Bobby Mccain Move To Safety? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bobby Mccain Move To Safety?

Im with you. I also dont buy into anything relating to a tank theory. I believe that the narrative has been set, so that if we exceed, we're crushing it. If we fail, it was expected and we move forward. But at the very least, we need to know what we have in several people, McCain AND Fitz.

How do you ruin a guaranteed allstar like Minkah? You move him around to 50 different position. I hope we dont have this convo next year, is all.

I may feel a bit differently on Fitz. If he is as good and versatile as he seems to be, I'm okay with him being an X factor that can be moved to different positions to optimize his impact game by game. Having said that, if this approach is stunting his growth or impact, find him his best home and put him there for the next decade...

I’m not the biggest fan of McCains game yet, just don’t see a lot of impact plays at critical situations, pff has him 102 out of 112, not sure how that’s possible, hopefully a typo.

McCain had one solid year as slot CB two years ago after looking horrible up until then. He then reverted to horrible last year though, in his defense, he was being used as a boundary CB.

As for being a safety, I cant think of one physical skill he has that you look for in a safety (short, small with so-so closing speed) and he seems to get crossed up in coverages too often so I question his ability to QB the dbs. He's not a good tackler. I expect this is just cross training as the coaching staff values versatility and depth. When I think of McCain anywhere but in the slot, I have many sads.
Spot on

This is an interesting #TankForTua strategy.

I've said many times if the team wins only 2 games, overwhelming odds are the coaching staff need to be booted. It's so rare that a good staff can't manufacture more than 2 wins on an NFL schedule in a league dominated by parity, poor road teams, home field advantages, injuries, etc. I think literally the last and perhaps only time it happened, that a winning staff led a team that bad, was 30 years ago with Jimmy Johnson in Dallas.

But I'll say this. Taking a 5'9.5" career slot corner, who ranked #96 of 133 in tackle efficiency even among corners last year, with zero experience at safety, handing him deep center responsibilities and having him be the last line of defense trying to prevent deep passes and touchdown runs, having to close out on the ball with all that green in front of him and read the entire width of the field with no experience doing so...well, that's a pretty good way to play "well" defensively on 75 of 80 plays, and still lose the game by 14 points.
Exactly. At S he will get trucked by runners galore. I don’t get it at all.

Exactly. At S he will get trucked by runners galore. I don’t get it at all.

I think it’s because they think Minkahs skillset is best utilized in the slot, and that’s McCain’s position, so he either cross trains elsewhere or poof.

I think it’s because they think Minkahs skillset is best utilized in the slot, and that’s McCain’s position, so he either cross trains elsewhere or poof.

This.

Minkah Fitzpatrick was a standout college player at slot. That's what he was. All things being equal, you should do your damnedest to have your players doing what made them famous. And a Minkah Fitzpatrick is more important to the future of this defense than a Bobby McCain.

People are misunderstanding my #TankForTua comment. I was not suggesting a conspiracy theory. I was suggesting that this is yet more evidence that they have absolutely not a care in the world about whether they win in 2019 or not, that their priorities are almost purely about 2020 and beyond. A set of priorities like that can and will lead to decisions that seem to neatly fall into #TankForTua, by 'coincidence'.

The net effect of this move from an analyst's standpoint is the insertion of a wildcard factor that works toward preventing you making a real determination about the coaching staff's worth based on the team's performance in 2019. It provides a pathway to seeing the defense perform adequately or even ideally for 75 of 80 plays, but still allowing 28 points and losing the game by multiple scores.

I suppose there is logic that the loss of Bobby McCain's "equity" as an above average slot cornerback was completely wiped out the moment we drafted Minkah, and we've lost all trade value.

I only am concerned because I still dont like what we have at safety. It feels like we need to fresh start there, versus the weird log jam of similar skillsets.

I don't like moving Bobby to Safety. We paid him as a top slot CB and then we draft Minkah and put him at Slot CB with a #1 pick. Put Minkah at FS or boundary CB and leave Bobby in the slot CB. This sounds like 2 mistakes in addition to signing two SS to play FS and SS.

I don't understand how playing Minkah closer to the line of scrimmage in the slot, where he played and became famous at Alabama, could be considered a mistake.

I get that moving Bobby McCain to FS could be considered a mistake and I agree with that.

But two mistakes? Don't see that.

Back
Top Bottom