Brandon Jones | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Jones

I think he's just always running around there at full speed or pretty close to it, which is great. But when he tries to reach for that extra gear, I don't think it's there.

There were references that Brandon Jones was the top rated safety recruit. That puzzled me because I didn't remember it that way. I follow those lists closely.

I looked it up today. Rivals had him 5th. ESPN had him 2nd. 247 had him 1st. That caused my confusion. I always rely on Rivals and keep the Rivals lists because they have been around the longest and their old ratings have been available so long, so it's a 1 on 1 comparison from year to year in terms of where each school was ranked, etc. ESPN has become more valuable recently because they include the high school SPARQ testing -- if any -- in their recruit bio link.

Regardless, this pick didn't thrill me from a physical standpoint. A slight guy with short arms and small hands is going to need to be extra special everywhere else. Otherwise I see lots of diving and missing.

I trust this regime to find more obscure defensive backs. That's why I hoped the 70th pick would have been another one to bolster the physical aspect of the roster, similar to the Raekwon Davis pick. The Dolphins have too many slight finesse linebackers. It seemed like a perfect opportunity to finally add a modern search and destroy type like Davion Taylor. Everyone thinks he's a major work in progress. But he did have 7 pass breakups last season. That is a huge number and typically translates well to the NFL

Here is a summary of Taylor from PFF:

ERIC EAGER — LB DAVION TAYLOR, COLORADO
This one is a bit out there, but we did put him in the first round of both of our analytics mocks for a few reasons. Firstly, his measurables are pretty darn good for an off-the-ball linebacker, where he tested out with a 4.49 in the 40-yard dash and produced a 35-inch vertical leap. Our college-to-pro projection system likes him in coverage and as a blitzer, and our text analytics work has his two closest comps as Devin White and Deion Jones.

I'm not a big Rivals fan myself, they just aren't considered by the majority to be as accurate as 247. Albeit one bases their rankings a little more off production and readiness and the other more off potential and athleticism so its a personal choice. Both definitely better than ESPN. Brandon Jones had a bad injury late in his high school career which is why we sank some in the ranks naturally, yet still finished very high.

Brandon Jones is talented enough regardless of shorter arms for it to make any difference. The issue isn't going to be his physical capability, I can guarantee you that. He needs a coach that can make it click. Smart kid and hard worker, just needs to be put into the right role and coached well to hit his peak which is high. We all see too often, players in every position succeed at a pro bowl level or higher without having all the tangibles. I don't buy that as a reason this kid can't succeed as much as the next.

I used to follow HS hoops recruiting quite closely and in that area Rivals was not looked at as having much credibility.

Their lists were always off compared to 24/7 and ESPN and compared to reality.

And Football is so much harder to cover with many more players to try to see without the benefit of AAU type hoops tournaments that brings tons of players to one place.

Hey yall, wanted to stop by and get your take on how Brandon is doing this year.

As a rookie, he’s already exceeded my expectations with the play time and stats he’s accrued. I mentioned him being a great tackler but also lacking ball skills and that seems to reflect in his stats thus far. Yet, still seems to be very much an asset but I haven’t been able to watch many fins games. I’m sure glad to see them playing with effort and improving. Perhaps bringing back the defense of old!

Anyways, I would appreciate your take on BJones in the current and future potential if you would so kindly update me.

Go fins!

Hey yall, wanted to stop by and get your take on how Brandon is doing this year.

As a rookie, he’s already exceeded my expectations with the play time and stats he’s accrued. I mentioned him being a great tackler but also lacking ball skills and that seems to reflect in his stats thus far. Yet, still seems to be very much an asset but I haven’t been able to watch many fins games. I’m sure glad to see them playing with effort and improving. Perhaps bringing back the defense of old!

Anyways, I would appreciate your take on BJones in the current and future potential if you would so kindly update me.

Go fins!

I think he's started every game. With regards to his performance I admittedly don't recall seeing much of him which could be considered a good thing.

He did miss a chance for a pick 6 against the Jets but if he continues to be in the right place those things will come.

Back
Top Bottom