Bobby Mccain Move To Safety? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bobby Mccain Move To Safety?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
1080392310.jpg.0.jpg

It’s possible McCain’s experience at safety was an experiment, a fill-in role with Reshad Jones skipping voluntary workouts. Or, maybe it’s a precursor to this fall. Regardless, McCain said he embraced it.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...ng-role-intriguing-subplot-for-miami-dolphins

I still think Reshad gets traded and they want Minkah closer to the LOS.

Most times I would say this is just trying to see how flexible we can be as a defense but w McCain I am beginning to think he doesn’t fit this defense as well as I once thought.

We’ve seen it many times before. A player works well in one scheme, then a new coach comes in with a new scheme and different expectations.

Also the position change game can often time be the precursor to getting cut. You typically don’t change positions when your doing a good job

I must be insane because I cannot understand why we're not putting Minkah @ CB #2 and McCain at slot.

Hoops - I trust your breakdowns. Sell me why you hate him on this team so much. I loved his coverage of the slot and you cant just let those guys walk.

Championship!!!

I must be insane because I cannot understand why we're not putting Minkah @ CB #2 and McCain at slot.

Hoops - I trust your breakdowns. Sell me why you hate him on this team so much. I loved his coverage of the slot and you cant just let those guys walk.

I am not hoops but he hasnt played the slot that well to be the highest paid slot corner in the league. He got abused last year in coverage and I dont care if he was playing out of position as a boundary corner because he will be out of position as a safety as well.

This McCain at safety and Minkah continuing at corner situation has been the only thing that has me questioning Flores and this coaching staff so far.

Everyrhing else has been good but they still have not figured out this secondary. Is it so hard to see that Minkah should be the free safety and McCain should only play the slot?

<<Is it so hard to see that minkah should be the free safety and and McCain should only play the slot?>>

You and I took a different road to get to the same conclusion. There HAS to be something we aren't seeing. McCain is a man cover guy. He's strong in the slot because he has good instincts and great quickness. I saw him on the boundary last year completely lost and unable to close the gap when his insticts led him just shy of a ball.

I agree with you. Him on boundary is atrocious. Him at safety is puzzling, but I still feel they were simply seeing what they had for depth purposes. Put McCain in the slot, maximze your value out of him, and put Minkah @ FS. Or honestly I loved him at boundary corner as well, but he was torched a few times as well. Safety is his natural position and he's proven to play at a high level while there so... what am I missing?

This is an interesting #TankForTua strategy.

I've said many times if the team wins only 2 games, overwhelming odds are the coaching staff need to be booted. It's so rare that a good staff can't manufacture more than 2 wins on an NFL schedule in a league dominated by parity, poor road teams, home field advantages, injuries, etc. I think literally the last and perhaps only time it happened, that a winning staff led a team that bad, was 30 years ago with Jimmy Johnson in Dallas.

But I'll say this. Taking a 5'9.5" career slot corner, who ranked #96 of 133 in tackle efficiency even among corners last year, with zero experience at safety, handing him deep center responsibilities and having him be the last line of defense trying to prevent deep passes and touchdown runs, having to close out on the ball with all that green in front of him and read the entire width of the field with no experience doing so...well, that's a pretty good way to play "well" defensively on 75 of 80 plays, and still lose the game by 14 points.

McCain had one solid year as slot CB two years ago after looking horrible up until then. He then reverted to horrible last year though, in his defense, he was being used as a boundary CB.

As for being a safety, I cant think of one physical skill he has that you look for in a safety (short, small with so-so closing speed) and he seems to get crossed up in coverages too often so I question his ability to QB the dbs. He's not a good tackler. I expect this is just cross training as the coaching staff values versatility and depth. When I think of McCain anywhere but in the slot, I have many sads.

1080392310.jpg.0.jpg

It’s possible McCain’s experience at safety was an experiment, a fill-in role with Reshad Jones skipping voluntary workouts. Or, maybe it’s a precursor to this fall. Regardless, McCain said he embraced it.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...ng-role-intriguing-subplot-for-miami-dolphins
He’s expendable now with minkah here, we have a hole at free saftey, they’re trying him there and if it doesn’t work they can try and trade him and find his replacement in the off season

<<Is it so hard to see that minkah should be the free safety and and McCain should only play the slot?>>

You and I took a different road to get to the same conclusion. There HAS to be something we aren't seeing. McCain is a man cover guy. He's strong in the slot because he has good instincts and great quickness. I saw him on the boundary last year completely lost and unable to close the gap when his insticts led him just shy of a ball.

I agree with you. Him on boundary is atrocious. Him at safety is puzzling, but I still feel they were simply seeing what they had for depth purposes. Put McCain in the slot, maximze your value out of him, and put Minkah @ FS. Or honestly I loved him at boundary corner as well, but he was torched a few times as well. Safety is his natural position and he's proven to play at a high level while there so... what am I missing?

Simple answer you are correct unless as CK there is a underlying motive to want to loose.

Hopefully CK is wrong as I believe it as important this year to evaluate our coaching staff as it is to aquire the overall draft pick or top QBs in next years draft.

Pretty simple at this point in time IMO.

We have to trust the coaching staff knows precisely what they are doing.

And we have to believe that until proven otherwise.

(including the comprehensive evaluation of players in multiple positions
and the implementation of their system based on max flexibility etc.)

As far as McCain being used in some weird conspiracy theory "tank maneuver"

>>> that's nonsense. IMO.

McCain had one solid year as slot CB two years ago after looking horrible up until then. He then reverted to horrible last year though, in his defense, he was being used as a boundary CB.

As for being a safety, I cant think of one physical skill he has that you look for in a safety (short, small with so-so closing speed) and he seems to get crossed up in coverages too often so I question his ability to QB the dbs. He's not a good tackler. I expect this is just cross training as the coaching staff values versatility and depth. When I think of McCain anywhere but in the slot, I have many sads.

Im with you. I also dont buy into anything relating to a tank theory. I believe that the narrative has been set, so that if we exceed, we're crushing it. If we fail, it was expected and we move forward. But at the very least, we need to know what we have in several people, McCain AND Fitz.

How do you ruin a guaranteed allstar like Minkah? You move him around to 50 different position. I hope we dont have this convo next year, is all.

Back
Top Bottom