Boston: Here is What It Comes Down To | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boston: Here is What It Comes Down To

infiltrateib

TV Doctor
Reaction score
We've all read the stories. Boston keeps girls in his room. He won't work out with the strength coach. Everyone hypothesizes that he's doing HGH or juicing.

Let me put it on the line: draft picks cost, well, draft picks. It takes a 2nd round draft pick to get someone of a 2nd round caliber. The pluses to the Boston deal (as I've heard it) are that we have very little risk and do not give up compensation to SD equal to his worth. The draft pick we give up will not be commensurate with his talent level. This is always a good thing. Free Agency with VET MINIMUM/INCENTIVE (from what I've heard) is the best way to get players "for nothing." And with Ricky and Chambers, I don't see his numbers getting too out of hand that we have to pay him 5m/year.

Boston is ~245 and runs a ~4.4. This makes him a tall Ricky as a wideout. At the #20 spot we do NOT have a shot at a guy with those sorts of stats. He's younger than Chris Chambers and incredibly talented.

Now, let's assess the risk. People seem to think the Miami Dolphins will allow cancers to develop in the locker room. I remember a guy named Daryl Gardener that sheds a little light on that subject. If the deal is really so incentive-based, we're talking about a stock that costs us very little and has the possibility of jumping 10x the strike price. In my business, you jump on these opportunities. Think of who we would/could get with a 3rd-6th rounder. The odds are that it wouldn't be a David Boston. IF the contract rumors are right, DAVID BOSTON assumes the risk of DAVID BOSTON. We can cut him with very little penalty. This is an ideal situation. A lot of people say DB is motivated by money. Well, losing millions because you want to be a primadonna is certainly under that category. I don't care what he's motivated by. It could all be for the love of beef jerky for all I care. He needs to perform and be at least a neutral locker room presence. And hey, if he doesn't or he's not, we get rid of him. It's really an amazing opportunity when a player puts the risk of bad behavior AND poor performance on himself.

What's really happening here is magic. It's magic because we've found a bargain-basement seller that wants to get rid of a commodity just because they have personal issues. It's like a guy who doesn't like the color of his Porsche so he'll unload it for peanuts. They've had personal problems and they are taking quite a hit to unload him. The point is Sullivan was the catalyst (I expect) for Boston's 1600+ season. Boston likes him. He likes Boston. We can't really go wrong. Boston is already willing to take a paycut and restructure for us with clauses that ensure he's a good soldier.

The logline of this story is (if the contract rumors are correct): James McKnight replaced by a 240lb physical freak who can run a 4.4 and is only paid as well as he plays. Who cares if Eric Moulds is better?

[EDIT: In addition, Boston doesn't yet know what it's like to WIN. Players complain less when they're winning. And another knock on him is that he's only good for 4-5 big plays a game. Are you kidding me? As a #2 WR, 4-5 big plays a game from him with a running team like ours would be outstanding. He's got the size, speed, and potential to make opposing teams put 2 men on him. That's 1 less on Chambers and/or 1 less in the box for Ricky. And if they don't double DB, they're probably going to get burned. I like that situation. Ricky, Chambers, Boston, McMichael, Konrad... who do you cover?]

thats IF he agrees to all the requirements we're gonna give him: working out with the team, no personal trainer, etc etc

i think we're gonna have to meet somewhere in the middle, cuz i dont think boston is giving up his personal trainer...

Originally posted by Atila
thats IF he agrees to all the requirements we're gonna give him: working out with the team, no personal trainer, etc etc

i think we're gonna have to meet somewhere in the middle, cuz i dont think boston is giving up his personal trainer...

Well, I think he's going to have to participate with all team training. If he wants to keep a trainer on the side, fine, but participating in team activities is part and parcel of the entire attitudinal changes he has to make.

How do you think he'll fit in with JT / Chester / Rickey and some of the other physical freaks we have here? This Dolphin locker room cares about straight Ballers, ie guys who can come and play. If rickey was able to shed some of his loner ability with how close this team seems to be, maybe DB will as well (especially with sullivan here).

This is a tremendous upside move, much like Seau was. It is nice that Miami has a good working relationship with the chargers to make a deal like this happen. IMHO.

Gator

big mac coming from SD may help DB if/when he gets here.

i agree with the intial post, this deal is all upside for the fins, no risk whatsoever. i, for one, am glad they are playing it this way. it seems like DB wants to be here with coach sullivan, thats a good sign already.

He's got to get off whatever crap it is he's taking. You never know how crap you put in your body will effect your mind. Probably wouldn't hurt him at all to take some of Ricky's Paxil. He's got to have a big turnaround in attitude. I'm all for the signing because of what he can add, but I'm being realistic in saying they'll pull a Daryl Gardner on his azz if he doesn't straighten up.

Lets just hope who's ever at QB can get him the ball. I pray Feely can throw the long ball but from what I've heard he missing the touch. Maybe, he just needs more reps and experience.

Originally posted by FrankTheTank
Lets just hope who's ever at QB can get him the ball. I pray Feely can throw the long ball but from what I've heard he missing the touch. Maybe, he just needs more reps and experience.

I've read that Feeley throws a fine long ball and has a better arm than Fiedler (I know, thats not saying much). We're going to just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom