***brian Flores Super Thread*** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***brian Flores Super Thread***

I appreciate Flores the more I look into him. I think he would really be popular among the fan base based on his personality and character. Vast departure from Gase.

There's a video in which Flores was honored recently and gave a speech, along with several Patriots players coming to the podium and paying tribute to him. Maybe that video has been posted here. I haven't checked all the lengthy threads. But the way those planners spoke about Flores as a mentor as well as coach really stood out to me. Likewise the way Flores spoke about his autistic brother Christopher and how the family learned he was autistic. Very moving. Solid guy.

More than anything those Patriots players at the podium sounded like the type of guys the Dolphins had in my youth. Extremely articulate and impressive, and not the social media obsessed jerks that the Dolphins have drafted so frequently in recent years. Those '70s Dolphins were considered the smartest team in the league and recently that mantle belongs to the Patriots. I was hardly surprised they were the only team able to turn the tables on us in regard to special teams. Everyone here prefers to scream cheat cheat cheat but it is laughable to deny how incredibly smart and resourceful that team has been, and I'm convinced a large part of that is simply the type of person they look for in the scouting process.

If Brian Flores can take that priority and transfer it to the Dolphins' personnel department, then we win already in terms of foundation even if the results don't cooperate in the next season or two.

Thats exactly why I am so excited about Flores. Everyone wants the guy who can scream and yell and get in your face - like it's a gladiator match. What most posters don't understand is that wears off even if you are the greatest coach of all time. At some point players want to know you actually care about them and will be there for them. Thats the key in coaching and leading. Flores knows all facets of the game, but at the end of the day he can draw up the most intricate and complex designs but if the players don't get invested in winning FOR him and FOR each other, then it won't work. Flores may not be the mastermind Gase is, nor the organizational expert Philbin is, or the motivator that Dan Campbell or the late Tony S. was. The thing Flores is that he is a little bit of everything and BALANCED. He has a handle of all phases of the game and knows how to work with people smarter than him and guide that into a direction where it will benefit the team.

I'm probably the only Flores fan on this forum, but when I see a good coach, I will push for them as hard as I can. Flores isn't anything like Todd Bowles either. Todd Bowles has a huge ego and tells people to shut the **** up if they disagree with him. He's just more approachable and a nicer person than Gase was. If anything, Flores is similar to Belicheck, Nagy, and McVay in the regard that he wants to use football minds that are smarter than him around him, take their input and apply. He wants to collaborate and work as a team. He doesn't have any delusions of grandeur or think he's a genius. Its all about the team and making sure they succeed.

The best leaders are the ones who can admit they aren't the smart person in the room, and that its about surrounding themselves with smarter people and bringing the best out of each person to work together to a cohesive goal.

I'm not sure who their guy is, but whomever it is, they're covering their bases in case he says no. They're telling some people that it's Richard, and telling other people it's Flores. Whomever they pick, Darren Rizzi will know he was their last choice.

Thats exactly why I am so excited about Flores. Everyone wants the guy who can scream and yell and get in your face - like it's a gladiator match. What most posters don't understand is that wears off even if you are the greatest coach of all time. At some point players want to know you actually care about them and will be there for them. Thats the key in coaching and leading. Flores knows all facets of the game, but at the end of the day he can draw up the most intricate and complex designs but if the players don't get invested in winning FOR him and FOR each other, then it won't work. Flores may not be the mastermind Gase is, nor the organizational expert Philbin is, or the motivator that Dan Campbell or the late Tony S. was. The thing Flores is that he is a little bit of everything and BALANCED. He has a handle of all phases of the game and knows how to work with people smarter than him and guide that into a direction where it will benefit the team.

I'm probably the only Flores fan on this forum, but when I see a good coach, I will push for them as hard as I can. Flores isn't anything like Todd Bowles either. Todd Bowles has a huge ego and tells people to shut the **** up if they disagree with him. He's just more approachable and a nicer person than Gase was. If anything, Flores is similar to Belicheck, Nagy, and McVay in the regard that he wants to use football minds that are smarter than him around him, take their input and apply. He wants to collaborate and work as a team. He doesn't have any delusions of grandeur or think he's a genius. Its all about the team and making sure they succeed.

The best leaders are the ones who can admit they aren't the smart person in the room, and that its about surrounding themselves with smarter people and bringing the best out of each person to work together to a cohesive goal.

Flores may end up being a good coach, but the reason people like Richard is not because he’s a screaming gladiator maniac... it’s because he is a teacher. Yes, he is more aggressive, but you can also see how he relates to players and teaches not only fundamentals but ways to be mentally strong and prepared for any situation. I think you really downplay Richard’s positives when you describe him as just some screaming tough guy.

I'm not against Flores at all, he has worked in many different spots from scouting to coaching in all three phases. He should have a "big picture" view of the entire organization. Also, people say his defense had a horrible year but they were 11th against the run and 7th in points allowed which may not set any records but good enough.
I think Richard is going to be a good head coach as well and see him as more fire-y than rah-rah, which has more legs.
imo, they are both what this franchise needs right now, a bright young leader that will grow with everyone else.

Flores may end up being a good coach, but the reason people like Richard is not because he’s a screaming gladiator maniac... it’s because he is a teacher. Yes, he is more aggressive, but you can also see how he relates to players and teaches not only fundamentals but ways to be mentally strong and prepared for any situation. I think you really downplay Richard’s positives when you describe him as just some screaming tough guy.

Well said, couldnt agree more!

It is energy and passion that I care about, not the quiet ambivalence that we have had with our last 2 guys.

I dont want a guy that screams and yells, but a guy that is animated, interacts, teaches, and advocates for his players and team.

That is one of the characteristics that have turned me on to Richard, even though I have always prefered grabbing a guy with prior HC experience.

I'm not against Flores at all, he has worked in many different spots from scouting to coaching in all three phases. He should have a "big picture" view of the entire organization. Also, people say his defense had a horrible year but they were 11th against the run and 7th in points allowed which may not set any records but good enough.
I think Richard is going to be a good head coach as well and see him as more fire-y than rah-rah, which has more legs.
imo, they are both what this franchise needs right now, a bright young leader that will grow with everyone else.

Keep in mind, it is easy to be good against the run when your offense is in a shoot out, or so far ahead you force teams to be one dimensional. Like the Pats do.

Keep in mind, it is easy to be good against the run when your offense is in a shoot out, or so far ahead you force teams to be one dimensional. Like the Pats do.
true, and if it's easy to throw on you, teams don't need to run. I got that, I just don't see a "bad" defense

true, and if it's easy to throw on you, teams don't need to run. I got that, I just don't see a "bad" defense

On top of that, Im not sure how much of that defense you can even pin on Flores. I'm pretty sure he just inherited Patricia/Belichick schemes and players. Maybe if it was up to him he would have run things differently?

That is my real problem. He doesnt have a track record to speak of, at least nothing we can really quantify.

On top of that, Im not sure how much of that defense you can even pin on Flores. I'm pretty sure he just inherited Patricia/Belichick schemes and players. Maybe if it was up to him he would have run things differently?

That is my real problem. He doesnt have a track record to speak of, at least nothing we can really quantify.

Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom