Boomer's Top 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Top 15

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
This is how I see it on March 31st 2007. I refuse the right to change my mind ;)

1. Calvin Johnson
Quite possibly the best player I've graded in 15 years. In a way I hate to be so high on a WR who might only handle the ball 5/6/7 times a game, but what is there not to like? Tremendous hands, a sharp route runner, with great speed and an extra gear. He's strong, he's physical, he's aggressive going after the ball and he's a great kid. Down at the Disney Pre-Combine camp, he worked harder than anyone and any team picking him not called the Oakland Raiders is getting one of the steals of this draft or any draft. I honestly can't find a flaw in his game. He has only caught 127 of 271 passes thrown at him, but Reggie Ball is his QB, so you can salt that one away. Just a disgustingly talented individual.

2. Adrian Peterson.
He's been #2 on my board behind CJ since the aftermath of last years draft and nothing has changed. If he can stay healthy, then he has Hall of Fame ability. I mean that. The best back to come down the pipe since Barry Sanders. I have no issue over the upright style – didn't hurt Dickerson, doesn't hurt Larry Johnson. Watching AP run is like going to the Tate Gallery in London or the Metropolitan Museum in New York. It’s art. He has everything in his game to be one of the greats.

3. Brady Quinn.
Not buying any of the nonsense that has surrounded his draft 'off-season'. A brilliant leader of men, as hard working off the field as he is good on it. From diet to tape study, from weight room work, to finding sports that compliment his ability – his work with Zbikowski as a boxer for example. If Miami ended up with him, it'd be a happy day in the Clancy house. I think he's the sort of player that you win Superbowls with and I'm certain that Cam views him as the sort of player that he can work with for a decade and build Miami into something dominant.

4. Joe Thomas
I've said it before, I don't think he's in the same class as D'Brickashaw Ferguson last year, but he's a good player. Wants to win, as evidenced by playing defense to help the team only to tear up his knee. Scouts say he reminds them of a better Paul Gruber and I can totally see that. He has some issues with regards sinking his hips in pass pro, but he has brilliant feet, and in terms of getting to the 2nd level, he's quick and he’s utterly relentless. He's truly poetry in motion down the field. Absolutely will not accept anything less than the best. Got to like that.

5. Patrick Willis
Beast. A can't miss prospect, IMO and I don't say that a lot. Can play MLB or the weakside. Has it all. Needs to continue to work on the pass coverage, but he improved that side of his game in 2006. He's quick, smart, a great kid, and uber-productive. He's AJ Hawk, he's Randy Gradishar. Another quick twitch guy who works through trash and is forever around the ball. Ridiculously safe pick.

6. Adam Carriker
Another Beast. I personally saw him a couple of times in 2006 and followed his game closely and didn't think he had a 'great' year. But he played well enough and you can't argue with the attitude from moment 1 of this draft process; he's re-written the textbook for attitude, application, dedication and flat out ability. He can be a 3 or a 5 technique guy for us and whilst he's probably not going to be a 12/14 sack guy, his ability to collapse the pocket, to shut down the run and chase down plays from the backside make him a very valuable commodity . Looks like another can't miss guy. The white Richard Seymour.

7. Ted Ginn Jr.
This might be considered high, but this is a legitimate 4.2 forty guy, who can catch, who hasn't gotten close to scraping the ceiling of his talent. I’ve said it for ages, but his x-factor ability on offense, to dominate that strong side of the field and to absolutely have to be accounted for on every play, makes him so valuable. And we haven’t even talked return game. An offensive guru like Cam should be able to get him the ball as a WR as the Z, in the slot, on reverses, middle screens, you could line him up as a back or even as a run/pass option at QB. AND he can play some corner as well if need be. Has the work ethic and mentality to dominate.

8. Gaines Adams
I want to see him be more consistent and play with more fire. I was fascinated to read a scout at Indy say the following; "You wish he had a little more glass in his diet. He is a very casual, laid-back person. Gotta question his toughness." But he's got all the ability in the world. He can be a devastating pass rusher, he's a quick twitch guy who, when he turns it on, can be unblockable. Would be higher if he didn't loaf so much.

9. Amobi Okoye
Ridiculous talent when you consider his age and experience. Fast, athletic, he looks unblockable at times, but needs to show me he can play with sustained power. Seems to be able to add and shed weight easily, but it would be nice to get him commit ether to add 15/20lbs and play the nose or stick at around 295/300 and play that Warren Sapp role in a Tampa 2. Scouts wonder if he's too tightly wound and too analytical in his play, but with the right coaching, he could be special. The concern would be that if you sign him to a 4 year deal, he's going to be a free agent before he even hits his prime.

10. Reggie Nelson
A JUCO transfer, he's a little undersized weight wise, but he's ripped, he's thick and he has a big bubble, which he uses to perfection when he brings the load. Really rangy, ridiculously athletic and outstanding when the ball's in the air. He just makes plays and you can't argue with what he brings to the table as an all rounder. I actually think he could play SS for Miami as well as the free.

11. Jamaal Anderson
Would be significantly higher if not for the fact that he dominated over such a small period of time. But his upside is off the charts. He's quick, he can rush the passer, he has the arms and the lean to get under a tackle and he can stand up against the run, although I don't think he plays it as well as some do and I wish he flowed to the ball more consistently in the run game. 13.5 sacks 19.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and 26 pressures make him tough to ignore. He was very highly rated coming out of HS so he's not come totally from no-where. A little buyer beware.

12. LaRon Landry
Boom. Lights out hitter. Big, powerful player who can fill the box and unleash on a runner or on a WR who dares test the middle. Brilliant blitzer as well. I love his instincts and his ability to diagnose and get to the ball carrier in a hurry. My concerns about him are two-fold. I know that scouts have worries about him and how smart he is, whilst I wonder just how polished he is when the ball's in the air and just how much of a weak spot that might become.

13. Darrelle Revis
Have liked this kid since forever. Can play cover or zone, has great size, good speed, but what I love is his instincts to drop off a route and come underneath to make the play and his ability against the run. I actually think his best position might be free safety, which is a compliment, considering I think he's the 13th best player in the draft as a CB. I want to see a better technique in his backpedal – he plays high, but he flips his hips without losing anything and has good awareness of the ball. Love him.

14. Leon Hall
Fundamentally sound corner. Probably not in the mould of a great, All Pro type, but likely to be a pretty solid #1 for 6/7 years. Like Revis he has punt return ablities. He covers well, tackles well, runs well, he's smart. He's good. Really good. But just not great. Thought he had a disappointing senior season.

15. JaMarcus Russell
Greatest arm I've ever seen. Unquestionably. Seen a lot of him at LSU and can't help but be impressed with his progression as a passer. But the mental side of his game hasn't progressed at all. I think he'll get baffled by NFL coverages and make a lot of mistakes and throw a lot of picks. Can't see how anyone would spend the #1 pick on a guy who turns up to the biggest job interview of his life carrying the flab he did, with the questionable work ethic. I don't know how much he really loves the game. But back to the arm; one of the games I saw this year was against Ole Miss and he made a play deep in his own territory, spun out of two tackles, shifted towards the weak side sideline and then slung it about 70 yards into double coverage to Dwayne Bowe. Sick.

And if I was to take it to 20, my next 5 would be:

16. Chis Houston
17. Levi Brown
18. Jarvis Moss
19. Robert Meacham
20. Alan Branch

Good info Boomer, thanks.

I have been sleeping on Carriker, is he that good to be above Adams, Okoye and Anderson?

That's one of the best big boards I've seen in quite some time, Boomer. And a finde read as well, I might add. Thanks for the effort.

I understand that you ranked the players according to talent, instead of value, which is why I can't (and won't) question you ranking Willis in front of Carriker, which struck me as odd at first glance. Personally, I have Carriker ahead of Willis because he's more versatile and plays a "value position". In terms of pure talent, however, it's absolutely legitimate to rank Willis ahead of Carriker.

I'm still not that big a fan of Levi Brown (I like Joe Staley better), but you can't argue about him being in the top 20. The one player I have some problems with in your list is Ted Ginn. As long as he doesn't run the 4.2 or 4.3 you mentioned, I don't see him there. He's definitely a wildcard who could easily crack the top 10, but at the moment, there's just too many questions for my taste. In addition, I don't see you mentioning his questionable route running, which I'm rather concerned about. Getting separation in the NFL, in my opinion, is as much a question of route running as it is a question of pure speed. Even if he clocks at 4.2 during his workouts, I'd be concerned if he can manage to get open on a regular basis. I definitely think that you can work on the running, but I'm not sure if he's got top 10 written on him with this concern.

If it's not too much to ask for, I'd be curious about which players you have on your list for the #40 pick. I'm currently working on a list for a mockdraft game I'm taking part in, and I'm having a hard time getting together more than five or six players I really like at this position.

I have been sleeping on Carriker, is he that good to be above Adams, Okoye and Anderson?

In my most humble opinion: absolutely. Carriker is one of the most versatile players of this draft (he can play either 3-4 or 4-3 DE and 4-3 DT as well), he's got all the work ethic you're looking for, had a great senior bowl and is athletic to the point of being scary. While Adams might me the better pure pass-rusher, Carriker is an all-around end in the likes (as Boomer has already pointed out) of Richard Seymour. And those are incredibly hard to find. In addition, he'd be a near perfect fit for Capers' defense: He can play end in the 3-4 when Taylor lines up as OLB (now that's a duo to be scared of) and DT when Taylor plays end in the 4-3.

Boomer,

Given your rankings, and if Quinn is gone by the 9th pick, would you select Willis over Ginn despite Miami's obvious offensive needs? There is a school of thought that unless players are very closely ranked, a team should choose the higher ranked player over the need position or the teams overall talent level will ultimately suffer. Your thoughts?

nice job boomer very good analysis just think your spot for russell is to low and i like landry over nelson,ginn at 7 lets see how he runs first but you could be right on

Just as good, if not better than alot of draft publications out there. You rock BOOM!!!!

There is a school of thought that unless players are very closely ranked, a team should choose the higher ranked player over the need position or the teams overall talent level will ultimately suffer.

It will. There are situations in which it makes sense to ignore that possiblity (if you are just one or two players away from being a serious SB contender, for example), but generally speaking, I would argue that the whole point of the draft is to infuse young talent into your roster. If you want to fill needs, do so in FA. This is particularly true for top 10 picks, in my opinion. You don't want a single or double here, you want a home run. I'd rather take one great player instead of two good ones, even if the good ones fill glaring needs and the great one doesn't. Take the Jason Allen pick last year (I still don't buy that he was the #1 ranked player on our draft board - but if he was, it was one heck of a strange draft board). It filled an obvious need (well, at least it was supposed to), but it didn't add the amount of talent you'd like to have in the first round.

In the case of Willis versus Ginn, I'd go for Willis. While both have the potential to become great players instead of "merely" good ones, Willis is a can't miss prospect. And that's exactly what I'd be looking for with a team that can't afford to miss anymore.

Excellent as always Boomer. These forums are better for having knowledgable people like you around this time of year. :happydrin

Good info Boomer, thanks.

There is less boom and bust in Carriker. The work ethic, the heart, the business nature, the way he showed up in Indy physique wise, the speed and change direction ability for such a big man. Okoye and Anderson have monstrous upside's and Carriker isn't going to come in and surprise you with the extraordinary, but he'll give you a decade of quality.

Nice board Boom, not much to argue with there.

I am one that is beginning to wonder if passing on Patrick Willis may be the type decision that harkens back to bypassing Ray Lewis for Daryl Gardener.

Not to say that Gardener wasn't a fine prospect or a very good player, but I think we can agree on which of those two will be enshrined in Canton one day.

I have this uneasy feeling Patrick Willis may end up being that good of a Pro.

Back
Top Bottom