Bill Polian High on Earl Mitchell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Polian High on Earl Mitchell

SCall13

Finheaven QB
Reaction score
I know that we generally do not put a lot of stock in the so called experts - generally speaking. But this little snippet was pretty encouraging. Sorry if this has been posted. I've had a long day, have been drinking, and didn't feel like searching through the threads.

The Miami Dolphins made an under-the-radar acquisition this week when they signed free-agent Earl Mitchell to a four-year, $16 million contract. The former Houston Texans defensive tackle is not a household name to many NFL fans. But it was evident the Dolphins had Mitchell high on their wish list.

Another person who is high on Mitchell is former Indianapolis Colts general manager and ESPN NFL analyst Bill Polian. Mitchell was one of just six free agents who received an "A" grade from the veteran talent evaluator.

Here was Polian’s take on Mitchell:

"Mitchell has become a real inside force and one of the most productive penetrators in the NFL at generating consistent inside pressure. He is a much better athlete than most guys who play his position, and his effort is outstanding. He is a one-gap penetrator with good quickness and really works to finish the play. He is young and will only get better."

Mitchell explained Wednesday that he is happy to come to Miami and play in a 4-3 defense. He was a 3-4 nose tackle with the Texans, where he didn’t get an opportunity to rush the passer. Mitchell had just 1.5 sacks in 2013.

Mitchell believes he is capable of putting up bigger numbers in 2014. He will get more opportunities to be disruptive, collapse the pocket and get to the quarterback in Miami’s system under defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle.

I like what he potentially brings and I think middle pressure is going to be big this year, I just hope he still has an impact in the run game (hopefully the LBs get sorted out and this will be less of a worry...

off topic....the title made me think that Polian was sparking up a new strand of weed....

I like what he potentially brings and I think middle pressure is going to be big this year, I just hope he still has an impact in the run game (hopefully the LBs get sorted out and this will be less of a worry...

off topic....the title made me think that Polian was sparking up a new strand of weed....
I think we need free agents and draft picks to push our existing linebackers to play better then some of them have.

I am really intrigued and excited about the Mitchell signing. Even more excited that they were also able to re-sign Starks in the process. I have a funny feeling that Mitchell is going to become our Starks 2.0 signing. When we got Starks in 2008, he was mostly coming with potential, but really took off in Miami. Hoping we were able to do it again.

I am really intrigued and excited about the Mitchell signing. Even more excited that they were also able to re-sign Starks in the process. I have a funny feeling that Mitchell is going to become our Starks 2.0 signing. When we got Starks in 2008, he was mostly coming with potential, but really took off in Miami. Hoping we were able to do it again.

Kacy Rodgers gets the most out of his players...

Mitchells raw athleticism and the explosion off the ball should be plenty to work with...

4.75 40 for a guy who is 300 lbs...he could be a pain in the ass for Centers and Guards and in AFC East

Back
Top Bottom