Book: Brady Considered 'divorce' From Belichick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Book: Brady Considered 'divorce' From Belichick

Phindog

Active Roster
Reaction score
The beginning of the end. So sad......:laugh

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Brady's new book says Tom long worried about being 'pushed out' by Bill Belichick

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady felt trapped in the offseason and was not sure he wanted to play anymore for the only NFL coach he has ever had, Bill Belichick, according to a new book on Belichick's life.

"If you're married 18 years to a grouchy person who gets under your skin and never compliments you, after a while you want to divorce him," a source with knowledge of the Brady-Belichick relationship told ESPN's Ian O'Connor, author of "Belichick: The Making of the Greatest Football Coach of All Time," after the 2017 season.

"Tom knows Bill is the best coach in the league, but he's had enough of him. If Tom could, I think he would divorce him."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rady-long-worried-being-pushed-bill-belichick

Last edited:
So the rumors that Kraft and Brady conspired to push Belichek to trade Garoppollo miggt be true.

I also find tgis quote interesting
Brady started worrying for his job almost immediately after Belichick cited his age and contract status -- and the coach's own desire to be "early rather than late at that position" -- when the Patriots drafted Garoppolo in 2014. One New England assistant said the general feeling among staff members around that time wasn't that Belichick's system could make Super Bowl quarterbacks out of all 32 NFL starters. "But if you gave us any of the top 15, we could do it," the assistant said. "I don't think the coaches view Tom as special as everyone else in football does. Mr. Kraft thinks Tom is the greatest gift ever, but the coaches don't."

I took a lot of heat over the years for not putting Brady on a pedestal. I always believed that he was a system QB and that he would not be as successful somewhere else.

I wonder how this story will go over with Belichick. If Brady thought that his coach was grouchy before.....:lol:

So the rumors that Kraft and Brady conspired to push Belichek to trade Garoppollo miggt be true.

I took a lot of heat over the years for not putting Brady on a pedestal. I always believed that he was a system QB and that he would not be as successful somewhere else.

I wonder how this story will go over with Belichick. If Brady thought that his coach was grouchy before.....:lol:

We'll we actually agree on something, was never really overly impressed with Brady. This book is exactly what Bill Bilichick doesn't want or need along with Brady during the regular season, especially when both are pretty close to retiring.

7 more losses and the Tom Brady era is over IMO. 6 more loses and the pats will squeak in as a wild card and be a one and done.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom Brady reportedly wants to 'divorce' Bill Belichick, considered leaving Pats as recently as late March

According to the new "Belichick" book by Ian O'Connor, the Patriots quarterback is tired of his situation

Brady "If you're married 18 years to a grouchy person who gets under your skin and never compliments you, after a while you want to divorce him,"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...dered-leaving-pats-as-recently-as-late-march/

I'm sure they do feel that way. It fits their pattern, to believe that coaching is the only thing that matters.

Well, it doesn't. It matters a helluva lot, but it's arrogance to believe it's everything. And that kind of arrogance is... well, it's inevitable. Look at Don Shula, who figured that if he was a great coach then he must be a great personnel evaluator too. With Belichick, it's coaching. "I can coach anybody into a good player." It must grate on him that Brady is considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, just as (I guarantee you) it gratifies him a little when his assistants crash and burn as head coaches with their new teams.

Belichick has always had a blind spot for quarterbacks. He can't really evaluate them. Look at the guys he's drafted since Brady. He won with Matt Cassel, sure, but five fewer games than he won with Brady the year before with essentially the same roster. Belichick is also the guy who dumped Bernie Kosar and thought Vinny Testaverde (the ultimate "talent" you can fool yourself into thinking you can coach up) would be the savior in Cleveland. Who took Eric Zeier in the third round. Who took Ryan Mallet in the second round only a few years ago.

Go ahead, Bill. Dump Brady and prove to the world what a genius you are. I dare you.

I'm sure they do feel that way. It fits their pattern, to believe that coaching is the only thing that matters.

Well, it doesn't. It matters a helluva lot, but it's arrogance to believe it's everything. And that kind of arrogance is... well, it's inevitable. Look at Don Shula, who figured that if he was a great coach then he must be a great personnel evaluator too. With Belichick, it's coaching. "I can coach anybody into a good player." It must grate on him that Brady is considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, just as (I guarantee you) it gratifies him a little when his assistants crash and burn as head coaches with their new teams.

Belichick has always had a blind spot for quarterbacks. He can't really evaluate them. Look at the guys he's drafted since Brady. He won with Matt Cassel, sure, but five fewer games than he won with Brady the year before with essentially the same roster. Belichick is also the guy who dumped Bernie Kosar and thought Vinny Testaverde (the ultimate "talent" you can fool yourself into thinking you can coach up) would be the savior in Cleveland. Who took Eric Zeier in the third round. Who took Ryan Mallet in the second round only a few years ago.

Go ahead, Bill. Dump Brady and prove to the world what a genius you are. I dare you.
First of all we don't know how many games more they would have won in 2008 with Brady. To simply assume that they would have had the same run like the year before is presumptious. Let's assume that they could have gone 12-4 or 13-3 with Brady. The fact that Cassell, a 7th round pick 3 years earlier, was able to step in and haul in 11 wins with literally no significant playing time in the 3 years before that is a clear indication that in NE the system is above the QB.

Over the years NE was able to insert backup even third stringers into the lineup without losing any significant punch.
The simple fact that all these QBs never made a major impact with other teams strengthens the argument of their coaching staff that they could plug in any QB and it strengthen the argument of those who think that Brady is merely a product of the system.

There is a reason that Brady stuck around with a grouchy coach all these years. There is a reason that the Pats were able to low ball him financially all these years. His success was tied to the Patriots while the Patriots success not neccessarly relied on Brady.

Back
Top Bottom