Brent Smith Tears ACL in Knee...Out For Year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brent Smith Tears ACL in Knee...Out For Year

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Too bad. He mounted a good campaign to get his LT spot back, but probably will not see much football for the rest of his career now.

He tore it in his RIGHT knee this time...as opposed to the LEFT knee last year. Not to be cruel but this does make me glad that we pulled the trigger on moving Mark Dixon to LT because, if we counted on Smith this year we would all the sudden be facing the same situation as last year when Spriggs tore his ACL. I am not one that believes injuries are a freak matter of chance. I think injuries are directly related to how hard your body is being pushed and how you play the game. To me tearing his right ACL only shows that he's not a player that plays the game in a way to where he can stay injury free and keep it at a high level. If he started at LT for us it would only have been a matter of time before he injured something, IMO and that would cause some continuity problems along the line.

I'm wondering now however, what this means for our OL in terms of who gets kept. I think it may mean Anthony Cesario makes this team now. Or maybe we bring in a veteran...is John Fina still available and can he play RT?

This guy just has knack for injuries............I think that rookie German did an ok job..........You think Fina would come in for one year vet. minimum contract?

CK your analysis on injuries make no sense...Jerry Rice probably worked harder than anybody in football during the off season and you saw what happened to him..the hitting and pounding does take a toll on the body and a lot of times if your body is slightly out of position with that pounding and hard hitting, you can get hurt..way too many players who work hard on conditioning and strength training still end up getting hurt..Spriggs is still on this team and probably will be the backup Tackle..

It wasn't that big of a loss because Spriggs out played Smith but picking up another tackle doesn't sound bad...

Yes but you also notice that some players have a knack for staying completely injury free. It is because of two things in my opinion. Their bodies, and the way they play the game. Curtis Martin is a great example of the latter. He is a guy that does not take chances with his body on the field and has GREAT bodily awareness. When he's going to the ground he does little tiny things to pad himself, its really amazing but he stays injury free always pretty much.

Since Brent Smith hurt his left knee playing left tackle then hurt his right knee playing right tackle that tells me that something about the way he plays makes him dance on the edge of injury. Also, when you sustain a significant injury to one section of the body and you are forced to baby that part of the body, it puts more pressure on the rest of the body. This can really put things out of whack and you notice that other smaller and seemingly unrelated injuries begin to start popping up. This happened to Tim Bowens when he had surgery on one knee, then needed surgery on the other because he was taking pressure off the surgerically repaired knee and adding pressure to the other one.

Robert Edwards did not get cut from New England last year for anything having to do with his grotesquely injured knee. It was a nagging groin injury.

Same nagging groin injury thats bothering him this year while he says he still doesn't have the full range of motion back in his knee. Its no coincidence. Just like its no coincidence that Brent Smith got injured. His body couldn't take it. Pushed too hard and he's not careful enough, just doesn't have that bodily awareness and knack for keeping his body working right.

By the way Jerry Rice is a very bad example. Until he sustained an ACL injury for the first time, he was known as one of the most injury free players in the league. He was a Curtis Martin type example, and I suspect that since there is obviously some chance involved in taking serious injuries (ie someone just rolls up on your leg the wrong way), he was just in the league so long that it finally happened...just like I believe it will finally happen to Curtis Martin. Rice took a while to come back but I'm not surprised that he's stayed relatively injury free since the ACL, because he stayed relatively injury-free before it too. Its just part of his natural processes.

Brent Smith has been on this team for the last 4-5 years..last year was the first time he had threating injury...you didn''t address Rice I see..and he plays the game right in my opinion and still got hurt...Very few players make it though a season without some nagging injury..Our whole OL last was hurting and played..You just don't always know about the injuries unless they are so bad a player can't play.

Actually Brent Smith has taken injury before. Under Jimmy Johnson at one time he was slated to be given a starting job at guard, and then he took a bad injury and someone won it. Ask DNY about it.

Originally posted by minus
This guy just has knack for injuries............I think that rookie German did an ok job..........You think Fina would come in for one year vet. minimum contract?

what the hell !!! werent you guys listening to me!
ok...im taking it easy now......
but really, couldnt you see this coming from a thousand miles away? smell the railroad tracks........ stick a finger in the wind do anything!!! but dont tell me Brent Smith is better than Spriggs!
Spriggs has some beef to stay alive. although i didnt see him much at all.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. but yes German did impress. i hope wade is ok. he walked off the field. i think he has that calf deal workin..........wonder where cesario is? ow! :fire:

first off parrot head, have you ever played offensive line? its called the trenches for a reason! get down in it and tell me how it feels some time would you? bodies everywhere coming down on your limbs every play all day. RB's lay the pavement, they dont clear the path! bad comparison.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Actually Brent Smith has taken injury before. Under Jimmy Johnson at one time he was slated to be given a starting job at guard, and then he took a bad injury and someone won it. Ask DNY about it.

Season ending injuries CK,,season ending..until last year Brents been there thougout the season..he even took over for Webb when webb got hurt one year.

Originally posted by minus
It wasn't that big of a loss because Spriggs out played Smith but picking up another tackle doesn't sound bad...

you know damn well that Spielman is searching the waiver wire tuesday and already talking deals with other teams.

He took over for Webb for a grand total of I believe 5 games. The question coming out after Webb's departure was can Smith last a whole year. After the last two years the answer to that was obviously a resounding NO.

Back
Top Bottom