Brian Flores | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores

I honestly haven't watched a PC of his since Week 2. They were awful. He lacked confidence and could only muster generic coach speak. I can't imagine he has much else to say these days after getting blasted off the field for 4 straight games, but I will need to check out to see if his PCs have improved. Anyone got a link?

It is such an interesting discussion.

I don't think anyone would question the idea that we have the worst talent in the NFL, by a large margin. We are working with guys who would not be on an NFL roster on any other team. That s just our starters, but it gets much worse when you look at the depth.

I honestly don't know what to make of Flores. While we can have an opinion of Rosen...there are 3 years of college, plus a full season of NFL play that backs up some of the judgment on what he could and could not be in the NFL, while Flores has 4 games with the worst NFL roster.

He's going to be given the chance to work with this team for a few years...

One, he took this job knowing what the team planned the first couple of years...

Two, it is Ross's style to stick with guys (most of the time, far too long then they deserve)

There is one thing to note...Miami is one of the least penalized teams in the NFL. Considering what we are working with, that's pretty impressive.

If history is any indication, he has an uphill battle to become a successful HC in Miami following a disastrous season, whether it was by design or not...

I disagree. People judge players like Rosen so why can't we form an opinion about the coaches?
I think there is a difference. We can see Rosen play. While the supporting cast is lacking to say the least, he shows some flashes but I can still kind of get an idea of what his ceiling is. For example, if Marino was playing on this team, he wouldn’t win many games, but we would probably know right away that he was special.

Flores on the other hand can’t even correctly run his schemes because he doesn’t have the players. The opposing qb has all day to throw because we don’t have talented enough pass rushers which in turn makes our dbs look terrible. I don’t think we can blame lack of talent on a coaching staff. Even Shula would look like a bad coach with this roster.

I would like to see some sort of progress from him as far as preparation and in-game adjustments. Granted I haven't watched a game live this year due to my schedule, but from the highlights and condensed games I have seen they are struggling in those areas. Let's see how they come out after the bye week before we anoint him the next Shula.

While I agree but adjustments only work I'd the team has the talent to adjust.

Miami has the lowest talent pool in the NFL hard to adjust that.

Why are you listening to the talking heads? He was not named the defensive coordinator for the Patriots last season. There is a reason for that decision. He called the defensive plays, so he understood enough to operate the game plan. That does not mean he was the driving force for the game plan. I consider Flores a well rounded coach who may be a better head coach than a coordinator. I never considered him a defensive genius.

I did not put him up on a pedestal, and I expected this would be a season with growing pains. My opinion is youhad unrealistic expectations.
expecting this defense to immediately be better than the matt burke version was not unrealistic imo.

i agree with you in that as ive said before on this site, flores can be HC material but he better get some guru Xs and Os coordinators or he has no chance.

So the lack of talent doesn't matter to you?
of course it absolutely factors into an evaluation, but it's not all that matters. even with poor personnel there should be plays sprinkled in where the scheme puts someone in position to make a play they might not make otherwise. these have been hard to come by with this staff. honestly its no better than the last staff and thats disappointing.

I think there is a difference. We can see Rosen play. While the supporting cast is lacking to say the least, he shows some flashes but I can still kind of get an idea of what his ceiling is. For example, if Marino was playing on this team, he wouldn’t win many games, but we would probably know right away that he was special.

Flores on the other hand can’t even correctly run his schemes because he doesn’t have the players. The opposing qb has all day to throw because we don’t have talented enough pass rushers which in turn makes our dbs look terrible. I don’t think we can blame lack of talent on a coaching staff. Even Shula would look like a bad coach with this roster.
Honestly I don’t think that makes sense. The coaches can’t run their schemes because the players are not good enough but we can evaluate the QB playing with these same players in a scheme that won’t work anyway?

I'd say year 3, patience is nice but as we see coaches should be able to get 10 win seasons with a good qb. my fear is we got another Bill Obrien or Mike vrabel who will provide nothing bit good enough to good ebough to outright awful each year.
The NFL is a tough league, not many coaches can succeed, and it's been the graveyard of many a good coordinator or college coach. We'll see if Coach Flo can beat the odds ... but given the tanking, we'll be holding him to a higher standard, even if it doesn't occur until year 3 or 4. Fingers crossed brother.

Year 4?
Ive got to say 3 at most with this overhaul.
Well, there's talk that we might slow roll this into a two year tank. I seriously doubt that … but apparently it's a real consideration. If that happens, it's going to be hard to keep Flores and all of his coaches ... heads will have to roll if we slow roll.

You're right though, typically coaches get 3 years … and then they're judged. But, some owners, like the Rooney's, just commit to a coach and let them grow into the role, even if it takes longer. I kinda doubt that Ross would be that way, because he's got his own football advisors and his business instincts wouldn't really allow that, particularly at his age.

Well, there's talk that we might slow roll this into a two year tank. I seriously doubt that … but apparently it's a real consideration. If that happens, it's going to be hard to keep Flores and all of his coaches ... heads will have to roll if we slow roll.

You're right though, typically coaches get 3 years … and then they're judged. But, some owners, like the Rooney's, just commit to a coach and let them grow into the role, even if it takes longer. I kinda doubt that Ross would be that way, because he's got his own football advisors and his business instincts wouldn't really allow that, particularly at his age.

End of story. There is no glory
for Ross if not with Flores.

All the chips are in the kitty!
If the deal sucks it won't be pretty!

:confused

I would like to see some sort of progress from him as far as preparation and in-game adjustments. Granted I haven't watched a game live this year due to my schedule, but from the highlights and condensed games I have seen they are struggling in those areas. Let's see how they come out after the bye week before we anoint him the next Shula.

Sometimes while watching I see things that make me believe the coaches are in on the tank. Not necessarily coaching to lose, just not coaching to win.

Sometimes while watching I see things that make me believe the coaches are in on the tank. Not necessarily coaching to lose, just not coaching to win.
Every game...

When Flores didnt throw the flag for that dropped TD by Williams, I knew then that he's green. Maybe he'll mature, I doubt it. It hard to break bad habits, even when you know you have them.

Not a good look for Flores today. I’m not sure what he needs to do or can do to save his job. He gets 11 more games. He might be in with the tank, but I think that just sets him up as the ultimate scapegoat sucker. Not that I care what anyone says to the media, but it makes him a liar, too.

The job is going to be just too attractive to top talent to keep an inexperienced guy...especially if we don’t see improvement over the next 11 games. It just makes too much sense to me. Ross is an experienced businessman. You don’t get that way without doing some d*ck moves. He knew he couldn’t get top front office talent this year, so he gets scrubs in to do the tank...convinces them they are safe...it’s what he wants from them. And then jettisons them at season’s end and brings in his buddy Harbaugh, a guy with a super bowl resume who already turned around a bad team in just two years his last time in the NFL. Ross looks like a hero.

Not a good look for Flores today. I’m not sure what he needs to do or can do to save his job. He gets 11 more games. He might be in with the tank, but I think that just sets him up as the ultimate scapegoat sucker. Not that I care what anyone says to the media, but it makes him a liar, too.

The job is going to be just too attractive to top talent to keep an inexperienced guy...especially if we don’t see improvement over the next 11 games. It just makes too much sense to me. Ross is an experienced businessman. You don’t get that way without doing some d*ck moves. He knew he couldn’t get top front office talent this year, so he gets scrubs in to do the tank...convinces them they are safe...it’s what he wants from them. And then jettisons them at season’s end and brings in his buddy Harbaugh, a guy with a super bowl resume who already turned around a bad team in just two years his last time in the NFL. Ross looks like a hero.

That Harbaugh narrative is played out. His tenure in Ann Arbor has taken some of that luster and put some HQ dung on it.

Flores will get 3 years, minimum.

We actually brought in some pretty legit front office talent this offseason......

Back
Top Bottom