Big Bad Buff Boys Coming to Town Favored by 5.5 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Bad Buff Boys Coming to Town Favored by 5.5

I only post on here before we play the Fins and just wanted to let you know how Bills fans are feeling right now. There's one group that thinks Josh Allen is a god who can't be stopped against the Phins and that Tua is a left handed Alex Smith. There's the rational group who realizes we could be in big trouble with a decimated secondary, a short week, the heat in Miami, and a really hungry Dolphins team. We're also aware that Allen can put up some periodical clunkers.

Injuries to our secondary and your cheat code speed WR's are my biggest concern. Our entire starting secondary out (White, Jackson, Hyde, Poyer) going against the fastest dual of WR's in the NFL. The first three are guaranteed to miss and Poyer is an unknown at this point. We will have two rookies starting and at least one reserve at safety. Hyde is our biggest loss as he specializes in preventing big plays. Tua is an above average qb with excellent accuracy and good enough arm strength who should expose them if given time. Your pass protection will be the key to you either putting up 20 or 40. Our front six should be okay minus the loss of Jordan Phillips. I expect Oliver and Settle back up front. Miller and Rousseau need to show up big and generate organic pressure as we'll keep seven back because we need too or we'll look like 4th quarter Baltimore last week. McDermott has done well against Shanahan style offenses but this is a different animal with a banged up secondary going against two speed demons from hell.

Our offense is mostly healthy and hopefully Davis is ready to go and his bum ankle doesn't make him ineffective on Sunday. I only see two outcomes. A humbling blowout in the Miami heat or a close shootout that can go either way. For the latter to occur we need Josh to be on his A game and play much better than he did in the two games against you last year. I already put money on the Fins at +5.5 once I heard Hyde was seeking a second opinion on his neck. I'm hoping for a close Bills victory but if we do get crushed I hedged my emotions with my wallet. This could be a fun rivalry like the 90's over the next decade and I wish you nothing but ill will along with disappointment and heartbreak.
Appreciate the post. Honestly, I don't think blowing the doors off Buffalo is a legitimate potential outcome. The question is whether we can run the ball. The longer the Bills D is on the field, the better shot we have at gassing them in the 4th. Even if Buffalo gets alot of pressure on Tua, he can get the ball out fast. Turnovers will be key and holding you guys to FGs. I think this is going to be a close game.

I only post on here before we play the Fins and just wanted to let you know how Bills fans are feeling right now. There's one group that thinks Josh Allen is a god who can't be stopped against the Phins and that Tua is a left handed Alex Smith. There's the rational group who realizes we could be in big trouble with a decimated secondary, a short week, the heat in Miami, and a really hungry Dolphins team. We're also aware that Allen can put up some periodical clunkers.

Injuries to our secondary and your cheat code speed WR's are my biggest concern. Our entire starting secondary out (White, Jackson, Hyde, Poyer) going against the fastest dual of WR's in the NFL. The first three are guaranteed to miss and Poyer is an unknown at this point. We will have two rookies starting and at least one reserve at safety. Hyde is our biggest loss as he specializes in preventing big plays. Tua is an above average qb with excellent accuracy and good enough arm strength who should expose them if given time. Your pass protection will be the key to you either putting up 20 or 40. Our front six should be okay minus the loss of Jordan Phillips. I expect Oliver and Settle back up front. Miller and Rousseau need to show up big and generate organic pressure as we'll keep seven back because we need too or we'll look like 4th quarter Baltimore last week. McDermott has done well against Shanahan style offenses but this is a different animal with a banged up secondary going against two speed demons from hell.

Our offense is mostly healthy and hopefully Davis is ready to go and his bum ankle doesn't make him ineffective on Sunday. I only see two outcomes. A humbling blowout in the Miami heat or a close shootout that can go either way. For the latter to occur we need Josh to be on his A game and play much better than he did in the two games against you last year. I already put money on the Fins at +5.5 once I heard Hyde was seeking a second opinion on his neck. I'm hoping for a close Bills victory but if we do get crushed I hedged my emotions with my wallet. This could be a fun rivalry like the 90's over the next decade and I wish you nothing but ill will along with disappointment and heartbreak.
Nice write up. Very level headed and I agree with everything you said, minus the possibility of a Funs blowout win. As much as I would love that, the Bills just look way too good this year for us to blow them out. I mean, anything can happen, any given Sunday and all that, but that outcome would totally shock me. Miami’s best hope is that Hill + Waddle will be too much to handle for a pair of rookie CBs. If Armstead is out for us, though, I’m very worried about your defensive front wrecking the day for us.

Buffalo moneyline is the play. We are either elated, or we win money.
I Guess If You Say So GIF

Bills are already down here. I read they are staying in a Palm Beach County hotel and practicing in same field NE Patsies practiced.

Its going to be a hard game to win after the type of win they got last week... Human nature is human nature regardless of talent... I expect a sloppy game by the Fins and alot of people blowing **** out of proportion after the game...

Hyde, Dane Jackson, Oliver and Phillips are all out (like I predicted).

Good news Dane was at practice today doing individuals. Hyde though rumor circulating that he might be done for season

From-3.5 to -5.5 is a 2 point jump. Bettors are hitting Buffalo They don’t truly believe in Miami. How glorious would it be to get another win.
There hasn't been a 2-point jump or much of a move at all. The joints that were dealing this game for weeks had it -4 or -4.5. That's where it was sitting on Monday night when it was pulled during the Bills/Titans game. That is standard practice. Most joints will yank the following weeks games that involve the Monday Night teams. A few might leave it up but with low limits. Harrah's always did that when I lived in town.

Once the Bills slaughtered the Titans, that impacts the Buffalo power rating. The number was adjusted upward to -5.5. But there was no money involved in that move. It was moved up because the oddsmakers know the power rating went up and likewise public impression of Buffalo. They were no longer going to get reasonably balanced action at -4.

You can check the progression of the number at various spots at this link. They now default view to current number on top. Scroll down to Monday afternoon. The line is sitting -4. Then the next number that shows is -5.5. That's because it was pulled. There is a lengthy time gap between the -4 and -5.5. You'll see that at one joint after another if you continue to scroll down. Some places reestablish the number late Monday night while others leave it off until Tuesday morning.

As I've emphasized, betting odds are strictly based on power ratings and home field adjustment, if any. There is no such thing as a backroom brainstorming session involving matchup discussion or series history or any similar nonsense. It is a handful of guys, all looking at mostly the same sets of power rating numbers. They sit down at the meeting with their numbers already made for each game.

The chief oddsmaker then asks each guy for his number. That's it. There is zero discussion of players or coaches or injuries or similar trivia. Basically the only thing the chief oddsmaker cares about is recent betting trends on the two particular teams. That topic overwhelms anything else that is likely to come up. If one team is consistently drawing money, or money against, the chief oddsmaker will be annoyed if the other guys in the room are not adjusting their numbers to match the trend. Therefore he'll exert his influence. The conversation goes something like this: "Everybody likes 4. They bet this team every week. We're going with 4.5."

There won't be any argument. On to the next game. Each game requires perhaps 90 seconds tops. The public would be stunned if they saw how simplistic it is. It would be blatantly obvious that it's a sheer numbers game. The curtain would be pulled on the industry, with the aura immediately gone. That's why they never allow a series or a documentary to go behind the scenes and film what it's really like. They have a phony image to protect...of all-knowing and so mysterious. I have to laugh every time posters on sports forums try to insist there's more to it, that it's not simply power ratings. Talk about gullible fools.

Years ago there was a very good Las Vegas website that ran an article called, "Las Vegas 7, Making the Line." Something like that. I posted the link on several sites, possibly including here. I think I posted it here. That article included a few pictures and quotes from a real time odds making session. Everything was exactly as I described above. It's the only time since I left town that I've seen the situation accurately portrayed. Too bad that site and link no longer exist. The amusing aspect was that the guys obviously knew there would be cameras and a reporter. They were dressed up far more elaborately than the norm. Typically they'd wander into the room wearing dirty sweats and smelled like they just walked up and down Industrial Road all day.

Line is starting to drop. Guess between the injuries for the Bills and more money coming in on the +6.5 spread on Miami.

Agree. It's just that Buffalo is operating on all cylinders. They look very much like the best team in football.

Doesn't mean Miami can't win. But it has to be a game where the Dolphins win the turnover battle and limit mistakes.

I expect Miami will play with a lot of energy. The wildcard, of course, is Tyreek Hill and what he adds to this team. Hill was brought in to help bridge the gap, to give Miami that explosive offense that can match the best. We saw that firsthand against Baltimore. Buffalo is a tougher test.

I can't wait.

Sorry. I'm concerned the BALT game was draining. Everything else, I agree

I remember in the 70's, there was 1 guy in vegas who set the lines for all the games. He was super accurate but later died. It was a crap shoot after that.

My ex brother in law is/was a big gambler with all his theories on gambling. I know many believe that they set the line so they get equal betting on both sides so they can make the juice. According to my BIL, he said that is what they want you to believe. The juice money is peanuts to them. What they want is for the betting to go all one sided and win the big bucks. Most bettors make poor choices. That's why gambling so hard to win consistently.
You are talking about Bob Martin. He was heavily revered when I arrived in town in 1984, to the point it was sacrilegious to say anything that could be deemed as a knock. The older guys in particular got wide eyed and gushed over Bob Martin.

I didn't care. I was a young confident guy who had already purchased all of the record books at Gamblers Book Club. Bob Martin relied on feel. He generally had a very good feel for the NFL. But his college numbers were very weak. I would go back a decade or so, apply my basic statistical formulas, and be astonished at how bad those numbers were, especially in comparison to what I was dealing with during the mid '80s. Bob Martin did not give nearly enough respect to the college powerhouses, especially the line of scrimmage mismatch games. That was the running era, the wishbone era. I looked at the old spreads and it was like you were getting a free 10 point teaser on one game after another.

Bob Martin had essentially retired by 1984. A young guy named Michael Roxy Roxborough took over. He was more savvy than Bob Martin but obviously had to earn the trust of the sports book industry, which was being run by lots of old-time bookmakers. Roxy had some tough times early, especially with some USFL numbers that he later admitted were the worst work he'd ever done.

By the late '80s I was established enough that I started being invited on the top sports handicapping radio programs. Roxy was co-host on the most popular one, the Stardust Line. Once it was obvious we respected each other I told him off-air that I had done plenty of research and that his college lines were far superior to Bob Martin's, regardless of conventional wisdom. Roxy offered a coy smile and said, "You're exactly right. Some of those numbers were dreadful."

It felt like a shared knowledge that both of us understood we couldn't blab all over town. Nobody wanted to hear anything negative about Bob Martin.

The famous sports bettor Billy Walters is nothing but a crook. I've detailed that on countless sites. Walters doesn't do anything without a manipulated advantage. He became rich and famed due to his Computer Group years of wagering on college football. No kidding. He was betting into those soft Bob Martin college numbers, which were particularly pathetic in the late '70s and early '80s. Martin was getting old and preparing to retire so it's sensible he didn't devote as much time or was simply faltering. I was in college during those years and feasting on college football. One year I intentionally delayed paying my fee bill so I'd have more cash to wager with. The bookie's son at Troy Hall used to call me late every Saturday night and scream at me, saying they would get all the money back the next day in the NFL.

He was mostly correct. Damn. It sickens me to realize that the Cream/Crowd/Crap system was already available and thriving at that point. I just hadn't discovered it yet.

Billy Walters and his Computer Group dominated college football wagering from 1980 through 1983. That was the end of the Bob Martin era. You didn't need a computer. I was beating those lines simply by playing the line of scrimmage mismatches. Once Roxy Roxborough took over he jacked up those favorites. The giveaways were steadily gone, especially after Roxy established his footing and surrounded himself with sharper oddsmakers. By the time I met Billy Walters in 1989 he was running an increasingly desperate and deceitful operation, no longer able to beat the college numbers on the square. Too bad the feds didn't pin any of the early sports betting charges on him. They were legitimate. They finally got him on stock market shenanigans.

Thoughts of the followin Same Game Parlay. BTW, All of them are backed with researched

Josh Allen over 1.5 TD
T.Hill over 6.5 Receptions
J.Waddle over 5.5 Receptions
Over 52.5

Its going to be a hard game to win after the type of win they got last week... Human nature is human nature regardless of talent... I expect a sloppy game by the Fins and alot of people blowing **** out of proportion after the game...
I kind of have the same feeling. I always seem to get my hopes up then we get the barn doors blown off us and whoop, back to reality. Look, we have definitely improved on O, Line will be tested I'm afraid, but after that big-time win on a short week against a powerhouse divisional opponent, tough row to hoe. I will be happy with a close game, of course, a win is immediate personal gratification time. Just don't want a big letdown,

Back
Top Bottom