Biggest Free Agent/Trade Bust? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest Free Agent/Trade Bust?

Im in agreeance with many in this thread. Culpepper is the worst imo as it was two-fold. We signed Culpepper and Passed on a Super Bowl winning QB in Brees. Imagine our last 13 years if we had gone with Brees? Ya. Thats a lot of painful memories erased.
This one just easily wins. We've been searching for a franchise QB since Marino and had Brees in the palm of our hands.

There's so many terrible moves listed in this thread, but none can compare to choosing Culpepper over a guy that was a top 3 QB for a decade.

That doesn't come along often, and who the hell knows when we'll ever see it again if Tua ain't it.

But did you have high expectations for him?
Again, the point of this thread is not who was the worst acquisition but who YOU had the highest hopes for that failed miserably. The person that you thought would really elevate the team but did not. It's kinda "Boy was I wrong" thread.

Based on your expectations alone, not cost, who was the greatest bust of all free agents and trade acquisitions? Who did YOU expect the most of and they totally failed?
Ricky Williams, because it wrecked our team. We gave up two first round draft choices (2002, 2003) to acquire Williams, and then foolishly spent a third rounder (2004, Lamar Gordon) and a first rounder (2005, Ronnie Brown) to replace him. No NFL team spends 3 first round picks and a third round pick on running backs in four years, and it helped to accelerate our slide under Wannstedt and had a lasting impact for Saban and Sparano.

Well to be fair, he didn’t make it out of pre season if I recall

Good ol dirty DJ Swearinger ended his career
Keller was the one player who could have changed RT's perception in the fanbase. They were starting to become magical and dominant in the preseason.... then, yea.

To me, Keller was the one player at the one position that could have forever changed RT. We never had great TEs paired with RT. But wow, when DK joined the team we saw a-whole-nother part of RTs game.

And what happened when we got a glimpse of it? Never went back to it.

DK's injury really impacted my hopes for RT probably moreso than any other person he played with. I saw his true potential during that short time. Without an OL and RB, TE was the one weapon that could have equalized all other deficiencies on his teams. Not WRs.... TE.

"We thought Drew would be an upgrade over Jay," Spielman said. "But we don't think he is that much better. We feel good about Jay. Plus we think we really upgraded our secondary with Jamar. He can play press. He can help on special teams. He's going to play sooner. He's going to help us more."

after draft where we selected Jamar Fletcher 26 and Brees went 32. We did Draft Heupel in the 6th.......

It got worse when we traded for Feeley for a 2nd rounder, because Fiedler was not working and Fletcher started all of 6 games

Then the true worst move came when trading another 2 for the huge bust Culpepper and not signing Brees.

Culpepper by a MILE, and it’s Not even close!
Reason? Not only was he BAD, especially for the price...but we bypassed a future HOF QB in Brees...which also resulted in Saban leaving.
I predict that if we had signed Brees, Saban possibly NEVER leaves the Fins and we win a couple SB’s in the process.

Again, the point of this thread is not who was the worst acquisition but who YOU had the highest hopes for that failed miserably. The person that you thought would really elevate the team but did not. It's kinda "Boy was I wrong" thread.

I'm aware, and that's why I was asking if he had high Expectations/hope for AJ Feeley, because I did not which made the trade even worse.

But did you have high expectations for him?
Yes I did. I actually met Feeley at the Superbowl that year and chatted with him and his lady friend for a bit. He was excited to be the starter and we needed someone to step in for Fiedler. Bust.

how about a third for rb lamar gordon

that's when you knew the franchise was officially in the bottom tier

Im in agreeance with many in this thread. Culpepper is the worst imo as it was two-fold. We signed Culpepper and Passed on a Super Bowl winning QB in Brees. Imagine our last 13 years if we had gone with Brees? Ya. Thats a lot of painful memories erased.
Great point. Kind of a double whammy there, where making the choice of Culpepper meant missing on a Hall of Famer. Of course, it's hard to say how Brees would have fared in Miami.

At the very least, I think he would have been a lot better than Culpepper, though.

Culpepper and not even close, simply because of the dollars and position......and that the other option turned into a super bowl winning hall of fame, record holding QB
I remember seeing his first drop back and he was still limping like he just had surgery. My only thought was oh **** this is gonna be a train wreck! Oh boy..

I'll always be confused why Bobby Humphrey only lasted one year after coming here for Sammy Smith. He didn't put up a thousand yards like he did in Denver, but he was a great third down back. He had over 500 yds receiving and almost 500 rushing. Played one year here and was out of the league. Off the field issues, perhaps? I always liked him, disappointed how it ended for him.

Back
Top Bottom