Bill Arnsparger | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Arnsparger

zodiak

Starter
Reaction score
Dolfans

Been thinking back to the Shula days recently and Bill Arnsparger in particular.
I've read a bit about him but am curious if anyone has
A-suggested reading material on Arnsparger?
B-Any coaching videos with him
C-any one can give some anecdotes on his style of defense

Guess what I know is he used AJ Duhe in many ways(LB,DE,DT) he left Shula to become HC at LSU then in the 90's went to SD helped them reach a Super Bowl.

Thanks for your input guys

Bill Arnsparger was famous for taking good but not great talent and creating great defenses. His secret was in schemes that really did the work for him. He looked for people who could do their assignments, and if they did that the defense succeeded withiut the need for an exceptional playmaker. When he had exceptional players, his defenses were dominant, but lots of coaches can coach great players. Arnsparger could stop the run and contain the pass even withaverage players, and IMHO, thats what elevated him to greatness.

As for anecdotes, I may be mistaken, but I believe he was the first innovator of the 3-4 defense. He called it the 53 because that was Bob Matheson's number, and when Matheson went into the game that was the defensive scheme they played.

Bill Arnsparger was famous for taking good but not great talent and creating great defenses. His secret was in schemes that really did the work for him. He looked for people who could do their assignments, and if they did that the defense succeeded withiut the need for an exceptional playmaker. When he had exceptional players, his defenses were dominant, but lots of coaches can coach great players. Arnsparger could stop the run and contain the pass even withaverage players, and IMHO, thats what elevated him to greatness.

As for anecdotes, I may be mistaken, but I believe he was the first innovator of the 3-4 defense. He called it the 53 because that was Bob Matheson's number, and when Matheson went into the game that was the defensive scheme they played.
I recall hearing the very same story about the 34 and Matheson... If only I was alive at the time to enjoy such innovative minds with the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom