of the night for its move to Indianapolis.

Forget the player but it was a Monday night against the Jets and we smashed one of their receivers and got called for HITTING A DEFENSELESS PLAYER. Mind you this was circa 2002. The first time I ever heard that called in a game. I think it was Brian Walker that made the hit. It was the same game the TERMINATOR predicted the Jets were going to win even though we were up big.

I believe you're talking about the Monday Night game in 2000.

Back
Top Bottom