Big Trouble Looms for the Rams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Trouble Looms for the Rams

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Trouble in paradise?? Thank you God. And it's not just Faulk.

From the GBN Report

By Michael Jessen
May 22, 2002: Faulk May Walk If Rams Don't Give Him Superstar Dollars...

There's a storm brewing with Marshall Faulk that doesn't bode well for the MVP RB's future in St. Louis. Here's the skinny. Faulk's contract is up after this season and he's told friends he'll be gone if the Rams don't give him a new deal including a minimum $10 million signing bonus. That means Faulk is likely facing a head-on collision with the organization which is concerned about a possible diminuation of Faulk's skill in the coming seasons. Plus, a huge signing bonus on a long-term deal for an aging back would likely catapult the Rams into salary cap hell? That's not something the astute Rams are likely to do. Faulk will be 30 after this season. He'll have nine NFL years behind him and may be running out of good years. Of course, Faulk himself doesn't see it that way. Faulk was the NFL MVP two of the three years he's been a Ram and one could argue he should have gone three-for-three. "He feels he's earned the next big contract," said a source close to Faulk. "If he doesn't get it, he'll leave. He's not very happy right now. That would push him over the edge."

Faulk's angst in St. Louis, however, also goes somewhat beyond just money. Faulk is reportedly unhappy because he feels the Rams blew the Super Bowl against the Patriots after New England head coach Bill Belichick goaded Rams' mentor Mike Martz into abandoning the running game in some kind of twisted ego play. When the Rams had the ball, the wily Belichick only rushed three and dropped eight defenders into coverage, in the process daring Martz to give the Patriots a heavy dose of Faulk, as he had done when he pulled out the NFC championship game against the Eagles. But Martz stubbornly stuck with Kurt Warner's gun and took the Rams down with him. How steamed was Faulk? He didn't talk to Martz until last month, when an uneasy peace was thrashed out. But Faulk isn't the only one blaming Martz for what happened in New Orleans. Rams' management are saying pretty much the same thing at least privately.

Faulk's situation also isn' the only problem on the Rams' horizon. The contracts of Torry Holt and Grant Wistrom are also up after the season and the club is facing an expensive option on Orlando Pace. Of the four, Holt presents the most intriguing dilemma for the Rams. Holt wants to be paid like a No. 1 receiver, but that money is already going to Isaac Bruce. In addition, the Rams think they may be able to get a lot for Holt in a trade. On the other hand, the Rams know they would be foolish to trade Holt if they're serious about winning the Super Bowl this season. Then again, what do the Rams do if somebody makes them an offer they can't refuse for one of the best young receivers in the game?

Meanwhile, back to Faulk. What might he hope to get if he opts for free agency after the season? Teams like the Lions, Buccaneers, Eagles and Raiders would love to have him. But what would they pay? Remember, they will be evaluating Faulk the same way as the Rams are currently. In the end, it may well turn out that Faulk can get his best deal from the Rams. But will that be enough to keep him in St. Louis if it's below what he thinks he's worth? Some in St. Louis are under the misguided impression that Faulk would retire rather than play for another team. Faulk, however, isn't likely to walk away from millions? Said a Faulk source: "He's pretty adamant about not staying with the Rams if they don't give him what he wants. If the Rams don't meet his price, he'll walk. Remember, this is a guy who forced his way out of Indianapolis during his prime over a contract when they had Peyton Manning coming in. The Rams weren't the Rams then, and it worked out pretty good. Anybody who thinks Marshall Faulk won't walk on the Rams is kidding themselves."

BTW - How good would Torry Holt look lining up next to Chris Chambers?? :cool:

maybe the Rams will trade him back to the Colts for a 3rd and 5th ;)

I could see faulk in San Fransico, or Detroit, matbe even Denver. I don't really know where he would go. For all we know he goes elsewhere and really sucks!

Originally posted by chambers84
I could see faulk in San Fransico, or Detroit, matbe even Denver. I don't really know where he would go. For all we know he goes elsewhere and really sucks!

I thought SF and Denver were in cap trouble. Didn't Denver lose a third round pick b/c of the cap?

Originally posted by Muck

BTW - How good would Torry Holt look lining up next to Chris Chambers?? :cool:

That would be awesome!

I hope the Rams don't get broken up because they truley are a joy to watch. Other than Miami(obviously) I find the Rams games to be the most enjoyable because they bring a different brand of football to the table. Their fireworks are awe inspiring sometimes. They can take the best of defenses and routinely put up 35+ points on them. No other team, in my opinion can do that.

I'd love to see them stay together, but get beaten in the NFC Championship before we play them in the SB! hehehehe

Hey, I can dream!!! It would be a shame to break up the Rams.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
I hope the Rams don't get broken up because they truley are a joy to watch. Other than Miami(obviously) I find the Rams games to be the most enjoyable because they bring a different brand of football to the table. Their fireworks are awe inspiring sometimes. They can take the best of defenses and routinely put up 35+ points on them. No other team, in my opinion can do that.

I'd love to see them stay together, but get beaten in the NFC Championship before we play them in the SB! hehehehe

Hey, I can dream!!! It would be a shame to break up the Rams.

Could the fox pregame show do more stories on this explosive offense?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll personally enjoy seeing them fall apart.

So the Rams could lose the NFC title game and STILL play us in the Superbowl Zilla?

Damn they are good.

I have to think the NFL will do whatever it takes to keep the greatest show on turf together. No one cared that the best D(Baltimore) was torn apart due to the cap, but i bet they put new clauses in the cap so the best offesne can stay together.

Trung should get all the reps in preseason.

Faulk will go to Cincinatti like everyone else.

Can you imagine him in Tampa????not that they could fit him in under the cap.

Naahh, he'll go to the Texans where he can run around yelling yeeeee-haaaaaaaaaawwwwwww!!!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom