Biggest Dissapointment so far | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest Dissapointment so far

scotgif

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some thoughts on who/what you guys would call our biggest dissapointment of camp thus far.

Now, I know that just because a guy, or a unit has not impressed to this point, it doesn't mean that he, or it, won't ever.

Some of the top candidates for this early title would be:

Sam Simmons. This guy has shown absolutely nothing to this point. He was talked about (well, perhaps, he talked about himself, in terms of being this great all around player, that could help the team in so many areas). Well, we're still waiting!

The collective play of the OL, which has caused zero improvement in our run game, so far.

Not having a healthy Chester, and Burnett, to add to the mix on the DL.

I won't touch the QB area, because that has been played to death. Just for the record, though, I think Fiedler will be fine. Well, pretty much as he has been during his time here. I do hope, however, that he will be more consistent, and cut way back on the turnovers.

So, I would have to say Simmons has been the most dissapointing, as of now. When he was picked, a lot of people just assumed, that he would be the answer to our return game, both punt, and kickoffs, but we have not seen it .

I think Larry Chester has been the biggest disapointment, and the biggest surprises are Adewale Ogunleye and Robert Baker.

Just when you say that , this comes in:

Who's hot

• Wide receiver Robert Baker continues to look sharp. On an underthrown sideline pass against cornerback Cedric Donaldson , Baker twisted his body and fought through Donaldson's arms to make the catch. Baker topped that in the afternoon with a diving deep catch along the right side.

• Left tackle Mark Dixon did a good job on run-blocking, particularly on a combination block in which he quickly moved from defensive lineman to linebacker.

• Wide receiver Sam Simmons, who hasn't had the most consistent training camp, made a good catch along the sideline toward the end of the team drills.

• Wide receiver James McKnight broke up an errant pass by Ray Lucas.

• Linebacker Joshua Symonette intercepted a Lucas pass and returned it for a touchdown.

• Cornerback Jamar Fletcher finished the afternoon practice with an interception.

My, My, Baker is determined to make this team..I'm glad because I always thought he could be special if he remains healthy..

The team's spirit/attitude to pre-season.

I have to say, of myself, that I hate to lose. Playing soccer with the kids I want to win. Playing cards, I want to win. When I was at school on the soccer team I played to win, practised to win, played in the playground to win.

I'd like to see more of that spirit in these guys, not the carribbean attitude that seems to prevail at the moment "man, de son is shinin, take a pill and chill. Manyana we'll be cool."

There have been some bright spots. But winners, in the end, want to win at every level. Win in the individual battle. Win on the play, win on the series, win the game. Who cares if it's pre-season? Winners care. People buying tickets for pre-season games care. I care. I want a glimpse of what will be. And if that's what I am getting then ...

When you see Zach play - he's up for it. A battler. A leader. And he's talking about it doesn't matter. Wakey wakey fins or the :toliet: awaits.

I was in the camp that said he'll never be anything more than training camp fodder. I'm still not overly convinced. The bottom line is he's making a lot of plays against bad competition but I'm still not sure he could be close to consistent against starter quality players...and if he's not, then he's no more than Jeff Ogden without the return abilities that Ogden has. Which is why he's still struggling to make this team. But it definitely is impressive how much he's elevated his game to make one last push to make this team (probably his last chance).

My biggest disappointment by far has to be...well crap I dunno. Its kind of a tie I guess.

1. Rob Burnett.

2. Sam Simmons (though folly of us to place much hope on a 6th round WR anyway...)

3. Leon Searcy...guy was called by more than one magazine possibly the free agent steal of the year. Guess not.

4. Robert Edwards...could have been our most pleasant surprise...until he comes back down to earth and the reality is he's probably not gonna play well again.

5. Ray Green...showed so much promise in minicamps disappeared when hitting started.

6. Jamar Fletcher...still hasn't elevated to seal his spot as nickel CB

7. Brent Smith/Marcus Spriggs...neither made it back from surgery fast enough.

8. James McKnight...hasn't done a terrible job but the training camp dropsies only prove he does indeed have a hands problem.

9. Alonzo Mayes...this was HIS YEAR. Cuz of his weight we drafted Randy McMichael. THANK YOU ALONZO!!!!

I don't even bother listing Chester because I expected his ankle to be hurting early on like it is. But I'm just a little disappointed that he wouldn't rest it properly to get it to where it should be. Mark Dixon on the other hand rested his (same injury) and he came back to practice at LT and now says that he feels like his old self...found the "explosion" again etc. While Chester is hurting probably cuz he wouldn't go easy enough on it during previous practices. I say keep him out of action til the opener.

CK that's the quality I was talking about :-).

Ray Green is my biggest disappointment..I was definetly looking for him to solidify the secondary..with us not having Cousins and B. Walker..I think we're in the hole in the secondary..McGarretty (sp) and Trent haven't done anything to make me feel better if one of our players go down..I think Flecther will be okay...but he will look bad at times this year...So don't go crazy with posts guys..He'll get better..

Alonzo is definetly my 2nd pick, I just knew he was the real deal...I was defintely expecting to hear his name more by now..His Fat=McMichael..So maybe Alonzo didn't let me down..I just had the wrong person starting at TE.

no doubt the running game - whoever is at fault. I was hoping we could prove to run the ball effectively even ag. run oriented D schemes, but thus far we have sucked.

Bad running game = late season and playoff losses

Re: Re: Biggest Dissapointment so far

Originally posted by dolphan39
no doubt the running game - whoever is at fault. I was hoping we could prove to run the ball effectively even ag. run oriented D schemes, but thus far we have sucked.

Bad running game = late season and playoff losses

Good point D39...definetly can't argue with that..I was expecting more in that department also...I think we have the RB's to get that done..We've just about change all of them except Minor..

My biggest disappointment is the O-Line. There was supposed to be such competition at every spot this year....now we have given up on Smith and Spriggs and stuck an injury prone guy out there who is the best that we've got.

Why in the hell didnt we at least entertain Brockenmyer?

Originally posted by scotgif
Just wanted to get some thoughts on who/what you guys would call our biggest dissapointment of camp thus far.

Now, I know that just because a guy, or a unit has not impressed to this point, it doesn't mean that he, or it, won't ever.

Some of the top candidates for this early title would be:

Sam Simmons. This guy has shown absolutely nothing to this point. He was talked about (well, perhaps, he talked about himself, in terms of being this great all around player, that could help the team in so many areas). Well, we're still waiting!

The collective play of the OL, which has caused zero improvement in our run game, so far.

Not having a healthy Chester, and Burnett, to add to the mix on the DL.

I won't touch the QB area, because that has been played to death. Just for the record, though, I think Fiedler will be fine. Well, pretty much as he has been during his time here. I do hope, however, that he will be more consistent, and cut way back on the turnovers.

So, I would have to say Simmons has been the most dissapointing, as of now. When he was picked, a lot of people just assumed, that he would be the answer to our return game, both punt, and kickoffs, but we have not seen it .

I dont have many big dissapointments cus i never really had big expectations form alot of guys except maybe jamar fletcher, and i think he will be fine. i think people will pick on him to easy cus we have two of the best, but they get burned too so i am not worried. as far as any veteran, like rob burnett, leon searcy, Larry chester, jay williams ect., i chalk alot of it up to past injuries and we are just resting them. Rob Burnett though i am more worried about than anyone cus i have not seen him at all. I suppose my biggest disapointment would be Brent Smith and marcus spriggs. i hope we keep Spriggs instead of Smith. i have had it with smith, i think we need to move on with him and i think spriggs is better once he gets going. if Dixon solidifies the starting spot at LT, then spriggs will get some rest and i think he will be able to spot the position well. he just hasnt been able to get any playing time.

As far as biggest surprises i would have to go in this order
1. Randy Mcmicheal- i wanted him to be the guy, but now he is a stud!
2. Robert Baker- showed me some YAC and catches the damn ball! also showed me he knows the basics. like coming back to the ball.
3. Henry Taylor- watch him close, he is good, he came from out of nowhere. good size, attitude, and moves. he along with Jermaine Haley and Larry chester and Bowens will make a great foursome at DT.
4. Justin Severns- the guy is tough and played a whole game the other night without missing much of a beat. i think he can play a good backup role to zach and learn from him as well. hendricks should move to outside behind greenwood.
5. Ray Lucas- showed what we have been looking for. makes mistakes but what backup qb doesnt?
6. joshua symonette- normally i would nt have listed him, but i have noticed the kid was doing well the other night and he broke up a nice p[ass to teh TE against Tampa over the middle. thats spoke volumes to me, i think the guy could be better than twan russell for sure cus he is a former DB who can cover.

Earlier this month I posted a message about "Make me feel better about our OLine".....

Well, my depression is still here. While this is still preseason, I'd expect to see SOMETHING from these guys. But not one glimmer of hope for me it seems from our OLine.

Maybe I've just got my head up my butt. Last year our preseason sucked too....but so did our running game. I just want to see some holes open up for our running game.

So my biggest disappointment is STILL our offensive line.

Well, for all of you saying the O-line is the biggest disappointment, at least wait until you see the starters play together one time before you drink the kool-aid.;)

Originally posted by inFINSible
Well, for all of you saying the O-line is the biggest disappointment, at least wait until you see the starters play together one time before you drink the kool-aid.;)

u see, everyone wants the Oline to be superstar overnight. it will never work that way! the Oline wont get it together for a few more weeks people. i hate to break this to everyone. but injuries killed us last year, not anyone person really. we are doing what we need to do now. i dont think these recent moves are surprising anyone are they? i can understand being somewhat dissapointed, but penalties and special teams are really more in a bind than Oline. im sorry, the Oline is going through some changes and patience will be needed here, but they dont give up many sacks that is for sure.

Originally posted by inFINSible
at least wait until you see the starters play together one time before you drink the kool-aid.;)

Oh sure, take all the fun out of it for me. I'm going with the orange! :drinker:

Back
Top Bottom