Better or Worse (State of the franchise post draft) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better or Worse (State of the franchise post draft)

Small nitpick but I would argue our WR group is same or worse…

trading Sherfield for Berrios is a net negative as a pure WR I would say… who knows what happens with Anderson and I think Ced Wilson has a bounce back year… so I would grade it even with a hope that we get something more from Cedric Wilson this year.

Overall, we’re improved everywhere but the OL (which is a bit of a concern but hope we get some depth).
Imo you’re sleeping on a player that will make an impact this year and that’s Ez

Nice review. Well thought out. Hard to disagree with anything. I think TE Smythe might surprise us with a serviceable year. I was hoping for Kuntz in the draft, but it’s so hard to predict how any TE will be used in McD system given our WR assets.

I look for our running game to be very improved with Achane and even the UDFA from BYU might have a chance to stick as a power back. He’s big.
I think the rb room is fine. We just have to commit to running the ball a bit more.

@SF Dolphin Fan great post brother. I agree with your overall analysis. But do have concerns with Miami's new OL Coach, Butch Barry. He was ran out of town while with Denver. And didn't do a good job while at The University of Miami. Although, while at Denver, they had good stats in the run game. McDaniel's familiarity with Barry is potentially the only saving grace. I just hope the players don't revolt on him, like they did in Denver.

The Offensive Line is still a huge question mark. No other way to see it. The F/O seems to be filled with false hope, once again.

Saubert is a very good addition to the TE room. He brings the exact trait McDaniel seems to want in his TE. And that is too block. And Saubert is a good blocker.

On paper Miami's secondary appears to be dominant. Question is, Will they be dominant? Needham and Jones are returning from injury. But will they return to form? If not, it could be another lackluster performance from the secondary.

Lastly, will McDaniel finally utilize all his weapons? Will he continue to force the long ball? Will he adjust? These are all legitimate questions that have yet to be answered.
I think/hope McDaniel is smart enough to realize he has to adjust. They definitely have to be more balanced with the run game.

I have the same concerns about Barry. But both McDaniel and Fangio must believe in him.

At the very least, Miami will have tight ends who can block. Maybe Higgins or Connor become the receiving threat McDaniel is looking for.

Imo you’re sleeping on a player that will make an impact this year and that’s Ez
I am? When OP does his grading, should it be based on hope? Ideally, EZ does something this year in year 2… but what’s that based on?

Your guess is as good as anyone else’s. His potential doesn’t change the grade for the WR room.

The line last year was fine when TA played.
What is your realistic expectations for him playing this 2024 season at age 32?

The line was fine last year with TA playing but he only played in 13 regular season games.

For his career he has only managed to play 15 games 1 time. He hasn’t consistently practiced , if at all, with a team he has played on in over 2 years. I believe I read somewhere that he has his physical therapist live with him during the season.

After week 1 he injured his toe and was advised to have surgery and decided against it.

At the end of last season, TA had 4 body parts show up on the Dolphins injury report (pec, toe, knee & hip).

With all those facts I just mentioned coupled with the fact, Miami’s schedule is one of the tougher this 2023 season, do you honestly think TA is going to be on the field enough not only to get the Phins into the playoffs with home field advantage or at least securing the AFC East #1 seed but to help them DEEP into the playoffs?

Hope is one thing but ignoring a player’s health history is quite another.

Does anyone know whether TA in fact had surgery on his foot? If not, and he was advised to have it back in week 1 last year, how will that effect him this upcoming season at age 32?

I think it’s very hard to predict if our TE room got better or worse.
Old TE Room…..
Gesicki
Smythe
Carter
Long
Connor

New TE Room…..
Smythe
Saubert
Kroft
Connor
Higgins

In 2021, Gesicki had 73 catches for 780 yards while being targeted 112 times. That was the best season of his career…..
In 2022, Gesicki had 32 catches for 362 yards while being targeted 52 times. We all knew before the season starter that Gesicki didn’t fit McDaniel’s scheme…..

So think of it like this when it comes to replacing Gesicki…
We’re not replacing the Gesicki that had 73 catches for 780 yards…
We’re replacing the Gesicki that had 32 catches for 362 yards…

Cethan Carter was just consistently dealing with injuries and rarely touched the field for us.

Hunter Long was just a draft bust that never seen the field for us.

Saubert and Kroft are not big receiving threats but they’re good at blocking….

Elijah Higgins is just a rookie but he’s gonna be more of a receiving TE that has potential to shed off tacklers to fight for extra yards….

So we basically brought in Saubert, Kroft, and Higgins to replace 32 catches and 362 yards, horrible blocking, and 2 bench warmers….

This why I feel like it’s hard to just say our TE room declined when the only TE that we’re really replacing is Gesicki and he couldn’t block and declined as a receiver in McDaniel’s offense…..

PS at best. He’s just not very good.
Very narrowed minded assessment of a 7th round rookie, forced into games he wasn’t ready for…because the “franchise QB and the high priced backup can’t stay on the field?

I saw flashes with Skyler that give you hope he can develop…

Most rookie QB’s don’t have the lightbulb go on in year 1…Marino did, Tua didn’t…as he was pulled twice from games and replaced late in the season!

I actually like having Skyler in year 2 and look forward to seeing if he can grow from the experience he got last year?

Skyler is our only QB with playoff experience……

Also…the line was injured in most of his games as I recall, I think he only had Armstead in the Jets win and playoff game at the end of the season? ( correct me if I’m wrong about that?)

Very narrowed minded assessment of a 7th round rookie, forced into games he wasn’t ready for…because the “franchise QB and the high priced backup can’t stay on the field?

Most rookie QB’s don’t have the lightbulb go on in year 1…Marino did, Tua didn’t…as he was pulled twice from games and replaced late in the season!

I actually like having Skyler in year 2 and look forward to seeing if he can grow from the experience he got last year?

Also…the line was injured in most of his games as I recall, I think he only had Armstead in the Jets win and playoff game at the end of the season? ( correct me if I’m wrong about that?)
I appreciate your rosy outlook but “flashes” don’t get you on a roster, especially backing up an oft injured starting QB. If we haven’t learned anything, we’ve learned over the last 3-4 years how critical the backup is to this team’s success. Why was Mike White signed and given a two year deal for 8M? Miami isn’t carrying three QBs on the active roster again. Sorry for all the QB1 Skylar fanboys out there but he’s not making this roster.

Last edited:
What is your realistic expectations for him playing this 2024 season at age 32?

The line was fine last year with TA playing but he only played in 13 regular season games.

For his career he has only managed to play 15 games 1 time. He hasn’t consistently practiced , if at all, with a team he has played on in over 2 years. I believe I read somewhere that he has his physical therapist live with him during the season.

After week 1 he injured his toe and was advised to have surgery and decided against it.

At the end of last season, TA had 4 body parts show up on the Dolphins injury report (pec, toe, knee & hip).

With all those facts I just mentioned coupled with the fact, Miami’s schedule is one of the tougher this 2023 season, do you honestly think TA is going to be on the field enough not only to get the Phins into the playoffs with home field advantage or at least securing the AFC East #1 seed but to help them DEEP into the playoffs?

Hope is one thing but ignoring a player’s health history is quite another.

Does anyone know whether TA in fact had surgery on his foot? If not, and he was advised to have it back in week 1 last year, how will that effect him this upcoming season at age 32?
I hear you. It’s looking like he’s held together with duct tape and chewing gum. Odds are he doesn’t play the full season.

I’m w you. I don’t think it’s a given that White beats him out. Whites record and stats are no more impressive and as you say ST got some great experience playing the Jets and Bills in high pressure situations

I’m w you. I don’t think it’s a given that White beats him out. Whites record and stats are no more impressive and as you say ST got some great experience playing the Jets and Bills in high pressure situations
Other than the starting QB please name a more important position to the MD than backup QB? I think not. 1683726704513.png

I am? When OP does his grading, should it be based on hope? Ideally, EZ does something this year in year 2… but what’s that based on?

Your guess is as good as anyone else’s. His potential doesn’t change the grade for the WR room.
Hmmm, you’re correct we don’t know if the kid has a learning issue.. but it is a projection of talent, just like you left him out I dont think you can rule him out, but I know what you’re saying

I did see it live so it’s not based on just hope.

Last edited:
With the draft in the rearview mirror and free agency nearing an end, how does Miami compare with last year? Here are my thoughts.

Coaching (better)
Bringing in Fangio might be the best move of the offseason. Specifically, I think we'll see the Dolphins have a better plan against mobile quarterbacks and perform more consistently in crucial third down situations (get off the field). McDaniel should also be better in his second year in terms of clock management, when to be bold and when to be conservative, all the nitty, gritty details of coaching. I would also like to see him get on the officials more if the late season holding issues on Hill and Waddle continue. (Man, do I miss Shula in that regard).

Quarterback (slighly better)
It's a fair expectation that Tua and Thompson will be slightly better in year two of the system. White should be more durable than Bridgewater. Hopefully, we won't find out.

Offensive Line (same)
Butch Barry is yet another new offensive line coach in what has been a revolving door at that coaching position. He wasn't exactly perceived well in Denver, but was with McDaniel in San Francisco. Perhaps he can unlock something in Eichenberg and/or Jackson. Feeney is the only new addition on the offensive line (so far), with standouts Armstead, Williams and Hunt returning. As it stands, this is the biggest question mark for Miami, but perhaps there's more depth with Feeney. Hayes, a 7th rounder, has a chance to be the swing tackle or even challenge Eichenberg at guard. June 1 addition?

Running Back (better)
Surprisingly, Miami brought back the entire running back room. Then, they added Achane in the 3rd round. Cook rumors still persist, but I'm not sure contract-wise that works for the Dolphins. It will be interesting to see how McDaniel incorporates Achane in the lineup. He may be the best receiver among the running backs.

Wide Receivers (better)
This may be the best wide receiver room in the NFL. The Dolphins added Berrios and Anderson to go along with the dynamic duo of Hill and Waddle. Wilson, Ezukanma, and Cracraft figure to compete for one or two spots. Berrios could be a huge upgrade in the slot. No guarantees with Anderson, but potentially that could be a big addition.

Tight End (worse)
Maybe questionable should be used instead of worse. But, like him or not, Gesicki did have some good years for Miami. It was obvious he wasn't a fit in this system, but what do the Dolphins have? Smythe is probably TE1 and Saubert could help as a blocker. The wildcards are Higgins, drafted in the 6th, and Connor, an undrafted free agent in 2022. Both are converted wide receivers. McDaniel thought enough of Connor's potential to keep him on the roster and not expose him on the practice squad. I would imagine those two are battling for one spot. June 1 addition?

Defensive Line (same)
A healthy Ogbah should make a difference. Wilkins and Seiler in the middle is a significant strength. Not a lot of depth besides Davis, Twyman. This may be a spot where an UDFA could make the team.

Linebacker (better)
If he can stay on the field, Long could be one of the key additions for Miami this season. Having Chubb for an entire season, and reuniting with Fangio, should help as well. Phillips is a budding superstar and Baker could do better under Fangio. Tindall could emerge as well.

Secondary (better)
PFF had the Dolphins secondary ranked second to Green Bay entering the 2022 season. The entire unit was decimated by injuries and Byron Jones didn't play a single snap. On a positive note, Kohou was a huge bright spot for Miami as the best UDFA for the team last year. The addition of Ramsey should be huge. Cam Smith was added in the 2nd round and Elliott could have an impact at safety. This should be a huge strength and one of the best units in the NFL.

Special Teams (better)
Berrios and Achance move the needle significantly for the return game.
The game is won in the trenches and I'm pretty disappointed at our lack of getting help on both sides. Love the Ramsey trade but we desperately need help on both lines. That's where winning and losing is determined, especially for this team.

I appreciate your rosy outlook but “flashes” don’t get you on a roster, especially backing up an oft injured starting QB. If we haven’t learned anything, we’ve learned over the last 3-4 years how critical the backup is to this team’s success. Why was Mike White signed and given a two year deal for 8M? Miami isn’t carrying three QBs on the active roster again. Sorry for all the QB1 Skylar fanboys out there but he’s not making this roster.
I think 3 QBs will be the standard going forward, and not just for us. Changes to the concussion protocol and spotters make it far too risky to only carry 2 QBs.

Back
Top Bottom