Brandon Jones | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Jones

Damn, his tape is Great! He looks like he has amazing instincts in the run-game. He would be amazing in the swiss-army-knife role that Minkah didnt want.
We play and have drafted for a very different kind of defense. The true Free Safety is not a part of what we do. We're going to wind up having to cut a player that in past years we'd kill to have. How many DBs do we have now?!?
Not complaining, cuz the guys that make this roster will be killers.

BJ just came off of shoulder surgery for a torn labrum in his right shoulder in January at the end of the season which nobody even knew was that bad. He probably played through some of the season with it which goes to his toughness. He seemed like a gametime decision much of his senior season but I guess you could make an argument he's not that injury prone as he was consistently around without doubt the other 3 seasons before his nagging shoulder injury. He didn't want to miss his senior season for his team (especially since our secondary was absolutely decimated at times this season). I cant really recall

I'm not sure I'd call him small at 6'-6'1 205. He can put on weight if needed, we just need them lighter and faster in the Big 12 to keep up with all the speed. I also imagine seeing him being put into a Nickelback type role or something versatile and not specifically a safety type role so I would take that into consideration when imagining your depth chart. I'm not sure how the fins run their defense but I bet they fell in love with seeing BJ play everywhere from up at the line blitzing, run supporting, pass rushing, all the way back to 2nd deepest safety.

If you are thinking this kid could be a great special teams player with that closing speed, you'd be absolutely right. BJ freshman year he came in and blocked 2 punts in back to back games and also had a special teams safety. Everyone knew he was special when he would come in and make plays all over the place on all the special teams. They took him off special teams since he became the starting safety the next 3 years. I think he will be an instant impact ST player for the fins if nothing else. However, I think he isn't a starting option as a returner. Pretty reliable and good but nothing spectacular as a returner. He'd excel on Kick, PR, and Punt teams.

Here's a fantastic highlight video of him. You cant help but notice his overall speed and how he closes like a missile. He's very decisive in the run game. Hopefully the link works, I can only find it through facebook.

Wow he is fast and can tackle.
My impression is small simmons :)

Love that you made the time to join the site and give us input on this dude! Cant wait for him to take over one of those safety spots

I think his best position would be a NB but honestly I'd say SS just because his ability to play closer to the line with his closing speed and good tackling. Also because he is stronger in run support than pass, however, I do think he could develop and become very good against the pass whether zone or man. We just played an unorthodox style defense and play calling didnt exactly put players into their strengths so it's really hard to tell how good he could be. I just know he has everything you need physically to be a star.

I think his best position would be a NB but honestly I'd say SS just because his ability to play closer to the line with his closing speed and good tackling. Also because he is stronger in run support than pass, however, I do think he could develop and become very good against the pass whether zone or man. We just played an unorthodox style defense and play calling didnt exactly put players into their strengths so it's really hard to tell how good he could be. I just know he has everything you need physically to be a star.
Yeah I agree with Brandon Jones. This guy will probably start week 1 unless Steven Parker shows out in training camp. Who by the way I like and we should definitely keep him on the roster. He had one of the highest PFF grades on our team. Anyway does this mean that If Brandon Jones starts week 1 then that will bump Eric Rowe over to start at FS? Because I feel like Eric Rowe is more of a SS.

I give this coaching staff some benefit of a doubt regarding defensive backs. They have some different priorities than I do. For example, I liked the Utah cornerback Jalen Davis and thought he might be with the Dolphins for many years. But once this regime arrived they phased out Davis almost immediately and got rid of him. Some of the guys they used instead were intriguing.

Brandon Jones was actually a 4 star recruit, not 5 star. I keep those lists for reference purposes. But he was a rather high 4 star, generally rated in the 50th range nationally. If I remember correctly he was 5 star early in the process, then demoted somewhat in the late going. That is not uncommon. Often the early number is remembered within the fanbase even if it changes late.

I have to say I was rooting for a different player. I wanted the Dolphins to take Davion Taylor from Colorado. He's a bigger better athlete with much longer arms and greater versatility. Taylor often reminds me of Reshad Jones, both for the good and the bad.

However, I concede I'm often biased to the Pac 12. Jones is obviously more of a cerebral player while Taylor is the specimen and the thumper.

I give this coaching staff some benefit of a doubt regarding defensive backs. They have some different priorities than I do. For example, I liked the Utah cornerback Jalen Davis and thought he might be with the Dolphins for many years. But once this regime arrived they phased out Davis almost immediately and got rid of him. Some of the guys they used instead were intriguing.

Brandon Jones was actually a 4 star recruit, not 5 star. I keep those lists for reference purposes. But he was a rather high 4 star, generally rated in the 50th range nationally. If I remember correctly he was 5 star early in the process, then demoted somewhat in the late going. That is not uncommon. Often the early number is remembered within the fanbase even if it changes late.

I have to say I was rooting for a different player. I wanted the Dolphins to take Davion Taylor from Colorado. He's a bigger better athlete with much longer arms and greater versatility. Taylor often reminds me of Reshad Jones, both for the good and the bad.

However, I concede I'm often biased to the Pac 12. Jones is obviously more of a cerebral player while Taylor is the specimen and the thumper.

Jones is a better player than Taylor. Taylor is definitely like Reshad not only physically but mentally as well.

Jones is amazing at communicating and getting people lined. Reminds me of Renaldo Hill cerebrally and the closing speed of Chris Clemons from a few years ago.

When I look at Jones I see a Mr. Football type who does everything on the football field really well (including special teams), but is ultimately limited by his 5'11" & 198 lbs frame and 30 inch arms. And the fact that his speed, while good, is not Chris Clemons good.

I think Renaldo Hill is an apt comparison. Actually when I looked at him it was like an eerie replica of Isa Abdul-Quddus.

I for one was very happy with the pick. I didnt think he would be there in the 5th. To get him then was great.

@\Hookem/

I saw you call him 6', almost 6' 1", but looking him up it looks like he measured 5' 11"...? Not a HUGE difference, but would be nice if he was a little taller. Also CK mentioned he has small arms, which I didnt realize til now, but theyre a little shorter thn Ashtyn Davis', who I was concerned w/ his tackling, but doesnt seem to be an issue with Jones

When I look at Jones I see a Mr. Football type who does everything on the football field really well (including special teams), but is ultimately limited by his 5'11" & 198 lbs frame and 30 inch arms. And the fact that his speed, while good, is not Chris Clemons good.

I think Renaldo Hill is an apt comparison. Actually when I looked at him it was like an eerie replica of Isa Abdul-Quddus.

In terms of Clemons speed, I am moreso talking about his ability to close on defenders. His acceleration is fantastic, which is one of the reasons he was a decent punt returner.

Back
Top Bottom