Bill Belichick's thoughts on the Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Belichick's thoughts on the Draft

CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Patriots coach Bill Belichick was a guest on the “Big Show†on sports radio 850 WEEI on Friday afternoon, with host Glenn Ordway and co-hosts Fred Smerlas and Steve DeOssie.

A small portion of the Q&A:

You’ve been known to move around in drafts. You have a big gap from your first-round pick at 28 to your third-round pick at 91. Would you like to add a pick in between there?
“It’s definitely a possibility. That’s a big hole in your draft there, it’s a full two rounds really. The flip side is that we do have two number one picks, so that 28 is really replacing a 64, or whatever that number would be there in the second round. That would be something we would certainly entertain, [trading] into next year would be an option. You talk to teams on a preliminary basis on these few days before the draft, just to kind of get a feel for what they’re looking for, what they’re trying to do. We do the same thing -- who’s looking to move up, who’s looking to move back? And the common theme in this particular draft is that everybody is looking to move back. The concept of moving back is good. Whether you have anyone to move up with, finding a dance partner, that’s a whole different story. Obviously, the question there is who are you moving up for? If you’re moving up for someone you don’t have that big of a commitment to, or you think might get to you anyway, there is no big rush to do it. It seems like a lot of teams want to move back and pick up our two first-round picks and maybe give us a second. Or something else, there is quite a bit of an interest in a two-for-one program. There also seems to be quite a bit of interest in other teams moving back into the teens out of those top 10 picks, not that it really affects us. It’s just what you hear, but like I said, you need someone to go up if you want to move back.â€Â

People mention the draft value chart a lot. Is that useless in this situation?
“Yeah, it’s funny, we talked about that today. I think to a degree it is useless because if you want to move back, even though you’re not getting full value or what you think is full value for that move, it still may be in your best interests to move back and do it even though the chart says otherwise. I think in a draft like this you might have to throw that chart out a little bit and decide that if you want to back up a bit -- and find someone that will do it -- you might be taking a little bit less than what you think that value is. If that’s your objective, you just have to go with it. I can definitely see that happening in this draft.â€Â

Do you pull an all-nighter tonight?
"No. Tonight, the hay is in the barn, like a Friday night before a game. Get a good night sleep. Be fresh. Try to make good decisions tomorrow. Unless something were to come up, some big transaction, something that would come across that would be something you have to act on right way, this is a night to wrap it up early and get a good night's rest. Tomorrow is a long day."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...28/moving_argument_for_patriots_to_trade_down

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of his father scouting book please let me know I think it would be an education. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom