Blanket | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Blanket

Bottom line though is Landry is not a complete receiver and Tyrod, Mayfield, or any other QB are not going to make him anything we have not already seen. He may put up similar numbers with Tyrod as he does not throw deep a lot and does not take a lot of chances....so I wonder if he will be his security blanket, which I would find funny as hell for the 1 trick overpaid pony who needs to keep his mouth shut and just play football!

I think he will probably do worse with Tyrod Taylor, who isn't a particularly good short or intermediate passer, but excels at deep vertical passes and on the scramble drill. I think Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman are going to be the guys who see the most action with Taylor at quarterback. That's why I find it particularly interesting that Landry is talking up Taylor so much given the brewing quarterback controversy in Cleveland. He should be all in on Mayfield's corner.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Landry can do more than just catch short crossers and screens, and I think he will be productive in Cleveland, but Josh Gordon is EASILY the best receiver on that team, and also the best fit for Tyrod Taylor. Corey Coleman is also an underrated young player, and if he stays healthy I think Jarvis is going to be pretty steamed about how little he is targeted.

I think he will probably do worse with Tyrod Taylor, who isn't a particularly good short or intermediate passer, but excels at deep vertical passes and on the scramble drill. I think Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman are going to be the guys who see the most action with Taylor at quarterback. That's why I find it particularly interesting that Landry is talking up Taylor so much given the brewing quarterback controversy in Cleveland. He should be all in on Mayfield's corner.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Landry can do more than just catch short crossers and screens, and I think he will be productive in Cleveland, but Josh Gordon is EASILY the best receiver on that team, and also the best fit for Tyrod Taylor. Corey Coleman is also an underrated young player, and if he stays healthy I think Jarvis is going to be pretty steamed about how little he is targeted.

Tyrod's yards per pass is much lower than Tannehill's......Tyrod is a safe passer as he was labeled as being too safe in Buffalo. Tannehill also completes passes at a higher %. Tyrod does use his legs to make a few plays here and there but he is much more of a game manager than even Tannehill is and will take the safe short throw every time it is there.

Guys, it’s time to move on from Landry. He was a good possession receiver when he was with Miami but his time came and gone. Over the next few years he will probably come to realize he isn’t as good as his buddy obj and really is only meant for under routes. We as a fan base will come to realize that role can be done just as well by a lot of other players not commanding $14mil+ a year.

He’s being salty now because his ego was hurt and that shouldn’t be affecting us as a fan base one bit. I suggest we move on and focus more on the guys who will help the fins win this year.

I don't get the narrative that Taylor can't throw the deep ball.

If you compare him and Tannehill over the last 3 years played they are very similar. Taylor has completed more balls thrown over 20 yards in the air, more TD's thrown over 20 yards in the air and has a better completion ratio on passes thrown more than 20 yards in the air. Tannehill has a slightly better interception ratio on deep balls. Both very close.

Taylor 2015-2017

58 of 171 (33.9%) for 18 TD's and 7 Ints

Tannehill 2014-2016

46-146 (31.5%) for 14 TD's and 7 Ints

If you compare him and Tannehill over the last 3 years played they are very similar. Taylor has completed more balls thrown over 20 yards in the air, more TD's thrown over 20 yards in the air and has a better completion ratio on passes thrown more than 20 yards in the air. Tannehill has a slightly better interception ratio on deep balls. Both very close.

Taylor 2015-2017

Tannehill 2014-2016

Only one of the two (Taylor) had the proper amount of time to make those deep throws. Only one of the two (Taylor) had a rushing offense that was the primary focus of the defense. Only one of the two (Tannehill) had idiots calling plays for two of the years that seemed to hate play action passing and throwing on the run.

The fact that Tannehill had similar success under far more difficult circumstances speaks volumes.

The dramatic rise in his numbers on passes over 20 yards in the air in 2016 was no accident.

More info - http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...best-deep-ball-thrower-via-deep-ball-project/

Taylor makes time with his legs. The 2 are very similar even if you will never admit it. The sample size for Tannehill in 2016 was small. 16 completions. I'm not sure how 16 completions in 2016 compared to 21 in 2015 is a dramatic improvement. The results were better with more TD's but the overall completion percentage is very similar. Ryan actually threw 4 Interception on deep passes in 2016 which is a drastic change for the worse to go along with improvements in TD's

Only one of the two (Taylor) had the proper amount of time to make those deep throws. Only one of the two (Taylor) had a rushing offense that was the primary focus of the defense. Only one of the two (Tannehill) had idiots calling plays for two of the years that seemed to hate play action passing and throwing on the run.

The fact that Tannehill had similar success under far more difficult circumstances speaks volumes.

The dramatic rise in his numbers on passes over 20 yards in the air in 2016 was no accident.

More info - http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...best-deep-ball-thrower-via-deep-ball-project/

Here is a comparison from 2016 with Tannehill and Taylor: https://brickwallblitz.com/2017/03/26/the-2016-17-deep-ball-project-part-33/

Taylor 2015-2017

Tannehill 2014-2016

Tyrod throws a good deep ball, the problem is that's the only throw he makes well. He is afraid to take chances and throw picks, and he has the second most rushing attempts in the NFL as a QB since 2015 (happy feet). He always puts up a good TD - INT ratio, which is his bread and butter. The problem is against good and disciplined defenses he is basically worthless because being ultra conservative can only take you so far.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bi...aguars-should-end-tyrod-taylor-era-in-buffalo

Sorry I don't subscribe to the deep passer accuracy takes. The ball is either completed or it isn't. The defense isn't going to adjust and give you a different look until you burn them for the long TD. Hitting the guy in the hands does nothing to help your offense unless it is completed for the long gain. And the accuracy is all subjective. It's one persons point of view. The final split stats tell the real story to me.

The argument that Taylor is a poor deep passer is completely insane, specifically because the only reason Tyrod Taylor has held a starting job / is currently holding a starting job is that he is a very good deep vertical thrower. He's a fine starter for any team that is run-heavy with lots of vertical PA looks.

Whatever his role was, it was far too big and should never be replaced.

A slot wr should never be 'the guy' if Parker cant step up, find someone with a similar skillset to replace him.

Agreed

We handled Wes Welker the same way so at least the dolphins are consistent with their value of a slot receiver.

We didn't miss Mike Wallace and and he was a wideout we wont miss a slot receiver. Especially with Grant ,the addition of Danny Amendola and Rookie Mike Gisicki.

I dont love that Landry left the team but I wont miss him for the Browns type of money.

I agree it’s highly likely we will hear grumbling from Jarvis this season...

Sorry I don't subscribe to the deep passer accuracy takes. The ball is either completed or it isn't. The defense isn't going to adjust and give you a different look until you burn them for the long TD. Hitting the guy in the hands does nothing to help your offense unless it is completed for the long gain. And the accuracy is all subjective. It's one persons point of view. The final split stats tell the real story to me.

LOL. Nonsense. The stats are for the performance of the QB. He cannot help it if a WR drops a deep pass (see Kenny Stills, week 1 2016 vs Seattle). And, you have no idea if a defense adjusts after a play like that. Your opinion is no, mine is hell yes. And it is irrelevant as to whether the QB is an accurate deep ball thrower.

We didn't have a TE that could be that "blanket".....we also didn't start Drake till later on the year so Landry was the short passing game for us. I hope we never again target a guy 160 if that guy will get less than 9 ypc. If a guy will get you 15 ypc then by all means do it. For a guy that said he wanted to be here he sure sounds like he's happy to be gone or maybe he's just bitter? Either way he's gone and we need to move on.

Back
Top Bottom