Brian Flores Wants Josh Rosen To Rein In "gunslinger Mentality | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores Wants Josh Rosen To Rein In "gunslinger Mentality

Montana was the same as Brady in that regard. You never got a cheap pick in a game that mattered.

I think that's Flore's POV. He comes from watching a QB like Brady that seldom gave away a cheap INT.
So he'd rather play it safe, take a sack, and try again with the defense.

Nothing wrong with the general idea of what he means. Protect the ball, minimize T/Os, and give yourself a chance at the end of ball games.

LOL.

You must have stayed up for days without sleep coming up with that!

Well played.
In an era when teams are throwing the ball all over the yard Miami has a head coach that wants the QB to get rid of his "gunslinger" mentality. Great. Why didn't they just keep Adam Gase then? All of those bubble screens and runs on second or third and long fit that mentality perfectly. Do you think Freddie Kitchens is trying to rein in Baker Mayfield's gunslinger mentality? Do you think Andy Reid is doing that to Patrick Mahomes or Kingsbury is trying to rein in Kyler Murry? This organization is so bassackwards that they are not even going to start Rosen on opening day so they can get as many chances as possible to evaluate him and to see if he can make progress enough to know if he can be the long term answer at QB.

Rosen had nothing to lose letting it rip and taking his lumps in the first pre-season game. It was just running a few plays against some new bodies for a change. I trust Rosen is smart enough to manage the game when it matters.

Rosen had nothing to lose letting it rip and taking his lumps in the first pre-season game. It was just running a few plays against some new bodies for a change. I trust Rosen is smart enough to manage the game when it matters.

I disagree! You play how you practice. I think doing stuff like that, especially when it works, reinforces itself. This team isn't good enough to overcome "any" mistakes.
Whatever games it does manage to win is going to come on mainly through playing clean, discipline ball.

I like gunslinger mentalities. You have to reign it in a little but you want your QB to be confident and to take chances sometimes...or else your offense will get stale and predictable.

Rodgers, Stafford, Mahomes, Rivers, Roethlisberger....those guys sling it. Not everyone is as calculated as Brady. Also, don't take sacks. Throw the ball away. The sacks end drives in this league. Rarely are you getting 3rd and 15+

If he just “takes the sack” behind that offensive line he’ll be taking sacks fcking game.

QB gotta make plays. Sometimes they work out sometimes they don’t. Just gotta hope that they work out more often than not.

In an era when teams are throwing the ball all over the yard Miami has a head coach that wants the QB to get rid of his "gunslinger" mentality. Great. Why didn't they just keep Adam Gase then? All of those bubble screens and runs on second or third and long fit that mentality perfectly. Do you think Freddie Kitchens is trying to rein in Baker Mayfield's gunslinger mentality? Do you think Andy Reid is doing that to Patrick Mahomes or Kingsbury is trying to rein in Kyler Murry? This organization is so bassackwards that they are not even going to start Rosen on opening day so they can get as many chances as possible to evaluate him and to see if he can make progress enough to know if he can be the long term answer at QB.

I think you're missing the CORE POINT.

Gunslinger = SOLO.

Ya know. Team first.

Also -- Gunslinger = unnecessary (i.e., low percentage) risk.

Again. Not in the "teams" best interests. Not a sustainable winning platform.

Beyond that dear sir, you make a ton of assumptions that are, for the most part,

far more rooted in YOUR HEAD than (for example) mine.

Last, you lack the essential evidence to indict this "org" in the current manifestation.

Last I checked, Brian Flores has yet to coach his 1st NFL reg. season game. And unless you're

one of those who's expecting INSTANT Lombardy -- maybe chill a tad before making absolute

statements? Just a possibility. IMO.

Enjoy!

Hard to criticize Rosen for that kind of stuff when the veteran starter we brought in for that type of thing pretty much self destructs with that type of play every time he gets an extended starting chance.

I believe it was. Anybody watching when that ball was released knew it was likely to get picked. It turned out ok, but in most cases, it doesn't. Still, I thought Rosen did well, considering the OL issues.
Wouldn't have been a pick. It was also a pass interference or defensive holding call which was negated by the first down completion.

Ummm, what??? We had a guy who would take the sack for the better part of 7 years. Clearly we all know where that got us.

You are conflating numerous issues between two very different QBs. Flores is talking about throwing up the ball with no chance of a reception. Williams made an incredible play on that ball. If that play is repeated 100 times it is completed once or twice. There is a big difference between being a check down machine and throwing up that monstrosity of a pass.

I thought the play was good. Preston Williams was 1 v 1 with a smaller corner. I've seen better decisions...I've seen worse, but from the looks of things Rosen trusts Williams in a 1 v 1 battle...and so do I.

Wow! I have a very different opinion. That was a very poor decision.

Back
Top Bottom