Bleacher Report: Miami Ranked 32nd On Offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bleacher Report: Miami Ranked 32nd On Offense

I think the only ones overating the WR position, are hardcore homer fans.

I, for one, realize that there are issues here. We don't have an effective "big" #1, unless Parker makes some miraculous turn around. The other three guys are all very small, amd with the exception of Stills, coming off injuries that could affect thier speed, the one asset that set them apart.

That’s what I’ve been concerned about

Our two fast guys both suffered absolutely brutal lower body injuries

I don’t think they’ll be the exact same ever again

Sort of a "no ****" eval

Trash o-line

Trash WRs

Bloody ****ing awful TEs

An overrated RB room.

And a 2nd year QB

To get anything going they are going to have the scheme everything.

Albert Wilson’s game is an awful lot about his hips. Not so much opening db ones but with the cod and fast start acceleration.

If that’s never the same he’s gonna be a shadow of his former self.

And Miami will be getting out of that contract as soon as possible.

Did seem to be good news that he avoided surgery. So we got that reason for optimism.

I think the only ones overating the WR position, are hardcore homer fans.

I, for one, realize that there are issues here. We don't have an effective "big" #1, unless Parker makes some miraculous turn around. The other three guys are all very small, amd with the exception of Stills, coming off injuries that could affect thier speed, the one asset that set them apart.

It’s another year where the tight end position or dvp have to offset. And we know how that went in 2018.

Nowhere. They added some tight ends but none of them change our fortunes. Walfords unlikely to make the team unless the free agent signing Dwayne Allen looks washed up. Neither move the needle.

It’s another year where the tight end position or dvp have to offset. And we know how that went in 2018.

Nowhere. They added some tight ends but none of them change our fortunes
As another poster said, scheme is going to be key in getting guys open, and even that will be dependent on the line holding up for more than 3 seconds.

I'm sure we will try to establish a viable running attack, and teams will respond by packing the box, daring Rosen to beat them.

If our coaches are up to the challenge, maybe, just maybe we can have at least a competitive, if not good offense.

As another poster said, scheme is going to be key in getting guys open, and even that will be dependent on the line holding up for more than 3 seconds.

I'm sure we will try to establish a viable running attack, and teams will respond by packing the box, daring Rosen to beat them.

If our coaches are up to the challenge, maybe, just maybe we can have at least a competitive, if not good offense.

JMHO, but I think this is where most QBs fail. Read the D pre-snap. Audible if necessary. Make quick decisions post-snap. If Rosen (or any QB) can do that, stack the box all day.

JMHO, but I think this is where most QBs fail. Read the D pre-snap. Audible if necessary. Make quick decisions post-snap. If Rosen (or any QB) can do that, stack the box all day.
Pre snap, yes, but post snap, as well.

Of course, elite defenses, with the right DB personell, can mitigate the effectiveness of that strategy by contesting WRs at the los.

We don't have the physical recievers to counter that.

Fortunately, the secondaries that can afford that risk are few.

IMO the OL is the key. I think we have a workable group @WR and the TE group
could surprise (contingent on Gesicki development, which is definitely a question).

As far as OL -- I think we're all assuming Deiter takes LG although the kid can potentially
play C or even RT. I think the wild card is Prince getting a look @RG with Davis getting a
look at RT. But I'm probably off in the ether! No matter what it would seem C is the
biggest ? where I'm not comfortable counting on Kilgore.

Some folks are high on UDFA Deion Calhoun, and we also have 3 other UDFA @OL
that will get a serious look (though of course these are low % plays).

Also in the mix are Connor Hilland C, Isaac Asiata G, Michael Dunn G (AAF), Chris Reed G,
Jaryd Jones-Smith T (AAF) and Zach Stirrup T. Perhaps Reed and Jones-Smith are the 2 most
interesting. If this new staff can get Asiata pointed in the right direction it would be
a pleasant surprise.

Seems to be sufficient meat to work with in this group but the overall talent level is (of course)
in question. If we can get a bit lucky and hit on several of the new additions along with Deiter
(who we have to be counting on) and the OL coaching and scheme contribute positively --
we may have a decent to better than expected OL.

The Rosen factor is directly linked to the OL IMO.

IMO the OL is the key. I think we have a workable group @WR and the TE group
could surprise (contingent on Gesicki development, which is definitely a question).

As far as OL -- I think we're all assuming Deiter takes LG although the kid can potentially
play C or even RT. I think the wild card is Prince getting a look @RG with Davis getting a
look at RT. But I'm probably off in the ether! No matter what it would seem C is the
biggest ? where I'm not comfortable counting on Kilgore.

Some folks are high on UDFA Deion Calhoun, and we also have 3 other UDFA @OL
that will get a serious look (though of course these are low % plays).

Also in the mix are Connor Hilland C, Isaac Asiata G, Michael Dunn G (AAF), Chris Reed G,
Jaryd Jones-Smith T (AAF) and Zach Stirrup T. Perhaps Reed and Jones-Smith are the 2 most
interesting. If this new staff can get Asiata pointed in the right direction it would be
a pleasant surprise.

Seems to be sufficient meat to work with in this group but the overall talent level is (of course)
in question. If we can get a bit lucky and hit on several of the new additions along with Deiter
(who we have to be counting on) and the OL coaching and scheme contribute positively --
we may have a decent to better than expected OL.

The Rosen factor is directly linked to the OL IMO.

Agree, although I'll add no team needs 5 top 10 guys. A lot of teams with average OLmen do well. Which brings me to Kilgore. Not a top OC, but played decent last year. If Miami can get to decent OGs beside him, he could satisfy Miami's needs. The biggest trick in nor more Dallas Thomas's.

Miami will have no issues moving up from 32. The most important thing is establishing a running game. I think Miami has made this a priority with many of the linemen, blocking TEs and FB added. Gone should be the days of not being able to covert 3rd and short. We also added a very good RB with Vision in Gaskins.

Miami was good at converting 3rd or 4th and short, until Philbin and Gase came along! On 3rd and less than 1, Gase's favorite playcall was to throw it behind the line of scrimmage for a loss, and then blame the offense for not executing his perfect play. I am so glad he's gone! The current regime realizes the importance of being able to run the ball, and want o-linemen who can run-block. IMO, this change of offensive philosophy alone is worth an extra 2 or 3 wins!

If we intended to compete even at the middle of the pack we would have been more active in FA - I wouldn’t read much into being 32nd we are below average big whoop

This was not the year to strike in FA

However the Scheme alone will not make up for lack of horses - the team is on a three year rise

To the top of the division. We subtracted a lot and didn’t make up for all of it in one draft. Grier and Flores has a lot of rope to figure it out

We need that next draft in a big way

Miami was good at converting 3rd or 4th and short, until Philbin and Gase came along! On 3rd and less than 1, Gase's favorite playcall was to throw it behind the line of scrimmage for a loss, and then blame the offense for not executing his perfect play. I am so glad he's gone! The current regime realizes the importance of being able to run the ball, and want o-linemen who can run-block. IMO, this change of offensive philosophy alone is worth an extra 2 or 3 wins!
And we’ll probably see some QB sneaks on 3rd or 4th and short this year.

The situation with Gesicki is a bit unclear at this point, IMO.

While I do think he will play, as well as be utilized, better, if he remains a big liability in his blocking ability, he will likely not get a huge amount of playing time.

As an offense, you can't telegraph your intent by virtue of player packages, and alignment. That goes against the premise of "multiples" as I understand the philosophy.

That's one thing that made Gronk so effective. He could line up in multiple formations, in either the same, or different positions, without tipping off the defense as to intent.
Disagree. Most offenses in the NFL separate the TE in to two positions, Move TE and Inline TE, and while yes, it does telegraph your play to a certain extent, that's the way most of the NFL uses their TE's. It would be an unusual and very helpful weapon if you had the Rob Gronkowski unicorn who was an exceptional blocker and an exceptional receiver … but you can count those types on one hand.

Gesicki will be utilized as the Move TE and Dwayne Allen as the Inline TE. No way they're dumb enough to expect Allen to win seam routes or passing downs. We have 1 guy on the team who has that kind of ability, and it's Gesicki. We'll be using a FB 1/3 of the time, and I expect Allen on the field for most of those plays, but don't expect Allen to get 70% of the snaps … it's just not happening. Gesicki will be the primary Move TE, book it.

Disagree. Most offenses in the NFL separate the TE in to two positions, Move TE and Inline TE, and while yes, it does telegraph your play to a certain extent, that's the way most of the NFL uses their TE's. It would be an unusual and very helpful weapon if you had the Rob Gronkowski unicorn who was an exceptional blocker and an exceptional receiver … but you can count those types on one hand.

Gesicki will be utilized as the Move TE and Dwayne Allen as the Inline TE. No way they're dumb enough to expect Allen to win seam routes or passing downs. We have 1 guy on the team who has that kind of ability, and it's Gesicki. We'll be using a FB 1/3 of the time, and I expect Allen on the field for most of those plays, but don't expect Allen to get 70% of the snaps … it's just not happening. Gesicki will be the primary Move TE, book it.
i don't think this offense is going to be like "most" NFL offenses, so while I'm not dismissing what your view is, I don't see it playing out this way.

I hope he comes to camp stronger, in terms of being manhandled in his routes (he did make significant progress as the season went on), as well as continuing to become a more solid blocker. That would go a long way towards him seeing more snaps.

I have no doubt his athleticism, and ball skills are top level, for the position.

i don't think this offense is going to be like "most" NFL offenses, so while I'm not dismissing what your view is, I don't see it playing out this way.

I hope he comes to camp stronger, in terms of being manhandled in his routes (he did make significant progress as the season went on), as well as continuing to become a more solid blocker. That would go a long way towards him seeing more snaps.

I have no doubt his athleticism, and ball skills are top level, for the position.
I agree that the hope would be to find the unicorn complete TE, and I'm a huge fan of those for the same reasons you have mentioned previously, and yes, it would allow us to be multiple on offense. That is what Adam Gase prioritized from Gesicki last year, and frankly, I agree with that approach. Gesicki improved as a blocker … but he's still far off from being a good blocker. As most rookies, I'm expecting his offseason to be more about becoming sound and solid than just speed and explosion for testing and interview circuit like it was during the run up to the draft. We'll see a TE who is less hesitant--but still not completely competent as he learns the new offense.

Offseason workouts will harden him up. In college you play against boys, in the NFL, it is against men, and he will fare better after an offseason of physical preparation and, most importantly, knowledge level that allows him to play most of the time instinctively rather than trying to think through what he should be doing.

When we recall Rob Gronkowski's rookie year, he played in tandem with Aaron Hernandez, and Gronk played a Complete TE role, while Hernandez played a Move TE role that was closer to a slot receiver. I hesitate to even mention the guy's name, because of his off-field actions, but its worth pointing out that the Patriots system has a history of using the Move TE effectively. Gesicki can provide the seam routes that Gronkowski did, while flexing out and playing in the slot as well. While his rookie knowledge barrier showed last year, his play time also showed he could consistently outrun typical LB's and was a distinct size mismatch for the elite speed LB's, S's and CB's. Being 6'6" with a 41.5 vertical jump with long arms and big hands … makes you an incredible size mismatch against a speed specimen LB who is 6'0" with 38" vertical. Having that length and 4.5 speed becomes deadly if our OL can block long enough to run a seam route. Once Gesicki masters the playbook, he's going to see the ball in this offense.

Back
Top Bottom