Boomer.. 2 College O-lineman for you | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer.. 2 College O-lineman for you

RUDEbyallMEANS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I've been reading some player profiles on needed positions and 2 names interested me..

OG Monreko Crittenden of Auburn and OT Max Starks of Florida

Monreko is said to be very raw at pass blocking because of the lack of passing attack Auburn played with all year but is said to be an excellent pick up for a run-oriented offense.. Excellent run blocker but will need to sharpen his pass blocking techniques to be a well-balanced lineman..

Max Starks is said to have all the tools in the world to be a dominant offensive tackle.. The problems with him is his lack of motivation and his technique..

What do you think about these 2 prospects for Miami in the 3rd round?? You think they'll make it that far in the draft or would they be picked up earlier?

I dont want any linemen who have questions about their attutude or work ethic. You can find good linemen with good ability and attitude late. But you want to get a guy in the first round if possible that will be a road grader. I think the best thing for us would be (if we had two picks in first) is Vernon Carey and Phillip Rivers. that would be a solid first two picks. Then you go get another damn linemen and WR in third/fourth. I think also if anything, get a WR in free agency.

I personally want to draft my Oline and not bring in FA if at all possible.

I have NEVER been a fan of Max Starks. I think he plays soft, considering his size - about 6-7 and 350 - fails to truly dominate opponents. He seems like he's forever going half speed. He's not got quick feet at all and plays high at times. I don't see him as an NFL LT because he can get dominated by the speed rush. He's had some off field problems with weight and missing meetings, crashing cars, etc. I would avoid him like the plague personally. (Now watch as he goes onto an All Pro career !)

As for Crittenden, he's a 3 year starter at G and a real mauler in the run game - when you block for Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown, then it's hard not to be a good run blocker. He's big for a G at around 350, and has had weight trouble in the past, but has decent feet. - he's surprisingly agile at the line. He is however slow and for a pulling team like us, you wonder whether he has the foot speed to get out in front of Ricky. That said, when he is out in front, he takes care of business, keeping his blocking mechanics solid and mauling guys, with a swivel head. He's decent blocking down the line and gets his big hands on you agressively and keeps working. But like you say, he is inexperienced as a pass blocker. He struggles moving backwards in protection - at times he looks like he could fall over and he is a bit of a waist bender. He did play T early in his career, but is a pure G. As a run blocker, he'd be a nice pick-up for this club, but my concern is that he would struggle against the pass rushing DT's.

Then you keep him with the center. He plays RG. That is what most of those types of players do.

I like Max Starks more than Vernon Carey. I think Starks is the better player. Max Starks struggled as a left tackle two years ago, but he really had a great season this year after being moved inside to guard. He was a much better guard than Vernon Carey was.

Vernon Carey is a lazy person, and he admitted that he got lazy this year. It will take a lot of convincing to show me that he won't get lazy again.

I don't want a 6-7 guard clogging up my throwing lane.

Back
Top Bottom