Boomer- Now Leinart is staying... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer- Now Leinart is staying...

MNFINFAN

Premium Member
Reaction score
who do you think will break through the pack and become the clear cut #1, is there even anyone out there that could? Such a shame to finally have a top pick and end up with such a weak draft.

Cheers mate and how is your little girl doing?

What are the odds that QB Alex Smith works his way into consideration for our pick?

I think Miami needs to continue to find out if the investment made in Feeley will pay dividends. Instead of drafting a QB at #2, move down and draft BPA cuz Miami has needs at every position with the exception of TE.

Clumpy said:
I think Miami needs to continue to find out if the investment made in Feeley will pay dividends. Instead of drafting a QB at #2, move down and draft BPA cuz Miami has needs at every position with the exception of TE.
That would make sense, the only issue I have with trading down is who to trade with? AS there are no really stars in this draft I think it is going to be hard to find a trading partner or if we do find one then get a fair amount of picks in exchange. Can only hope that the combine and senior bowl etc produce some rapid risers.

MNFINFAN said:
That would make sense, the only issue I have with trading down is who to trade with? AS there are no really stars in this draft I think it is going to be hard to find a trading partner or if we do find one then get a fair amount of picks in exchange. Can only hope that the combine and senior bowl etc produce some rapid risers.

Call me crazy, but I think that the fact that this is a weak draft makes our bargaining position better.

Think about it: if there isn't a clearly defined top-5, then for a team in the middle to end of the round, it comes down to need. They will want to trade up just to make sure they get that #1 player at the position they need most, be it QB, LB, whatever - that player will become all the more important to them.

San Diego might be a good example; they are close, now that they are doing well. Let's say thay feel they need a certain position above all others - that there's one position where if they had the right guy, it would get them to the next level of the playoffs. And let's say it's linebacker. Well, they could look at Derrick Johnson and say, "that's the guy!" And knowing that he won't be there when they first pick, couldn't they think that it would be a good deal to give up something to get our second-overall pick, and ensure that Johnson held a Bolt's uni in the first half-hour of the draft?

Now that's just an example - it could be any team hot for any one particular player over all the others at a given position. But you get the picture - isn't it feasible?

Good point Nabocane. Once the combine and ind. workouts are done, a few players could separate themselves from the pack and a team like Dallas or San Diego may be willing to move up. SD could use a #1 WR like Braylon Edwards. Dallas could be interested in Rodgers or A. Smith.

NaboCane said:
Call me crazy, but I think that the fact that this is a weak draft makes our bargaining position better.

Think about it: if there isn't a clearly defined top-5, then for a team in the middle to end of the round, it comes down to need. They will want to trade up just to make sure they get that #1 player at the position they need most, be it QB, LB, whatever - that player will become all the more important to them.

San Diego might be a good example; they are close, now that they are doing well. Let's say thay feel they need a certain position above all others - that there's one position where if they had the right guy, it would get them to the next level of the playoffs. And let's say it's linebacker. Well, they could look at Derrick Johnson and say, "that's the guy!" And knowing that he won't be there when they first pick, couldn't they think that it would be a good deal to give up something to get our second-overall pick, and ensure that Johnson held a Bolt's uni in the first half-hour of the draft?

Now that's just an example - it could be any team hot for any one particular player over all the others at a given position. But you get the picture - isn't it feasible?

Very good point, and good to see another way of looking at it. That is what will make this off season so fun as there are bound to be so many surprises and twists and turns over the next 6 months.

Cheers

Paul

Still alot of things to go on with the all star games and combine. Wasnt Boller a projected 3rd rounder at this point 2 years ago? If Jerry Jones sticks his nose in enough i think the Cowboys could trade up but doubtful with Parcells there...The Chargers could be interesting, they already have 2 firsts and could concievably get another by tradeing one of their qb's. Thats alot of firepower if they decide to make a move.

Right now, the top two draft picks are shaping up to be 1(a) and 1(b), as far as I'm concerned. And I keep getting a weird feeling about us picking up Alex Smith.

Leinart's mind-boggling decision to stay in school didn't help us, but we're still in good shape for a trade down. There are two franchise QBs in this draft: Smith and Rodgers. Franchise QBs usually inflate the value of a draft pick. Someone will want to move up.

Back
Top Bottom