Break down of our teams needs... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Break down of our teams needs...

WvFinFan

Starter
Reaction score
QB: We need a franchise QB. We dont have one currently on the roster so we need to draft one early in Day 1. (Rodgers,Smith,Cambell,Walter, or Mcpherson...any of these guys i would be content with throughout the draft)

RB: I think we also need to address this on Day 1 but not so much the 1st round, its a deep class this year and we already have talented enough backs to fit into Linehans offense(I would LOVE to see JJ Arrington in a phin uni)

FB: No need to draft one, all we really need is a good blocking FB and we should have that and more in Sammy Morris

OL: We have a lot of "potential" on our OL but no real superstar. The thing is i dont think this years draft has any garantee's on the OL so we should take a chance on someone there on Day 2.

TE: If we can extend Randy's contract there is no real need hear. I also think Donald Lee could develop into a pretty solid NFL TE.

DL: I think we took care of this pretty well in the offseason. I just really wanted us to draft Vince Wilfork last year. He'da been an anchor for us for years. But i think were ok for a few here.

DE: I def. think we need to take a chance here sometime in the draft. Maybe not day one but maybe take a chance of a sleeper at this pos. in round 7 even.

LB: I actually think our LB needs an impact player to either step up or get drafted. We all know Pope could be that guy but i'm not sold at all yet.(one more guys i'd love to see is Kevin Burnett)

CB: Its kinda not lookin like Surtain will get traded before the draft. Either way though, with him or w/out him i think we have a pretty solid group of CB's. Will Poole was maybe the best overall pick in the draft last year in my opinion.

S: Another big area of need in my opinion. I want one of 4 guys: Thomas Davis, Brodney Pool, Josh Bullocks, or Marviel Underwood. Its lookin like they will go in that order with other S's in between.

So what do you guys think?

Nice analysis.

I think the problem with QB/RB is that we could use a franchise player in both categories but the question is -- who do we need right now?

It's no real secret that QB is more of an important position to fill than RB but personally I look at the QB class this year and don't see anyone worth taking so high. I'd take a David Greene, Andrew Walter, Ryan Fitzpatrick later on but I feel that this RB class is top heavy to the QB's in terms of that exclusive top 2% - Brown, Benson, Williams > Smith, Rodgers

LOL, my bad bro. I picked a good one to miss. Let me try that one real quick.

WR: I think we have a pretty solid recieving corps. But i would like to see one of these players drafted: Edwards, Courtney Roby, Chris Henry, or Issac West. You guys should read Issac Wests bio. I think he looks like an awesome sleeper.

I think we need a DT because our starters are returning from serious injuries and Zgonina may be traded.

We need OL: Center and Tackle

We need a third WR
We need a LB in this draft.

We all know we need QB and RB on the first day.

Alex Smith #2!

i dont agree with the Rb or Qb while its good to have a franchise QB Feely and corps will be fine, why get depth at RB we have 2 good but not great players there why add another sub par one

I havent heard a thing about Zgonina being traded in months. I hope it happens but i dont really think it will.

WvFinFan said:
QB: We need a franchise QB. We dont have one currently on the roster so we need to draft one early in Day 1. (Rodgers,Smith,Cambell,Walter, or Mcpherson...any of these guys i would be content with throughout the draft)

RB: I think we also need to address this on Day 1 but not so much the 1st round, its a deep class this year and we already have talented enough backs to fit into Linehans offense(I would LOVE to see JJ Arrington in a phin uni)

FB: No need to draft one, all we really need is a good blocking FB and we should have that and more in Sammy Morris

OL: We have a lot of "potential" on our OL but no real superstar. The thing is i dont think this years draft has any garantee's on the OL so we should take a chance on someone there on Day 2.

TE: If we can extend Randy's contract there is no real need hear. I also think Donald Lee could develop into a pretty solid NFL TE.

DL: I think we took care of this pretty well in the offseason. I just really wanted us to draft Vince Wilfork last year. He'da been an anchor for us for years. But i think were ok for a few here.

DE: I def. think we need to take a chance here sometime in the draft. Maybe not day one but maybe take a chance of a sleeper at this pos. in round 7 even.

LB: I actually think our LB needs an impact player to either step up or get drafted. We all know Pope could be that guy but i'm not sold at all yet.(one more guys i'd love to see is Kevin Burnett)

CB: Its kinda not lookin like Surtain will get traded before the draft. Either way though, with him or w/out him i think we have a pretty solid group of CB's. Will Poole was maybe the best overall pick in the draft last year in my opinion.

S: Another big area of need in my opinion. I want one of 4 guys: Thomas Davis, Brodney Pool, Josh Bullocks, or Marviel Underwood. Its lookin like they will go in that order with other S's in between.

Agreed.

QB: Feeley may turn out to be good but remember SD drafted Rivers to push Brees and that worked out nicely. Smith could do the same.
RB: Morris ran well despite injuries and bad line. Gordon's still got something to prove. Ricky's status is in the air but I think we're well covered here if he returns or not with a non-1st draft pick
FB: Really no need under Linehan's O.
WR: Chambers and Booker are good enough. Maybe draft Courtney Roby or another sleeper to push Thompson.
OL: I think we have enough Tackles (D-Mac, Carey, McDougle, Cook, St. Clair, Smith) though I'd like to see Wesley Britt or Rob Pettiti as undrafted FAs. Guards could use a little depth as does Center.
TE: Could use insurance in case McMike is gone or injured
DT: No need but maybe get one in the 7th round
DE: Definitely no need
LB: We have a good track record of LBs in the later rounds so I think we can pick one there and he'll turn out well.
CB: I hope Surtain stays. If not, hope Poole can take over.
S: Definitely need a ball hawking FS. Jones can handle the run, but we need someone in coverage.

As far as the QB need position. Feeley was getting better with the better line play last year at the end of the season. With Hudson on board and the FA pickups plus St. Clair coming in healthy this year I am expecting the Line play to be a lot better which will help the QB and RB play extensively. If Feeley doesnt get it done then there is Gus waiting with experience in the system already so I dont see QB as as big of a need as people wanting to grab a QB because we actually have a high pick.

OL See above. Expecting a lot more from them this year because of Hudson. I mean everyone was excited we got James last year but then the blocking schemes were so horrible that it even made him look horrible.

RB With the way Morris was running even with his nit pick injuries last year if the line improves and he is healthy he could be very servicable not to mention we get Gordon back when he has blocking proved he could be effective in St. Louis. So I dont think RB is as big of a need as some think. (not even gonna take into consideration the Ricky rumors) plus Minor has always been a good change of pace back and 3rd down back.

FB Linehan has usually ran a one back system so I feel this point is mute but in two back situations we have Morris blocking and also someone the defense has to worry about actually getting the ball on an up man hand off.

WR's Thompson is a good enough #3 reciever he just sucks as a #2 but with Booker filling in there and Chambers at #1 the top three recievers are pretty solid. If Boston comes back he brings and explosiveness that would greatly improve our group.

DL the FA pickups were a nice help to this unit but I agree picking up a good young tackle would be a good idea.

LB A good group but not sold on the backups yet. Although did love Aya's fire in the New England game last year.

DB's with or without Surtain with a new defensive scheme looks like were doing good at the CB position but could use some help and depth at Safety.

K wouldnt surprise me if we take a K late in the draft to push Mare who has had a couple of bad years (or maybe it was just one bad year since it seemed like last years season was long lol) after he got his payday.

So I would say our biggest needs are actually on Defense and with the number 2 overall I could see Nick trying to trade down even if we lose value according to the value chart in an attempt (my guess would be with Minnesota since it seems we trade with them a lot lol) and pick up DJ with their #8 (I think they have the #8 and #17 or something like that)

Take it for what it is worth but short term we dont (in my opinion) have any MAJOR holes to fill that we can fill with the #2 overall without reaching. So if we dont trade down I would expect that Saban simply takes whoever is rated highest as his best player available.

we need QB & RB. who we take first is obviously a contentious issue round here...

WR - we need a third WR.

OL - i'd leave LT till next year when there's a bumper crop. baas or wilkerson might be nice pick-ups for C.

DT - we need a young run stuffer.

LB - maybe a young developmental guy.

S - definite need.

First let me apologize. I picked your thread to play devil's advocate. I've seen alot of this. Sure it's all just general discussion. But alot of people seem to think they know this team's needs. It's not just you. Let me pose the question, "What the hell do we know?"

Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

WvFinFan said:

What good is this franchise QB? You mention a couple of names. Who are they? We've got a twelve year veteran currently on the roster. He joined this league in the seventh round of his draft class. The same team that drafted him in that seventh round took a QB as the 3rd OVERALL pick in that same draft. Yes, Heath Shuler is his name. Where's he at today? Selling insurance? We gave up a second round selection this year for a guy that got eight game starts last year. Why would you give up on him at this stage of the game for Heath Shuler?

Why would that second round scrub you suggest be better than the veterans we currently have on the roster?

WvFinFan said:

This is your most glaring disappointment of an obversation.... We don't know a damn thing about Lamar Gordon except that as soon as he was given the opportunity to carry the load for a team in the NFL he was injured. Result=not good.

Sammy Morris-Judging from Scott Linehan's history of running the ball (stretch-off tackle) Morris ain't the answer. Plain and simple, he's a fill in of a down hill runner. I'd love to have him carry the load as a fullback for us if we were running a circa 1982 wishbone offense.

WvFinFan said:

You got this much right. Except I'd carry it one step further. We don't need a fullback. We need an H-back. We've got two to fill the job on the roster (McMichael and Lee). Do we need a fullback for something other than special teams? I'd rather draft a linebacker for that purpose.

WvFinFan said:

IMO, this offensive line was doomed from the start in 2004. They were five guys just thrown together. So if it's like you say, they have "potential" why would you look to replace them in year two of their existance together? Their uncommon circumstance of familiarity wasn't aided by the fact that they were coached by the worst Offensive line coach in the league.

How do I refer to that as fact? Has the SOB got a job yet?

WvFinFan said:

Who was the starting TE of the Minnesota Vikings last year? The answer to that may tell you something about need of McMichael or a kid in the draft.

WvFinFan said:

When was any of that taken care of? We've got a dude with a chronic back problem in the NFL (Bowens). According to most analysts that's a career ender. The only other substantial DT is Chester and he's got his own injury problems. We picked up two DE's. They don't have the weight to play NT in a 34. They have not displayed the speed to rush the edge of a 43. Couple that with the possiblity of moving the top speed rushing DE in the league to the linebacker position and all I've got is questions.

So I ask again, when did we take care of this?

WvFinFan said:

One place that I can agree (if it matters at all). We picked up an underachiever (Spragan). We've got an highly paid, undersized Middle linebacker coupled with a coach that by all accounts would love to suit up the early eightys Giant linebackers once again. We've got two unprovens (Pope and Moore) and let's not forget the aged (not aging) veteran Junior Seau.

Don't know about you but I see matchup problems with any defense Saban chooses to run.

WvFinFan said:

Will Poole was the steal of the entire 2004 draft. Forget Surtain, he's gone.

WvFinFan said:

We better pray that Tebucky Jones can do it. He is the starting free safety.

WvFinFan said:

That's what I think. :D

ZOD said:
First let me apologize. I picked your thread to play devil's advocate. I've seen alot of this. Sure it's all just general discussion. But alot of people seem to think they know this team's needs. It's not just you. Let me pose the question, "What the hell do we know?"

Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

What good is this franchise QB? You mention a couple of names. Who are they? We've got a twelve year veteran currently on the roster. He joined this league in the seventh round of his draft class. The same team that drafted him in that seventh round took a QB as the 3rd OVERALL pick in that same draft. Yes, Heath Shuler is his name. Where's he at today? Selling insurance? We gave up a second round selection this year for a guy that got eight game starts last year. Why would you give up on him at this stage of the game for Heath Shuler?

Why would that second round scrub you suggest be better than the veterans we currently have on the roster?

This is your most glaring disappointment of an obversation.... We don't know a damn thing about Lamar Gordon except that as soon as he was given the opportunity to carry the load for a team in the NFL he was injured. Result=not good.

Sammy Morris-Judging from Scott Linehan's history of running the ball (stretch-off tackle) Morris ain't the answer. Plain and simple, he's a fill in of a down hill runner. I'd love to have him carry the load as a fullback for us if we were running a circa 1982 wishbone offense.

You got this much right. Except I'd carry it one step further. We don't need a fullback. We need an H-back. We've got two to fill the job on the roster (McMichael and Lee). Do we need a fullback for something other than special teams? I'd rather draft a linebacker for that purpose.

IMO, this offensive line was doomed from the start in 2004. They were five guys just thrown together. So if it's like you say, they have "potential" why would you look to replace them in year two of their existance together? Their uncommon circumstance of familiarity wasn't aided by the fact that they were coached by the worst Offensive line coach in the league.

How do I refer to that as fact? Has the SOB got a job yet?

Who was the starting TE of the Minnesota Vikings last year? The answer to that may tell you something about need of McMichael or a kid in the draft.

When was any of that taken care of? We've got a dude with a chronic back problem in the NFL (Bowens). According to most analysts that's a career ender. The only other substantial DT is Chester and he's got his own injury problems. We picked up two DE's. They don't have the weight to play NT in a 34. They have not displayed the speed to rush the edge of a 43. Couple that with the possiblity of moving the top speed rushing DE in the league to the linebacker position and all I've got is questions.

So I ask again, when did we take care of this?

One place that I can agree (if it matters at all). We picked up an underachiever (Spragan). We've got an highly paid, undersized Middle linebacker coupled with a coach that by all accounts would love to suit up the early eightys Giant linebackers once again. We've got two unprovens (Pope and Moore) and let's not forget the aged (not aging) veteran Junior Seau.

Don't know about you but I see matchup problems with any defense Saban chooses to run.

Will Poole was the steal of the entire 2004 draft. Forget Surtain, he's gone.

We better pray that Tebucky Jones can do it. He is the starting free safety.

That's what I think. :D

Thanks bro, i appreciate your reply.

Good breakdown. The order I would like to see is 1st Priority-QB. 2nd Priority-DL or LB, 3rd Priority-RB, 4th Priority-DL or LB, 5th Priority-OL. That takes care of all rounds. I have changed my mind several times this offseason regarding the first pick. Based on what I have heard about Linehans offense, I do believe that we need to take care of the QB situation, unless he has faith in AJ Feeley. I the staff believes through film study that AJ can lead this team, I would change the first priority to WR and take Braylon Edwards. The only reason I have RB so low on my list is the depth of talent in this draft. Also as was previously stated on another thread, we know absolutely nothing about Lamar Gordon. All these are just my opinions.

As far as the "what do we need more, QB or RB" question, the answer is RB. Figured on a #2 from KC for surtain a short rundown of the draft should be:

1 - RB
2 - QB
3 - WR

After round 3 its a toss-up, but If we take one of the "big 3" backs in the 1st, a QB in the second round, where everyone but Smith and Rogers should still be available, maybe campbell will be gone by the time they get down to our (KC's) 2nd round pick, then WR with the 3rd. Someone like Roscoe Parrish. Either that or switch it up and take Parrish in the 2nd and McPherson or Walters in the 3rd. Or go O-Line or DB and wait til 4 for a QB and grab LeFors (a personal favorite of mine) or Kyle Orton

Then I was thinking we could move that order down one round and take Derrick Johnson round 1, JJ Arrington Rnd 2 (or maybe Barber III), Parrish rnd 3 (unless McPherson or Walters or Frye drops), LeFors or Orton rnd 4, and go DB or O-Line "best available" at 5 and 7 (i think it's the 6th we don't have, if not, we don't have a 5th, i know its one of those two, just don't feel like looking right now)

Back
Top Bottom