Bottom line.....Are we better off? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bottom line.....Are we better off?

With all the changes...will the defense be.....?????

• Better?

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Worse?

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Same?(which aint good)

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
Here's the bottom line......we traded;
Mixon and Brommell for Jay Williams and Rob Burnett,
Daryl Gardener for Larry Chester/Webster/Centers, and we traded Brian Walker for Arturo Freeman.....Are we better off?

I know that's an impossible question to answer at this point but, what do you guys think when it's laid out just like this?

It's really hard to tell.....I think Williams/Burnett are = to Mixon/Brommell, maybe even better, if Burnett finds new life here....I think a healthy and happy DG is heads and shoulders above LC....but LC is definately an improvement over a DG who can't and hasn't played a full season in two years. He's a big strong guy who can take up space in the middle so that Zach can work his magic and that's all he'll be asked to do.

And I think Freeman will be better than Walker. Arturo is ready.

Over-all I think, this defense could be improved this year.

Last edited:
IMHO the Phins will be better off in the long run. Atleast it has all been done BEFORE camp started.

With all the house cleanin' they've been doing, I don't see how the Phins can't be better than last year. But just in case, I got a big bag o' coals to rake some players across if needed.:evil:

With Mixon, Bromell, Gardner, Walker...etc Miami never got past the 2nd round of the playoffs. And lost in the 1st round last year. How can we be worse off? We weren't winning anything with the guys we had last year! It's good to mix things up.

I think we're better off... DG was becoming a cancer, and consistantly an injury risk... Williams is no DG (when/if healthy), but he is a team player, with no immediate injury concerns. Burnett should/could be a huge impact player...if nothing else he brings TONS of enthusiasm to the D.
Chester is a human wall, and while not nearly as quick as DG was (when/if healthy)... he should plug the line nicely. Freeman has the potential (God, I hate that word) to be as good, if not better than Walker... just has a few kinks to iron out...
All in all... it's been an improvement... IF (and that's a HUGE if) we can latch onto someone like Sam Adams, we'll be a defensive monster!

We were so close to going all the way last two years! The changes really started when we let Trace Armstrong go. Now DG is gone. We are obviously weak along the D-line - I think that our only hope is if we can get Sam Adams considering that there are no good pass rushers available. Our key player is Jayson Taylor, our only decent pass rusher. Our depth at linebacker is poor and saftey too. I hope to god that Williams can keep his head together because if he can't this year could be a disaster.

Originally posted by steve_t
We were so close to going all the way last two years! The changes really started when we let Trace Armstrong go. Now DG is gone. We are obviously weak along the D-line - I think that our only hope is if we can get Sam Adams considering that there are no good pass rushers available. Our key player is Jayson Taylor, our only decent pass rusher. Our depth at linebacker is poor and saftey too. I hope to god that Williams can keep his head together because if he can't this year could be a disaster.

I think you totally underestimate the talent we still have on the team..DG hasn't finished a season with us the last to 2 years.. Chester is very good and if you look at our game against Carolina,,we often used two guys to take him out and he actually won a lot of those battles..We now have 2 men who have played defensive end period.
Auturo played a lot last year...he's ready..Our team is very solid...plus if we need someone preseason will let us know and I'm sure the org will go after them...Teams do have to cut players and there maybe surprises by the time the season starts...so at this point I wouldn't worry about anything.

Originally posted by steve_t
I hope to god that Williams can keep his head together because if he can't this year could be a disaster.

What Williams are you talking about, Jay or Ricky, I assume you mean Ricky but we ARE talking about the D, so I am not 100% sure.
If you are talking about RW, why would you be worried about HIM keeping his head together? I know he's had his problems, but as far as I know, none of them has ever affected him on the field. As a matter of fact, playing the game has always been his escape from himself. That's where he says he feels he truly belongs, and being the center piece of the offense doesn't hurt either.
He's going to have a breakout season, mark my words.:D

We are better off for the simple fact that guys like Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, and Sam Madison wanted him gone. When you go against leaders of that caliber, and keep a guy who doesn't work, it only brings the morale of the team down.

Rob Burnett will be the Trace Armstrong of 2002, and Williams will be our Kenny Mixon.

I have no doubt we will be just fine.

DE Burnett = Veteran leader w/ Super Bowl ring. Formerly the best all-around DE in the game. Epic battles with former All-Pro Leon Searcy. Pound-for-pound, one of the strongest players around. Can still get it done. Had 10.5 sacks in 2000. Can play insideNumerous injuries last doomed him from start in 2001.

DE Williams = Intense, hard-working veteran w/ Super Bowl ring. Strong against the run. Had 6 sacks in 2000. Can play inside.

DT Larry Chester = Stout run-stopper who takes up blockers. Not big, but exremely strong. Benches around 700 lbs. 26 yrs old. Watch him work:

S Arturo Freeman = Quicker/faster than Brian Walker. Smaller, not as big a hitter. But good range. Good hands.

I voted that we are worse off. Before Gardener was dumped I would have slightly voted for improved. I had hoped that Gardener would have filled a Howie Long-like role of an end who would rotate to tackle.
Now going posistion by posistion
DE-Much worse off. I liked Mixon, I do not have a high opinion of Burnett(I felt basicly Peter Boulware wade him look a lot better than we was), and Williams I have not positive feel for.
DT-About even. Chester will help a lot. However if Gardener was around to rotate 25% of the time with Bowens abd Chester, the tackle posistion would be much improved.
LB-same
CB-same
S=Weaker only because a body had to go.
Nickle-possibly weaker, Cousin showed some good play last year.

So really for the defense to be better the younger and recently promoted players will have to show improvement(Greenwood and Freeman definitely will). Also some of the questionable players will need to answer.

Back
Top Bottom