Boomer's Top 15 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Top 15

There's a chance. I mean, I think we all know the relationship between Russell and Phil Savage and that Randy Lerner has demanded a new QB. The question is, Savage and Crennel are on the edge of the precipice in terms of job safety. Can they afford to pick 3rd and bring in a Russell who might not contribute for 2 seasons, by which time they've been whacked?

I don't see the signing of Jamal Lewis as anything long term or overly significant. I still think they look at Adrian Peterson.

I agree if my job was on the line this season I'd pick AP over a Rookie QB. If Russell and Quinn are available after 3 the Dolphins should be on the phone with the Bucs.

great stuff Boomer, thanks for all the effort and answering all the questions.... you need a taco.

Nice post, very informative, but here’s some differing thoughts:

1) Quinn over Russell. I like Quinn and feel he is the only one of the two the Dolphins have a shot at. As such, I hope the Dolphins get him. However, I disagree with your assessment of Russell. Russell’s coaches noted that he was one of the hardest working players on the team for the last two years, constantly putting extra time in sudying film and breaking down opponents. He also consistently put in extra work with his WRs after practice. I think you are putting too much emphasis on his weight room work or lack thereof. He does not need to get stronger like a Brady Quinn may have needed. Two key areas where Russell is better than Quinn are arm strength and accuracy. As you stated, Russell has a much stronger arm than Quinn. While the need to throw the ball 80 yards is rare, the additional arm strength does have value in throwing deep outs and putting touch on longer passes. Russell is also more accurate than Quinn throwing from the pocket AND on the move. Look at how accurate Russell is thowing downfield while on the move. Even moving to his left he is accurate throwing 40 yards downfield. There are numerous examples of this. I think accuracy is one of the most important traits a QB needs. One other key point is look how many times Russell led his team from behind against quality opponents, victories on the road over top ten teams such as Alabama in ’05 and Tennessee and Arkansas in ’06. Home wins over Auburn and Florida in ’05. Not to mention the blowout of ND in ’06. IMHO, Russell is a better QB today and has a much higher ceiling than Quinn ( I still like Quinn). Russell should be the first pick though and the Phins will have no shot at him.

2) Ted Ginn. Taking a player this high who has so little proven skill at his primary position (WR) is scary to me. He is a very explosive player who has shown great return capabilities but as a WR he has many question marks. Can he catch in traffic? Will he go over the middle (not underneath routes)? Can he block downfield? With his frailty, will he hold up? Can he beat physical NFL CB’s off the line? As far as his frailty goes, many people try to compare him to Marvin Harrison. MH was a much more polished WR than Ginn and MH’s only question mark was his frailty, not his skill set. Ginn could turn out to be Santana Moss but he could also turn out to be Randal Hill or even a WR version of John Avery.

3) LaRon Landry. I’m surprised to see him below Reggie Nelson or even out o fthe top 10. Your comments about his ‘smarts’ are the first I’ve heard of this. Remember, as a true freshman Landry mastered the same complex system Saban runs that Troy Polomalu, Lawyer Milloy, Rodney Harrison and our own Jason Allen initially struggled with as pros. Primary run responsibilites, blitzing, deep coverage calls...That has to display some football aptitude. He was starting and helping with secondary calls as a true freshman on a National Championship team. The guy is 6’1†215 lbs., runs a 4.35 forty, has double digit int’s fro his career, benches over 400 lbs and is one of the surest tackling safeties to come out in years. What’s not to like? I know you have him ranked high, just lower than most others.

4) Joe Thomas. In some of his games against quality opponents, I noticed he would get driven back into the QB. Do you have any more comments or conerns about him? Just curious.

Just some thoughts, great post.

Very good read and I agree with your assesments of Willis and Revis. Willis ability to play inside or outside can only help the team who drafts him. If I'm not mistaken, he showed at the Senior Bowl that he is better in coverage than many thought he was.

Revis' ability to drop off his coverage to make the play underneath reminds me of what Sam Madison used to do.

The more I read about Boomer's opinions regarding Ginn, the more I become convinced he's the man to take at #9. As of right now, my options would be:

1) Brady Quinn to fall
2) Adrian Peterson to fall then trade it for pics
3) Ted Ginn Jr.

Speaking of pick 40, I have seen a lot of Sidney Rice and have been very impressed with him, do you not like him or do you just think he will be gone by number 40?

This is what I do not get about the love for Ginn. There are better WR's in this draft than Ginn IMO or who are just as good or are better all around aside from the ST ability. This draft is loaded with talent at WR.

Dwayne Bowe 6-2 4.5 (speed isnt everything at WR, playing football is)
Sidney Rice 6-4 4.5
Anthony Gonzalez 6-0 4.44
Jason Hill 6-1 4.32 (are you kidding me?) hows this for a steal?
David Clowney 6-0 4.36
Johnnie Lee Higgins 6-0 4.48
Brandon Myles 6-1 4.45
Yamon Figurs 5-11 4.30 Rising on my Fox sports list from 212.

WR's are a dime a dozen and where great value can be found in later rounds. WR's in the first rounds are huge risks to injury and attitude probs. This is how I put Ginn. Great talent, but very risky that high when the field is so full of very viable candidates just to name a few.

Nice post, very informative, but here’s some differing thoughts:

Good points, well made. Are you Irish, BTW?

Allow me to respond.

1) Quinn over Russell. I like Quinn and feel he is the only one of the two the Dolphins have a shot. As such, I hope the Dolphins get him. However, I disagree with your assesment of Russell. Russell’s coaches noted that he was one of the hardest working players on the team for the last two, constantly putting extra time in sudying film and breaking down opponents. He also consistently put in extra work with his WRs after practice. I think you are putting too much emphasis on his weight room work or lack thereof. He does not need to get stronger like a Brady Quinn may have needed. Two key areas where Russell is better than Quinn are arm strength and accuracy. As you stated, Russell has a much stronger arm than Quinn. While the need to throw the ball 80 yards is rare, the additional arm strength does have value in throwing deep outs and putting touch on longer passes. Russell is aldo more accurate than Quinn throwing from the pocket AND on the move. Look at how accurate Russell is thowing downfield while on the move. Even moving to his left he is accurate throwing 40 yards downfield. There are nuerous examples of this. One other key point is look how many times Russell led his team from behind against quality opponents, victories on the road over top ten teams such as Alabama in ’05 and Tennessee and Arkansas in ’06. Home wins over Auburn and Florida in ’05. Not to mention the blowout of ND in ’06. IMHO, Russell is a better QB today and has a much higher ceiling than Quinn ( I still like Quinn). Russell should be the first pick though and the Phins will have no shot at him.

With respect, Russell's coaches aren't likely to come out and say that he has a poor work ethic. I think that, whilst he may well do the film study, to ignore the weight work shows a lack of self discipline. In my book, you do something, you do it all. Quinn does it all. He hasn't got the arm, but he has the body and he does the film work and the extra catching with Rhema McKnight and Samardzjia, etc. For Brady to not match up to Russell in terms of arm strength is no issue. Passers from Otto Graham to Dan Marino and all points in between haven't matched up to Russell in arm strength.

Whilst Russell's career completion % is a little higher, when you break down the past 2 years, they are utterly comparable and Quinn is knocked down for his freshman year where he was thrown to the fire. 69 touchdowns to 14 picks over the past two years would say different for Quinn's accuracy and I have huge issues saying that Russell is more accurate. His performances have been inflated by the system and by the fact that he's had Dwayne Bowe, Buster Davis - both top 40 picks - and early Doucet, a likely 1st rounder next year, to aim at.

Look at the games in 2005, primarily against Florida and Arkansas where he made clumsy decisions. I look for progress year on year, but he was doing the same thing in 2004 and again in 2006 - Tennessee and Fresno State, as examples.

As for Russell beating superior teams, he had a superior team to Quinn. In another thread a while back, I showed just who Quinn had beaten and how, dispelling this theory that he can't win the big one. Hell, if not for a ridiculously beautiful touch pass by Matt Leinart, he'd have beaten USC.

I'll answer the rest in a minute as I'm logging off. Lap top is acting funny!

[/QUOTE]

Now to comment on Boom's top 15. I hold that it is easier to be critical than to put yourself and your knowledge out there and I also know Boom is a pimp for Ginn so........what i have said about Ginn is foregone conclusion as far as I am concerned.

Ginn would never make my top 15 because regardless of what anyone says about Ginns past, he has an injury problem or he would not be waiting so long to run. Ginn is one dimentional in many aspects of the game of football. He is lightning fast but many WR's have been that way and do not make it as big as projected. WR's are just risky overall. Not to say Ginn wont be a great player, but the Miami Dolphins do not need this guy as there #9 pick. Its just that simple.

OK, now Laron Landry not being smart. Right after mentioning his great instincts. What? forget about that notion.

Jemarcus Russell I just saw on NFL Network where Russel is moving around in the pocket and lays the ball right on target over the top of defenders on borken plays. This is the sign of greatness right there. Mayock compared him to John Elway except with the size and strength and the "flick of the wrist" long ball. To have Jemarcus Russell at 15 is just bad. Sorry Boom. Jemarcus Russell showed Brady Quinn who was the better QB in head to head and I dont want to hear about better defense yadda yadda yadda........you have to go against what you go against and Russell showed better all around reads and touch and moxy. I like Quinn alot though because if he has the talent around him, he will do the leadership job just fine. I would have Quinn around 5 or 6 and Russell at 2 behind Calvin Johnson.

Peterson is a good RB and great kid. I just wouldnt put him in the Hall of Fame right now.

More after I read it over again.

No worries.

The Russell thing is a personal issue. I just don't buy that he's the #1 pick based on beating an average Irish team and throwing a few lasers in shorts and a t-shirt, when you weigh up the mistakes in his game and the work ethic.

You know, I can take a guy who's ****y or who's a bit different. But what I can't abide is a guy who turns up to the biggest job interview in his life looking the way he did. That turned me right off. And Lane Kiffin was right the other day at the league meetings when he said that Russell had a great arm, but in reality, how often do you throw it 70 yards? Twice a game?

As for Teddy, if he's running 4.37's at 85%, then the time is no issue. In fact really the time is no issue anyway, because if scouts don't see how quick he is on tape, then they have no business scouting in the 1st place.
so 4.37 at 85% what about 100% maybe sub 4.3?

I agree with Willis. I agree with the rest of the bunch and the comments I found interesting. Carriker has been rising but I wonder if he should be rated that high. But who am i to say differently? You do what you do at the next level and show it then.

Im still baffled about Russell. I think the guy has progressed this season just fine and I watched him a few times a few years ago and then this past year. He seems ready to lead the offense down the field progressively just fine. And I have seen him make big plays to come back and win under great pressure but make it look easy. Russell is going to be a great QB earlier than most in there careers because of the athletic ability and size. There is nothing wrong with him upstairs IMO. Everything else is fine generally.

Good stuff Boomer.

And if I was to take it to 20, my next 5 would be:

16. Chis Houston
17. Levi Brown
18. Jarvis Moss
19. Robert Meacham
20. Alan Branch

This may just be me but I think Joe Staley's better than Levi Brown at least in terms of upside.

3. Brady Quinn.
Not buying any of the nonsense that has surrounded his draft 'off-season'. A brilliant leader of men, as hard working off the field as he is good on it. From diet to tape study, from weight room work, to finding sports that compliment his ability – his work with Zbikowski as a boxer for example. If Miami ended up with him, it'd be a happy day in the Clancy house. I think he's the sort of player that you win Superbowls with and I'm certain that Cam views him as the sort of player that he can work with for a decade and build Miami into something dominant.

Agreed 100%.

7. Ted Ginn Jr.
This might be considered high, but this is a legitimate 4.2 forty guy, who can catch, who hasn't gotten close to scraping the ceiling of his talent. I’ve said it for ages, but his x-factor ability on offense, to dominate that strong side of the field and to absolutely have to be accounted for on every play, makes him so valuable. And we haven’t even talked return game. An offensive guru like Cam should be able to get him the ball as a WR as the Z, in the slot, on reverses, middle screens, you could line him up as a back or even as a run/pass option at QB. AND he can play some corner as well if need be. Has the work ethic and mentality to dominate.

I suppose Ginn would qualify at this spot if he's healthy. Maybe it's the sour taste of Yatil Green in my mouth but until he shows he's fully healthy before the draft, I have my reservations.

Joe Staley didnt even know his correct blocking assignment in the Senior Bowl, then turned around and did it again. This can be blamed on the coaching in the game but Staley didnt prove that he was better than Brown at all. This is crap being brought on by people who do not correctly break down on a game to game basis and competition.

I would compare the levi Brown vs. Joe Staley at LT to the Vince Young vs. Jay Cutler at QB last year. Alot being said about one over the other without any regard to what they actually did or didnt do in college and just looking at potential and athletic ability compared to competition and what you actually accomplished.

thanks for that...i have a very simliar board, myself...our top 6 are identical.

i just would always put the playmaking DE over the playmaking WR in the case of Ginn, Jr. and Adams.

i'm going to send this to my draft guru friends and see what they say. i'm sure they will all be impressed, as i am.

Back
Top Bottom