Bill Belichick doesn’t see the point in extra points | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Belichick doesn’t see the point in extra points

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Patriots coach Bill Belichick recently caused a stir when he said the NFL wants to eliminate kickoffs. Now Belichick has weighed in on a play that he says would be better suited to elimination: The extra point.

In an interview on WEEI, Belichick pointed out that the point after touchdown is so easy that it rarely creates any interest at all, and he said that if the league isn’t going to make it harder, then the league should just get rid of it.

Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn’t be in the game,” Belichick said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. “I don’t think it is good for the game. Extra points, when you’re up to the 99 percent range in extra points it’s not a play. Let’s move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Make them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you’re just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20.”

Belichick’s way of thinking makes a lot of sense: The extra point is basically nothing more than a way to give fans a longer bathroom break after a touchdown. And on the rare occasions that an extra point is missed, it’s more about bad luck than skill. Belichick’s solution of moving the line of scrimmage on extra point attempts back to the 20-yard line makes some sense; that would equate to a 38-yard field goal, which isn’t a chip shot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...doesnt-see-the-point-in-extra-points/related/

but would that eliminate the 2 pt conversion? or just diofferent LOS for what you elect to go for... would make a fake really hard.

But teams still miss extra points, i dont care if its 99%, that means 1% of the time its blocked or botched.

The fact that there is any risk at all make it a "real" play.

If you're going to change the extra point, just get rid of it altogether. Force each team to go for 2 after a score.

If you're going to change the extra point, just get rid of it altogether. Force each team to go for 2 after a score.
I am an old school guy at heart and hate any change to the way the NFL game is played but I have been a fan of this for some time. Force everyone to go after 2 would drastically change the dynamic of the NFL.

Saying that, this would be a horrible change for the Fins, we suck in Goal Line situations but it is what it is.

I agree, they are chip shots...Kind of a waste of our time...All tho when teams do miss them its huge.

I am an old school guy at heart and hate any change to the way the NFL game is played but I have been a fan of this for some time. Force everyone to go after 2 would drastically change the dynamic of the NFL.

Saying that, this would be a horrible change for the Fins, we suck in Goal Line situations but it is what it is.

It would certainly add a lot of excitement. The excitement taken away from kick returns.

Got to agree with Belicheck on this one. Perhaps they can move back the 2 point try too by 5 yards.

I don't care if they are chip shots, it still leads to the strategic decisions later in close games on whether to take the easy point or do a more risky 2 point conversion. Having strategic decisions and variations in scoring is part of the reason why I enjoy football so much. While the unpredictability of 2 pt. conversions would be nice, it would truly shift the game dramatically because it would place such a big emphasis on such minor plays. For example, opposing teams could score two TD's each yet the second team could be down by 4 points (more than a FG) over the outcome of a couple simple plays.

It would make it less easy to "cheat" the computer at Madden however.

I don't know if you guys have ever seen the lingerie football league that plays on fri night on mtv or mtv2, can't remember which. I only saw part of it once. They have an awesome rule on that. For the actual extra point you have to run a real play. If you go for one point you are closer to the goalline. If you go for 2 points you are further from the goal line. I would love that rule.

Thinking about it though, Field Goal kickers are salivating over this idea since they would be getting paid more.

I don't know if you guys have ever seen the lingerie football league that plays on fri night on mtv or mtv2, can't remember which. I only saw part of it once. They have an awesome rule on that. For the actual extra point you have to run a real play. If you go for one point you are closer to the goalline. If you go for 2 points you are further from the goal line. I would love that rule.

That's like the intramural flag football rule we used to have. The extra points were 1-3 points, with the distances obviously being further the more points there were.

It's kind of fun to have in a bush league (umm, no pun intended considering we were originally talking about lingerie leagues) but it would change the NFL game too much.

BB is spot on on this one. Put the extra point try to a position that yields like 94%ish.

Also agree with his view on the KO, just put the ball on the 20. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out though, I think if we get touchbacks >95% of the time they'll make changes again next offseason.

Back
Top Bottom