Braylon Sanders | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Sanders

It's a crowded WR battle, but Sanders is the best deep threat after Hill and Waddle.

Why does this matter? Miami wants to force single-high as often as possible, but if Hill and Waddle produce chunk plays at a high rate, teams will shift to two-high looks. Even if Miami is eating them up on the ground or with underneath stuff, the vast majority of teams will try to prevent the big play and hope they can force a field goal or a mistake.

In this scenario, you don't want to waste Hill and Waddle on deep stuff very often. You want them running routes where they have a real shot to catch and run vs two-high.

A legitimate third deep threat either takes advantage of the Safeties sucking up on Hill and Waddle on mid and underneath stuff, or it keeps those Safeties honest, giving Hill and Waddle more room in those areas.

Sanders is nowhere near as fast as Hill and Waddle, but his burst is real. The same burst that lets him make those nasty catches also allows him to consistently stack CB's.

He was one of 4 UDFA's I gave a real shot to make this stacked roster.
Great point. Was thinking earlier about how we would use Dagger concept, which usually have a slot running a vertical route with the sole purpose of clearing coverage for intermediate or short crossing routes. Since the slot is basically only a decoy, I would think we would ideally want both Waddle and Hill running the crossing routes, with someone else playing the slot.

I guess Wilson would be that player on most plays, but im not sure he has the type of speed that warrants as much attention, maybe Sanders solves this problem.

It's a crowded WR battle, but Sanders is the best deep threat after Hill and Waddle.

Why does this matter? Miami wants to force single-high as often as possible, but if Hill and Waddle produce chunk plays at a high rate, teams will shift to two-high looks. Even if Miami is eating them up on the ground or with underneath stuff, the vast majority of teams will try to prevent the big play and hope they can force a field goal or a mistake.

In this scenario, you don't want to waste Hill and Waddle on deep stuff very often. You want them running routes where they have a real shot to catch and run vs two-high.

A legitimate third deep threat either takes advantage of the Safeties sucking up on Hill and Waddle on mid and underneath stuff, or it keeps those Safeties honest, giving Hill and Waddle more room in those areas.

Sanders is nowhere near as fast as Hill and Waddle, but his burst is real. The same burst that lets him make those nasty catches also allows him to consistently stack CB's.

He was one of 4 UDFA's I gave a real shot to make this stacked roster.
Only thing I would point out is that the end of the WR room will almost certainly need to have good ST abilities. Not saying he doesn't. I just don't know.

With Wadds, Cheetah, Wilson, and Ezucanuseemenow I think we are good, barring injury.

We will obviously keep one or two more, but if anyone else emerges and becomes a player for us, it will be gravy, baby!

Good point - which of these WRs can contribute on ST?
Sherfield was SF's STs ace and was better on STs than Hollins was last season.
Cracraft was also on SF's STs, but wasn't a standout although reportedly is a hard worker.
Bowden has a diverse skill set and could be used as a punt returner.
Williams was used on 6 KRs last year, but I didn't see anything special out of him in that role.
Sanu was also used on KR (10) and PR (12) last season.
I assume the young guys like Sanders and Dedmon will contribute on STs.

IMO Sherfield is the only surefire standout STs contributor.

Also mattwaldman speaks about why he’s such a great deep threat, and it’s because he’s running his routes and thru the stem at full speed usually, which helps him a lot when and if he does make a move or jab or stutter, defenders break because they are so used to full speed routes.

Sherfield was SF's STs ace and was better on STs than Hollins was last season.
Cracraft was also on SF's STs, but wasn't a standout although reportedly is a hard worker.
Bowden has a diverse skill set and could be used as a punt returner.
Williams was used on 6 KRs last year, but I didn't see anything special out of him in that role.
Sanu was also used on KR (10) and PR (12) last season.
I assume the young guys like Sanders and Dedmon will contribute on STs.

IMO Sherfield is the only surefire standout STs contributor.
Sherfield has had over 600 ST snaps over the past 3 seasons. He’s had more tackles than Hollins in over 100 less ST snaps since they entered the league.

If ST’s is what they’re prioritizing w WR6, nobody compares to Scherfield’s experience there (unless we’re talking returners).

Sherfield has had over 600 ST snaps over the past 3 seasons. He’s had more tackles than Hollins in over 100 less ST snaps since they entered the league.

If ST’s is what they’re prioritizing w WR6, nobody compares to Scherfield’s experience there (unless we’re talking returners).
I guess we could live with Sherfield and Dedmon as the 5-6 receivers mainly for their ST value. That will leave us crossing fingers the rest make it to the PS but I doubt they all would. Preston Williams and Sanders in particular are rosterable for many teams.

I guess we could live with Sherfield and Dedmon as the 5-6 receivers mainly for their ST value. That will leave us crossing fingers the rest make it to the PS but I doubt they all would. Preston Williams and Sanders in particular are rosterable for many teams.
I think Sanders makes the team.

Tua was using Wilson a lot yesterday underneath, and then he also shows great control, and nice hand eye coordination on the deep TD

Love, love your observation. Wilson's signing was one of my favorites. After they signed Hill, I thought.....Wilson could feast in this offense with the attention teams will give to Hill and Waddle.

Back
Top Bottom