Brian Flores' Tenure in Miami Could End Sooner Than Expected | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores' Tenure in Miami Could End Sooner Than Expected

Soooooooooooooo, lemme make sure I've got this right.

1. The owner, GM and entire front office hire this guy for 5 years with a plan in place to tank and build the team in years 2 and 3.
2. The GM and owner let it slip pre-draft that they're tanking, then try to walk back their statements with some tepid mealy mouthed BS about competing, which everyone sees through and knows is a smokescreen.
3. The Coach talks about competing and still acknowledges that it can't all happen over night.
4. We gut the roster removing ALL of our pass rushers without replacing them whatsoever, get rid of ALL of our veterans except the most problematic contract we can't get out from under until next year (Reshad Jones), but we still try for a long time to trade that guy.
5. We drastically overhaul our roster literally less than a week before the season begins trading our best offensive player and bringing in a total of 4 new OL, 3 of whom played in week 1, and we shift our RT to LT with less than a week to prepare.
6. After telling the world in every conceivable way that we're tanking, we play the first game--and lose badly--now all of a sudden something has changed?

W. T. F. ?!?!?!?!!?!?

Things are going according to the script … why would anyone be fired? Everyone signed off on this, why would they change opinions now? We literally changed every single scheme and system we had, fired our OL coach late in the preseason, blew up the OL during the week before the first game, and never once even looked at a single guy who could provide a pass rush in the draft or FA. Ummmm, this is how we expected it to go. This is how we planned for it to go. Sure, losing 20-17 would have been easier to stomach … but we intentionally made ourselves bad, because we want to tank.

Coach Flo might be fired, but it's not going to be in 2019, I'm very confident of that.

Very well said...It is as if people are shocked at what has happened.

You know what was shocking..seeing the anointed Browns **** the bed week one at home...

The Dolphins have been at the bottom at every single power rankings, have been speculated to get the first pick in almost every "way to early" mock draft...the whole ****ing country knew this was going to be the result. Now that it is happening..."holy **** the coaches doesn't know what he is doing", "he is in over his head", "he will be fired sooner rather then later".

WTF do they expect to happen when half of the roster wouldn't make another roster in the NFL...

Flores may not be here for the duration of his 5 year contract but he's sure gonna be around for at least 2 and probably 3 seasons for a few reasons:
  • Grier is following Ross's mandate to tear down and rebuild; Flores had to be knowledgeable of this and assured he would not be penalized for poor play by the scrubs he's stuck with.
  • It's the right thing to do on Ross's part; you don't hire under certain understandings and then go against your word and fire him and his entire staff; it's morally wrong and a tremendous red flag for any subsequent incoming coaches.
  • More pragmatically speaking, after the Stills political call-out and his subsequent trading, Ross's forced "resignation" by the Players Coalition for the social working justice committee, the optics of firing a black head coach after selling him a bill of goods would be horrendous and Ross knows that.
It just ain't gonna happen!

He will definitely get 2020, but if the team continues to look like hot trash after getting the prized QB, I could see him getting canned after Year 2.

I think the real question isn't will we get the #1 pick. The real question is will we trade it for a package of picks, turning this into a 2-3 year period of having lots of picks.

Which is what the Cowboys did once upon a time... and what the Patriots do every year.

Reading is fundamental. I don't KNOW if he is clueless. What I do know is that:
  1. McCain isn't a free safety.
  2. Aikens isn't better in coverage than Fitzpatrick.
  3. Julian Davenport is a better LT than RT.
  4. Jessie Davis is a better RT than LT.
  5. The defense wasnt prepared.
Those are 5 that stand out to me and just because it's a tank, there's no reason for them to be so obvious.

We were playing those guys out of position to try to cover up deficiencies that much was obvious, it just didn’t work. This team was gutted and added 13 players who were cut from other teams who were in the game Sunday, no surprise that we were blown out.
I do find it comical that we’re basing this game on whether this guy is our coach or not.

We were playing those guys out of position to try to cover up deficiencies that much was obvious, it just didn’t work. This team was gutted and added 13 players who were cut from other teams who were in the game Sunday, no surprise that we were blown out.
I do find it comical that we’re basing this game on whether this guy is our coach or not.

The basics are simply flipping the Tackles.

I read up on Davenport and he was god awful last year at RT, but showed promise at LT.

I don't think Davis has played LT since hes been in the NFL...yet here he was starting at LT, after being a serviceable RT for us.

Last edited:
The guys got a free pass for 2019
I agree, but if his decision making and preparedness don't improve dramatically in year 2...what then?

Nope. Not gonna happen.

Its reported that Ross approved a tank season. So many on here claim, but I have never heard or read anything directly from Ross/Grier/Flores stating this.
We have a very young inexperienced roster. 10 players made the nfl debut last weekend.
This is known to be a rebuilding phase, and that takes more than 1 draft/FA to rebuild a team.
Trading/cutting so many players/starters in the month before the season started has caused drama, but it allows the staff to evaluate who is here or gone next year.
Flores will be here for at least 3 season. That will give him time to put his stamp on the team.

He is safe.

Where did Ross say any HC would get a pass on a first year build? Doubt any owner would say that. But then again it’s Ross.

Ill have to look up the presser when I get more time, but it was him and Grier after they fired Gase, and he made it very clear they were rebuilding and the next coach would get his patience and understanding through the beginning stages.

Something I pointed out in VIP: "He has a five year contract!" means absolutely nothing. Consider:

- Steve Ross sent Tony Sparano apology money before sacking him.
- If you consider that the team's revenue is going to decrease significantly as a result of retaining the coach, it actually makes more financial sense to fire him.
- And one thing nobody seems to be pointing out: The length of his contract really isn't instructive about the VALUE of the contract. I bet his old boss makes more annually than Flores does over the duration of the contract. We hired CHEAP.

Coaches can be dispatched a lot more cheaply than Reshad Jones or Tanne.

Guaranteed money is one thing, a guaranteed job doesn't exist.

I got news for ya. We haven’t even faced a legit edge rush team yet. Lol

It’s gonna get worse. We got a left tackle playing right and a guard playing left. Ok maybe a active 3rd tackle playing left.

I don’t much care about the scoreboard though. Who cares. Just get the top pick

Very well said...It is as if people are shocked at what has happened.

You know what was shocking..seeing the anointed Browns **** the bed week one at home...

The Dolphins have been at the bottom at every single power rankings, have been speculated to get the first pick in almost every "way to early" mock draft...the whole ****ing country knew this was going to be the result. Now that it is happening..."holy **** the coaches doesn't know what he is doing", "he is in over his head", "he will be fired sooner rather then later".

WTF do they expect to happen when half of the roster wouldn't make another roster in the NFL...
Yep, most fans get starry eyed when they see the future draft picks, but gloss over the part between today and the draft. We specifically built this roster to be unbalanced. We have DB's and DT's, but no DE's to provide the pass rush to allow the DB's to be effective, and no LB's to support the DT's in the run game. We had a great opportunity to draft Winovich or Zack Allen, and we chose not to draft either. We drafted one LB, and he's not a run stopper or a natural pass rusher. Our defense is exactly how we designed it. Oh, it'll get demonstrably better over the next month as they get the hang of the defensive scheme and start playing instinctively rather than trying to think how to react. But it'll never be good so unbalanced like this … and that's by design.

The offense was built specifically to be hamstrung by a jumbled and under-staffed OL, but to the shock of all, our OL hasn't been as bad as expected. We're a long way from adequate, but it's clear Googs has these guys doing OK for so early in the season. Just think how they'd do with a talent infusion.

We're committed to 2 more years of serious talent infusion, and we need it. So this year is going to be rough … but we'll eventually become a top team, IMHO.

If everyone from Ross down to Flores understands that this is a tank season, no one should be fired. My concern though is that how does a first time head coach develop a winning mentality for the team knowing they need to lose to be successful in a tank year?

Back
Top Bottom