Bills Tanking. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills Tanking.

I think this is a good move in the long run for the Bills.

Obviously, they have to hit on the picks for it to pan out, but it's a good move for 2019 and beyond.

Worse yet, they stand a very good chance of getting another 3rd round pick as compensation for Stephen Gilmore. And Sean McDermott has an eye for talent and how said talent specifically fits into his plans.

Those celebrating this move are mistaken. This is a home run for the Bills and bad news for the Dolphins. If i had to choose between giving McDermott a 2nd and 3rd round pick plus some good (but not great) players or forcing them to back up a brinks truck to keep an injury prone player than i'd choose the latter every single time. This could be the move that lands them a franchise quarterback. Which would obviously make for a really bad time for us.

I usually agree with you, but you don't trade away a talented 23 year old corner and a talented 24 year old wide receiver for average players and picks. The only thing i can think is a lack of confidence with regards to their health. They're trading a dollar for 4 quarters at best. Now the pressure is on to at least get solid NFL starters with those picks and they won't know that for 2-3 seasons AFTER they draft them. It reminds me of the Jeff Ireland tactic of trade the assets you do have for picks and ask for patience as you collect a paycheck and "rebuild" for 11 seasons. It didn't work for us and the Saints are in year three of a "rebuild" since Mr. Ireland got to town.

I usually agree with you, but you don't trade away a talented 23 year old corner and a talented 24 year old wide receiver for average players and picks. The only thing i can think is a lack of confidence with regards to their health. They're trading a dollar for 4 quarters at best. Now the pressure is on to at least get solid NFL starters with those picks and they won't know that for 2-3 seasons AFTER they draft them. It reminds me of the Jeff Ireland tactic of trade the assets you do have for picks and ask for patience as you collect a paycheck and "rebuild" for 11 seasons. It didn't work for us and the Saints are in year three of a "rebuild" since Mr. Ireland got to town.

The health concerns can't be overstated. They had already announced they refused to pick up the 5th year option because of Watkins foot. I'd find this trade to be a lot more disagreeable had Watkins stayed healthy and was making an Odell Beckham Jr type of impact.

But more to your central point, the difference between the Bills and Jeff Ireland is Jeff would trade his own drafted players after a year or two, the Bills traded the previous regimes players that didn't align with their future. While i vehemently argue talent over scheme fit, the fact of the matter is they've already made solid progress shoring up that unit with Tre'Davious White. McDermott has shown he can get results with his scheme. I was nervous when Adam Gase came in and started tweaking things but i remained patient because he had a proven track record of success.

The Bills have a good roster. But as another poster pointed out: good rosters don't win Superbowls. So what's the point? With contracts expiring and LeSean McCoy's career winding down they were on the clock to either start getting results or making tough decisions. The results weren't going to come given their wild-card-at-best roster, so it was decision making time. As it was they were able to recoup tremendous value. The previous regime made a mistake giving up 2 first round picks for Watkins in a deep receiver class, but holding onto him at this point would have been doubling down on a mistake. Watkins, at this stage of his career, isn't irreplaceable. And getting a solid number 2 receiver plus a high pick is a damn good start.

Yes, this will rely on hitting on draft picks and that won't be known for a couple of years. But these guys were hired to hit on draft picks. And they showed they can do a fairly decent job with this last draft. Handcuffing them out of concern they might fail just guarantees failure.

Ultimately though, this comes down to what it always comes down to: every team needs a franchise quarterback and they don't have one. We Dolphins fans know this dance better than most. You just can't **** around with that position. Either you have a quarterback capable of bringing home the trophy or you don't. Tyrod Taylor is a good enough player but he is no franchise quarterback. A team has to do whatever it takes to get one. Looking at what it cost the Rams and Redskins to try and grab one and the Bills moves are a no brainer.

Yes, this will rely on hitting on draft picks and that won't be known for a couple of years. But these guys were hired to hit on draft picks. And they showed they can do a fairly decent job with this last draft. Handcuffing them out of concern they might fail just guarantees failure.

How so?

Even though I don't believe him, the owner said Whaley was in charge of the draft. Even if we assume that it was all McDermott, wouldn't he have had to rely on info from the GM and scouts that are no longer with the team? Most of the guys there now were hired after the draft.

Because of Watkins injury history, I think it is a good possibility that the Bills made the right decision. If Watkins struggles with his health over the next few years, it won't really matter what the Bills do with the 2nd round pick they got for him. It would have been the right move not to keep him. However, if he stays healthy and plays to his potential, the Bills will have a tough time coming out on top of this trade.

Alot of people saying the Bills medical staff was very important in this move. They dont think Watkins health is going to hold. Also he wasnt re-signing.

Now Darby fell off last year and was struggling eary this season with the new zone heavy scheme. He is a man press CB like Gilmore was.

So this was about getting expiring contracts and assets for future. Now they are set up to go get a QB if TT continues to be a better runner than passer.

Alot of people saying the Bills medical staff was very important in this move. They dont think Watkins health is going to hold. Also he wasnt re-signing.

Now Darby fell off last year and was struggling eary this season with the new zone heavy scheme. He is a man press CB like Gilmore was.

So this was about getting expiring contracts and assets for future. Now they are set up to go get a QB if TT continues to be a better runner than passer.
Well your medical staff missed an injury to Matthews sternum which will put him out for a bit. That said, Watkins has put up 520 yards and 3 TDs in 5 games against Miami so we're glad to see him gone. To me these trades are about moving into the top 2 picks of the 2018 draft to get that elusive franchise QB. Having 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds (plus an additional 3rd for Gilmore most likely) should give them plenty of ammo for that. Not sure I would settle for less than the second pick because Josh Rosen is not in the same category as Allen or Darnold.

bills will be hiring new coach in 3 yr. bills got players. the coach they hire is problems.

Back
Top Bottom