Brad Johnson To Miami? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brad Johnson To Miami?

Den54

Punk Exterminator
Reaction score
The rumour mill is churning again. I heard earlier on a Tampa station WDAE that talks have begun between Bucs and Fins in regards to a trade that would send BJ to Miami for draft picks. They did'nt name the source only that it was very reliable. I'm just passing on what I heard and they have been talking about it pretty hot and heavy for the last 2 hours. It may be just a rumour I don't know, but Gruden sees Rob Johnson as another Rich Gannon only younger. I will believe it when I see it.

Brad Johnson is getting somewhere around 5 mil per year..I doubt the Dolphins trade for this guy......

With Jay Fiedler signing a new contract (along with Brad's hefty salary), I think this is just wishful thinking on the part of some Bucs fans. Makes no sense to trade for a $5 million starter and keep a $5 million backup. And if we decided to release Jay now, his cap hit would kill us.

Also, trading for such a big contract would also open us up for major second-guessing on the Fiedler deal. Our guys would not like that.

And finally, trading for Brad Johnson would surely create some uncertainty in the locker room. Certainly the players would lose trust in the coaches and the organization.

Originally posted by Dol_Fan5434
THere was this exact rumor like 2 months ago, this is old......

But this station is saying that their is CONTACT between the teams. The rumor from a few months ago wasn't even a rumor. It was something from Pro Football Talk that was just throwing out as a possibility down the road if Gruden were to jettison Brad Johnson. PFT didn't say their was contact. Everyone just assumed so.

I hope this is a rumor. Johnson is overrated and overpaid. Why would we throw away draft picks and hurt the cap just to get a guy who would cause a controversy.

From the other side, it appears from his sideline demeanor and comments subsequent to Monday night's game that Gruden is not at all pleased with Rob Johnson and Shaun King is currently third string, so it doesn't seem likely that Gruden would want to unload his only reliable quaterback.

I heard about a straight up swap B.Johnson for Fiedler..would make sense since theyu have very similar cap numbers..Fiedler would join the QB race in TB and Johnson is one of Norv's favourites..however this is a rumor..i don't know what to do with it since the DG release , which i was sure was just a rumor..YA never know :rolleyes:

I don't think such a deal would be wise THIS YEAR. Right now, it's too late to make a deal. Each QB has spent months getting adjusted to his receivers and learning a brand new (complicated) offense.

If it went down tomorrow, Tampa Bay would be okay because they have Rob Johnson and Shaun King. So they'd have two proven QBs to run the show if Fiedler couldn't start right away. Miami would have Ray Lucas, who could be good or bad, and a rookie who cannot play this year.

This deal will not happen this year for sure. Next year may be different. But I can't see it happening then either. Not with us being so close to the cap.

If we traded Jay we'd have to eat his cap bonus numbers for this year and the rest of his bonus next year.

Why would we do such a thing for a guy with a losing career record, when we have a guy with a very good career record?

I'd rather have Brad Johnson if I kew we'd have Norv for another few years or so.

But right now I can't say this would make alot of since other than to appease some fans.

ERROR: Traded players have all remaining amortization accelerated into the League Year of the trade. Thus, if Fiedler were to be traded this season, his cap number would increase from $1.325 million to $4 million. If Fielder were to be released, his cap number would fall to $800,000 in 2002 and $3.2 million in 2003( a slight increase)

Originally posted by Miamian
From the other side, it appears from his sideline demeanor and comments subsequent to Monday night's game that Gruden is not at all pleased with Rob Johnson and Shaun King is currently third string, so it doesn't seem likely that Gruden would want to unload his only reliable quaterback.

yeah i watched the tape of the game again and i read grudens lips when he was taking to RJ on the sideline. he was telling him something in detail and then i read" dont you F- - -ing do that again!"

Back
Top Bottom