Biggest Free Agent/Trade Bust? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest Free Agent/Trade Bust?

Gotta be Culpepper. I think most had high expectations for him, although I was never a fan of his. But he was in the MVP conversation during his prime. It's sad we gave up same compensation for freaking AJ touchy Feeley. I again, didn't have high expectations for him either.

I guess my biggest bust would be Brandon Marshall, he was OK, but I remember him dropping a lot of passes. And I had BIG expectations from him. He had his worst years in Miami.

Karlos Dansby, got paid for all the turnovers he created with Arizona to doing none of that with Miami. He wasn't' awful but didn't' produce to the level of his contract. He went from 20 takeaways and 2 tds with Arizona to one measly takeaway with Miami and then went back to Arizona for another 5 takeaways with Arizona in stint 2.

Suh's contract was the other bad one.

And he played well, just not well enough to ever fulfill that insane contract.
Just to show how bad the contract was, look how long it took for another defensive player to match it.

Miami had the right idea about finding a player who could be disruptive in the middle of the defensive, but grossly overpaid.

Culpepper and not even close, simply because of the dollars and position......and that the other option turned into a super bowl winning hall of fame, record holding QB

I would say anybody from the Steelers lol Wallace and Porter come to mind

Culpepper is definitely up there. Big miss on Brees to get him to

Don't follow.

We drafted him in the 5th round. Home grown talent.
Until his contract was due and we made him the highest paid safety in the NFL.

Sometimes, the worst thing you can do is resign your own players when their cost has gone up too much.

Another player that we did this with was Tim Bowens. Tim had been a GREAT player, but by the time he came up for free agency, he'd injured his back and honestly, was not the same player, but we dropped a huge contract on him anyway, and we never got much in return.

It's my position here that some of your WORST contracts, some of your worst signings are from in-house. Letting an overpriced or injured player walk is usually the right call.

Gotta be Culpepper. I think most had high expectations for him, although I was never a fan of his. But he was in the MVP conversation during his prime. It's sad we gave up same compensation for freaking AJ touchy Feeley. I again, didn't have high expectations for him either.

I guess my biggest bust would be Brandon Marshall, he was OK, but I remember him dropping a lot of passes. And I had BIG expectations from him. He had his worst years in Miami.
Yeah. That was heartbreaking. Culpepper was going to be our franchise QB. He just looked bad. He looked like a bad Qb.

I wouldn’t say Marshal played his worse in Miami. It’s hard to blame the players when we had the wrong players on the team as a whole.

Jay Cutler was brought in as a one year stop gap in a failed year. Tannehill had gotten injured and it was basically accepted at that point the year was wasted. He didn't do anything bad by any means (well relatively speaking), but that was also the beginning of the end of the locker room cohesion and he sure didn't put out any fires.

I think Phillip Wheeler gets forgotten because he was one of about 30,000 moves that offseason that completely backfired. Dion Jordan, Dannell Ellerbe, Mike Wallace, Tyson Clabo, and how easily we forget Dustin Keller.

Brandon Marshall is an interesting one because he cost us two 2nd rounders. I believe we got two 3rd rounders from Chicago, but still. Everything about that experiment was failed and he torched every bridge on the way out. I remember after acquiring him I thought we were set up pretty good, and basically the next day we ship out Ted Ginn Jr for pennies. Never understood that subsequent move but that was Jeff Ireland for ya. Fill a hole create a hole. Offense had no speed that year and defenses just sat down on everything including the run game. Trusting Brian Hartline to be a number 2 receiver was a bad move and we repeated it for like 5 straight years. I think we tried to fill the speed gap next year with Clyde Gates, maybe he caught 4 passes in his career.

The problem with saying Brandon Marshall is how different would that acquisition have gone if we had managed to sign Peyton Manning in 2012? I think the Brandon Marshall era goes very differently with Manning at QB. That would be why I'm hesitant to say it was the worst signing since Henne was the real reason those two years were disasters.

Worst signing has to be Mike Wallace. Brandon Marshall was at least a good football player before and after the Dolphins. Mike Wallace was a locker room cancer who demanded the ball be fed to him. He turned 141 targets into less than 1,000 yards his first year. Set this team back.

It's notable how many of these awful moves were made by Ireland. Man he wasted those Wake, Starks and crew defenses.
I had already forgotten about Dustin Keller, LOL, guess that just further makes your point! :D

Back
Top Bottom