-------- Bill Parcells: Why is he called "The Tuna" ??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

-------- Bill Parcells: Why is he called "The Tuna" ???

I think it was originally the "Big Tuna," which is another word for the big boss....i.e., the Coach. I met Parcells around 1978, '79? he coached the Air Force football team for one year, then tried selling real estate and then went back to coaching.

Because wherever he goes he flops like a dead fish :lol:

Just kidding, he has been great everywhere he went, with the exception of Dallas where I think he failed miserably.

Because wherever he goes he flops like a dead fish :lol:

Just kidding, he has been great everywhere he went, with the exception of Dallas where I think he failed miserably.

i thought he did okay with the cowboys but not as great as he has been

Why is Bill Parcells called "The Tuna"?

Where did the nickname originate from?

I've always wondered about that....

Coach Parcells discusses how he got the nickname ''Tuna'' at a 1997 press conference.]

I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started.
I am pretty sure that what is written above is correct.

Back
Top Bottom