Brian Flores' Tenure in Miami Could End Sooner Than Expected | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores' Tenure in Miami Could End Sooner Than Expected

Soooooooooooooo, lemme make sure I've got this right.

1. The owner, GM and entire front office hire this guy for 5 years with a plan in place to tank and build the team in years 2 and 3.
2. The GM and owner let it slip pre-draft that they're tanking, then try to walk back their statements with some tepid mealy mouthed BS about competing, which everyone sees through and knows is a smokescreen.
3. The Coach talks about competing and still acknowledges that it can't all happen over night.
4. We gut the roster removing ALL of our pass rushers without replacing them whatsoever, get rid of ALL of our veterans except the most problematic contract we can't get out from under until next year (Reshad Jones), but we still try for a long time to trade that guy.
5. We drastically overhaul our roster literally less than a week before the season begins trading our best offensive player and bringing in a total of 4 new OL, 3 of whom played in week 1, and we shift our RT to LT with less than a week to prepare.
6. After telling the world in every conceivable way that we're tanking, we play the first game--and lose badly--now all of a sudden something has changed?

W. T. F. ?!?!?!?!!?!?

Things are going according to the script … why would anyone be fired? Everyone signed off on this, why would they change opinions now? We literally changed every single scheme and system we had, fired our OL coach late in the preseason, blew up the OL during the week before the first game, and never once even looked at a single guy who could provide a pass rush in the draft or FA. Ummmm, this is how we expected it to go. This is how we planned for it to go. Sure, losing 20-17 would have been easier to stomach … but we intentionally made ourselves bad, because we want to tank.

Coach Flo might be fired, but it's not going to be in 2019, I'm very confident of that.
I agree with everything you said and I think most fans were prepared for the team to be bad this season, but I'm not sure anyone expected us to look THAT inept against the Ravens. I mean, even in 2017 when the Browns went 0-16, the most points they gave up in any game was 38. We gave up 42 in the 1st half. The Browns largest margin of defeat that season was just 24 points. I think the shock some of us are feeling is that even historically bad teams aren't usually as bad as the Dolphins were last Sunday.

With that said, it's only Week 1 and I don't think coach Flo is getting fired, nor should he. Like you said, this was management's plan. I just hope the front office doesn't dig a hole that is too deep for us to get out of in future seasons.

Even though no one really believes it.
Exactly. They just want you to believe it. The players aren’t in tank mode though. They’re trying to in, but with rotating a pile of garbage into the roster (and a dose of poor scheming) these guys won’t stand much of a chance in any game.

If everyone from Ross down to Flores understands that this is a tank season, no one should be fired. My concern though is that how does a first time head coach develop a winning mentality for the team knowing they need to lose to be successful in a tank year?

Because that winning mentality is for the birds in the NFL.

They're grown men, they dont need a winning mentality to win games in the future. Most of the guys that are here for the long term understand that they need a more talented team to win. They're not stupid.

I agree with everything you said and I think most fans were prepared for the team to be bad this season, but I'm not sure anyone expected us to look THAT inept against the Ravens. I mean, even in 2017 when the Browns went 0-16, the most points they gave up in any game was 38. We gave up 42 in the 1st half. The Browns largest margin of defeat that season was just 24 points. I think the shock some of us are feeling is that even historically bad teams aren't usually as bad as the Dolphins were last Sunday.

With that said, it's only Week 1 and I don't think coach Flo is getting fired, nor should he. Like you said, this was management's plan. I just hope the front office doesn't dig a hole that is too deep for us to get out of in future seasons.
Every coach seems to be obsessively concerned with stopping the run. This is why. If you can't stop the run, you will be completely dominated, even in this era of pass-happy offenses. ESPECIALLY in this era of pass-happy offenses, because all the defenses are light and quick to handle passing offenses, so they simply don't have the raw power and physicality to handle running teams. We couldn't stop the run, and thus, we were epically dominated in every imaginable way. The defense played tighter to the LoS and were burned deep repeatedly. Our LB's were garbage so when they broke past the DL, everything was chunk yardage. Our poor DB's were doing most of the tackling, and most of those guys aren't built for that. It was a massacre.

Rule #1 on defense … and Coach Flo knows this … STOP THE RUN. We couldn't have failed more miserably.

Rule #2 on defense … generate a pass rush. We intentionally hamstrung this defense by consciously eliminating all pass rushers and not replacing them. It's only a matter of time until the secondary loses coverage without a pass rush to force the QB to throw quickly. This was by design, to allow Coach Flo to improve the other aspects of the defense while still ensuring that we tank. It is amazing just how well it works to hamstring a defense without pass rushers.

The tanking is by design … and the design worked a little too well.

Nope - he signed 5 years for this very reason they will absolutely stink and be a top the divsion in 3 years

Every coach seems to be obsessively concerned with stopping the run. This is why. If you can't stop the run, you will be completely dominated, even in this era of pass-happy offenses. ESPECIALLY in this era of pass-happy offenses, because all the defenses are light and quick to handle passing offenses, so they simply don't have the raw power and physicality to handle running teams. We couldn't stop the run, and thus, we were epically dominated in every imaginable way. The defense played tighter to the LoS and were burned deep repeatedly. Our LB's were garbage so when they broke past the DL, everything was chunk yardage. Our poor DB's were doing most of the tackling, and most of those guys aren't built for that. It was a massacre.

Rule #1 on defense … and Coach Flo knows this … STOP THE RUN. We couldn't have failed more miserably.

Rule #2 on defense … generate a pass rush. We intentionally hamstrung this defense by consciously eliminating all pass rushers and not replacing them. It's only a matter of time until the secondary loses coverage without a pass rush to force the QB to throw quickly. This was by design, to allow Coach Flo to improve the other aspects of the defense while still ensuring that we tank. It is amazing just how well it works to hamstring a defense without pass rushers.

The tanking is by design … and the design worked a little too well.

2/3 of this roster would have a hard time stating in the CFL

2/3 of this roster would have a hard time stating in the CFL
It is understandable to gut the roster and go young. That enables more potential gem finding while also ensuring you do poorly. But this tank job was engineered, so they eliminated all pass rushers, and the team hasn't adapted to the new defensive multiple front scheme yet, so we're not really scheme generating any either. It's the worst of times. But, without players who have talent in those crucial pass rushing roles, it's not going to get a lot better.

You're right, there's a reason nobody is picking up our cuts … they're simply not good enough. There's a reason castoffs like Boehm and Isadora are fighting for a starting spot for us. There's a reason Nate Orchard has been cut by so many teams and nobody is picking him up. This roster lacks talent.

Ultimately, we're only looking to develop about 1/3 of the team. The rest are auditions for potential rough gems. At least 2/3 of the team will be replaced over the next 2 years.

My only real criticism is that the best way to do that would be to bring in veteran role players to set the tone and work ethic in the locker room. I saw Dwayne Allen as one of those guys. Now, the only ones I'm seeing are Daniel Kilgore and ……. yeah, that's about it, Daniel Kilgore. Fortunately he's there to mentor Michael Deiter. Reshad Jones is a veteran, but he knows they're actively trying to get rid of him and he's never been a vocal leader in the locker room anyway. Ryan Fitzpatrick definitely is playing that role at QB, but everyone knows it's a 1 year bridge and that if he stays, it'll only be as a backup to mentor a young QB.

I want these youngsters to learn good work habits and dedication. Typically veteran role players fill those roles, but we don't have many of them.

People can't wait to bury the Dolphins. We're one game in and they're talking about changing coaches. That's just moronic chatter imo. Flores deserves and will get every opportunity to be successful here in Miami. It will be interesting to see how the team responds to the beat down by the Ravens. It would be easy to lay down because you know the Patriots are coming to town and they just took the Steelers apart. I want to see character and I want to see the team I expected last week. A tough, scrappy group that competes its butt off and plays smart. As I said somewhere else, it better get better!!

I think the shock some of us are feeling is that even historically bad teams aren't usually as bad as the Dolphins were last Sunday.
Exactly.

Everything so far is going according to plan. Tearing down may be the easy part but they have done better than most. Games like last week are expected and there will be more, no need to panic
If that was the plan I don’t want them to come up with more plans. The worst point differential in history belongs to the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They lost their games by 20.5 points per game. I don’t see how anybody could still support Flores and company if we’re worse than that.

Exactly.

If that was the plan I don’t want them to come up with more plans. The worst point differential in history belongs to the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They lost their games by 20.5 points per game. I don’t see how anybody could still support Flores and company if we’re worse than that.
Trying to decide whether a defensive stat or 1st round draft position is more important

I thought the players quit on Flores the moment they got off the bus. Not a good look for Flores and his future, imo.

Back
Top Bottom