***brian Flores Super Thread*** | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***brian Flores Super Thread***

The issue I have its almost like Grier is giving him his big time HC gig because they've become friends. Not because he deserves it.
Let’s hope not. I can’t believe an executive would risk his own career and hire HC based on friendship. Maybe a low level staff guy sure. Come on board get a check. But the HC?

Partially yes, read into it more though. They had so much success because they felt that Kitchens leadership and voice brought people together in a way the others didnt. They also hired based off of leadership style over experience. Just a similar scenario IMHO
Yep for sure goes hand in hand. Hope Williams loses it on Gase when Gase calls a 2yard pass on 3rd and 7. LOL

Lovethefish mentioned Leslie Frazier pairing. I could see it.

I would think if Jim Caldwell comes on it would likely be as the assistant head coach also. The guy should miami end up firing Flores for whatever reason most likely to take the interim gig.

Last off-season, Belichick felt that Flores wasn't ready to be a defensive coordinator and decided to effectively roll with a vacancy at the position instead.

I'm curious what you think has transpired in the past year to elevate Flores from "not ready to be a coordinator" to "ready to be given the keys to the franchise"?

It's a genuine question. If we're really going to go this route, I'd love to have my mind changed so I can try to muster some optimism.

Not sure if anyone has replied to you on this, but this is what Belichick has always done at the OC and DC spots.

Patricia called the defensive plays in 2010 and 2011 before being promoted to DC in 2012. They had no named DC over this time.

Josh McDaniels called the offensive plays in 2005, while there was no official OC on staff. He was promoted to OC in 2006.

So, while it's true he might be a bit green - him not being named official DC is not an indictment on him, it's just how BB does it.

Lovethefish mentioned Leslie Frazier pairing. I could see it.

I would think if Jim Caldwell comes on it would likely be as the assistant head coach also. The guy should miami end up firing Flores for whatever reason most likely to take the interim gig.
If Caldwell is the AHC, it means that Rizzi is gone. Personally I hope we keep Rizzi on.

The issue I have its almost like Grier is giving him his big time HC gig because they've become friends. Not because he deserves it.
Grier isn't alone in that opinion, many have said Flores deserves it. Maybe a little soon but better early than late and Ross is pledging patience

Whenever there is a coaching search we all have our favorites in part based on what is fed to us.

As we get closer to a selection of a candidate we start assessing if the hire is good soley on if we LIKE the choice.

I was and am a fan of Chris Richard because of reasons that matter not im sure, however as i digest the idea of Flores and reflect back on a few statements Ross made at the Gase termination presser, a guy like Flores makes perfect sense.

Ross stated he understands the team may lose before it can win consistently translation... tank to position the organization to draft a QB the foundation starts here.
This ties into a HC sharing the same vision
If he understands time is not his enemy it will allow him to DEVELOP as a coach, thus experience as a HC or even COORDINATOR is not as highly valued in the candiate.

Ross mention long term, he wants to be consistently successful so an obvious model for this is NEW ENGLAND.

I understand the failed BB coaching tree, i understand the appeal of one candidate over another, in the end it becomes is it a good fit.

I feel Grier wanted Flores for multiple reasons beyond being familiar and trusting him, the qualities reported (experience in scouting,coaching both off & def as well is communication and teaching skills) make him the ideal choice for Chris Grier.

Time will tell, fans get excited with splash hires..Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban and the like only for various reasons those approaches fail.

This is an under the radar so to speak hire, sure its either real or perceptual that this is a bad job... so was Tampa before Dungy, Seattle before Carroll its a league set up to elevate the losers the only thing an orginaztion needs is the right people doing the same job.

Chris Grier didn't put his job on the line by hiring Brian Flores...he steps on that line once he chooses a QB, thats when everyone either turns this franchise around or they turn around out the door.

I think Ross' and Grier's goal in this process was to find the guy that was the most opposite of Adam Gase. He really turned everybody off with his focus on one attribute of the team, lack of overall leadership, relationship with the players, conflict with management including the owner, and his prickly nature when answering the media's questions.

Back
Top Bottom