Big Myth | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Myth

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
It may be redundint, but I wanted to post this by itself.

I would like to end a big myth about the Bills pass defense last season that any one that can read between the lines would see(thats why Prisco missed it.) When you have a 3-13 season that means you are pretty horrible, and weren't in many games after half time. (Rhetorical question alert) What is the offensive game plan of any caoch worth a damn if they come in to the second half in controll of the game? RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN(capt. obvious so even people living in Buffalo will understand) the football, and don't do anything to put your D in jeopardy. How many pass attempts did Buffalo's opposition have in the 2nd half of their 6 games they lost by more than 14 points? How about the 3 games they lost by more then 20? The fact that Buffalo had the 11 ranked pass defense just shows that the NFL is not college football and every team besides the Rams beleave in mercy. Every WR that is half way decent treated the Bills CBs like they were their bit*hes when it counted, but rarely had to a play full game to win. Some one please post the pic of Chambers breaking Irvin's will going way up in the air for a td.

The numbers are too close to call

2001 Bills Def 453 PA vs Mia Def 467 PA
2001 Bills Def 482 RA vs Mia Def 453

Winfield & Clements are both first rounders, so they should be having an impact. Buffalo held it's own against the pass, but couldn't do **** against the run.

Originally posted by BigDoug
The numbers are too close to call

2001 Bills Def 453 PA vs Mia Def 467 PA
2001 Bills Def 482 RA vs Mia Def 453

Winfield & Clements are both first rounders, so they should be having an impact. Buffalo held it's own against the pass, but couldn't do **** against the run.

Once DG went down we weren't great on run D either. Whats your point?

Originally posted by Dajesus
It may be redundint, but I wanted to post this by itself.

I would like to end a big myth about the Bills pass defense last season that any one that can read between the lines would see(thats why Prisco missed it.) When you have a 3-13 season that means you are pretty horrible, and weren't in many games after half time. (Rhetorical question alert) What is the offensive game plan of any caoch worth a damn if they come in to the second half in controll of the game? RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN(capt. obvious so even people living in Buffalo will understand) the football, and don't do anything to put your D in jeopardy. How many pass attempts did Buffalo's opposition have in the 2nd half of their 6 games they lost by more than 14 points? How about the 3 games they lost by more then 20? The fact that Buffalo had the 11 ranked pass defense just shows that the NFL is not college football and every team besides the Rams beleave in mercy. Every WR that is half way decent treated the Bills CBs like they were their bit*hes when it counted, but rarely had to a play full game to win. Some one please post the pic of Chambers breaking Irvin's will going way up in the air for a td.
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/attachment.php?s=&postid=38414

Boo's got a point. After our line fell apart with injuries, the 'Fins run 'D' didn't look all that great either. In fact, towards the end of the season I was beginning to wonder if we could stop anybody, then the payoffs came around and...we couldn't.

Sometimes Stats can be deceiving, as it has already been said, because teams don't throw the ball when they are up 14+ in the second half. If a team is constantly getting blown out, they will see far less passes.

I remember a few years ago, when i think it was the Saints, were REALLY bad, but had the 3rd best pass D in the league. Their secondary was bad, but their front 7 was even worse and couldn't stop anybody, so teams continually banged it down their throats.

The end doesn't always explain the means.

What is the myth? I think everyone in Buffalo knows the Bills' defense was pretty bad last season. The two corners that will start for the Bills this year are young, good and getting better, but they couldn't do it alone last year. Buffalo's pass russ was pretty weak, run defense very poor, linebacking barely adequate after Sam Cowart went down. Dajesus specifically mentions Ken Irvin getting toasted by Christ Chambers last year. Buffalo fans have known for years that Ken Irvin couldn't cut it, especially in man for man coverage. He was able to hold on to his starting position only because Buffalo kept losing better corners to free agency. Ken, who happens to be a great guy in spite of being overwhelmed as an NFL cornerback, will be defending passes for the New Orleans Saints, Dajesus.

Buffalo's biggest improvements in the offseason have been to the offence, but I think you might be surprised that the defense will not be so vulnerable to the run, and Chris Chambers will be challenged more than Ken Irvin was able to do last year. Chris is still a great receiver, and will get his catches as he will against any team, but no one is going to walk over the Bills this year.

Doug do you really think I am all wet, because i don't, and here is why. Buffalo Bills ranked #11 in the league against the pass and had 454 2nd only to NO in fewest pass attempts against. The league average was 522(only 4 out of the 10 teams ahead of them had less than 500(2 of those had 490+). 454 divided by 16= 28 thats how many pass attempts per game buffalo allowed, there average being around 50(actully more, but this is getting complacated) attempts less than the teams ahead of them would = just about to more games of 28 attempts per, bufflao allowed 211 yards per game, so if they allowed the average number of passing attempts they would have about 422 yards more over the course of the season, 422/16=26 yards more per game, so 26+211= 237 witch would put them the 6th worst team against the pass. All that math was basicly done to prove that #11 ranking was undeserved because they weren't in games long enough for teams to keep passing the football. Do the same math with Miami, and they would still be in the top 15 in passing yards against. The reason for miami having less pass attempts per game than the average is for different reasons obviously. Miami has been among the top 10 against the pass for years now, Madison, Surtain, and Marrion are well respected among offensive cordinators. As Indy has shown in the past few years, most teams besides the Rams can not beet the Dolphins D by passing everydown. It is well known that if you can't run agianst Miami you wont win. The Bills however were below the average because every offense could do what ever they wanted, and the Bills offense couldn't keep up as shown in my first post. You don't continue to air it out while nursing a 14+ point lead.

Originally posted by BigDoug
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Am I missing a big joke? What does this have anything to do with anything? I am not familliar with your other posts doug, ru the type that has to bring up non sence everytime someone actully debates your posts with facts? That seems to be a big trend with Bills fans. Although I hate the Jets much more than the Bills(mainly because they pose a real threat to Miami), i enjoy debating football with Jet fans so much more. For the most part they back up what they say with actual football knowledge, and don't start spewing filth when they can't hang with a convo.

Well....we obviously were not too good against the run last year...

Particularly up the middle....I think that Winfield and Clements are excellent corners....you throw Chris Watson in and you have 3 good ones....

But a NFL corner can only cover for so long when you are not getting a pass rush on opposing QB's....and when you give up 3rd and longs because you cannot stop the run that says a lot too...

But also....my dolphin neighbors...keep in mind that we had the youngest team in the league last year and just went through a HUGE turnover....after the salary cap ravaged us we got hit with the worst injury bug then I have ever seen for any bills team EVER......I hate too use it as a excuse but when your backup, backups are hobbling around...you are in trouble...we lost the leader of our defense in Sam Cowart in the first QUARTER of our season.....we were playing rookies and first year guys up and down the line.....and our offense was really struggling to run the ball because of horrible line play....

But there is much reason for optimism.......inexperience has been replaced by guys like London Fletcher, Eddie Robinson, and Billy Jenkins....our rookies are now 2nd year guys....and we drafted a pretty good end in Ryan Denny.....

Which will be aided by a much improved running game behind Mike Williams, Ruben Brown, Tre Teague, Jonas Jennings and steady but unspectaculor Jerry Ostroski.....we have gotten the blocking TE we haven't had in a while...and of course Drew Bledsoe....

We are looking to give you a game this year

I sure did, and you mythed your chance for redemption. It seems I found a towel and all you found was a bad sence of humor.

Back
Top Bottom