Bring in Gurley in Exchange for Draft Capital? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring in Gurley in Exchange for Draft Capital?

2020 2nd rounder. Anything less and I'd hang up the phone. They are in a desperate situation, with a capped out team that has no chance to contend with their POS QB. They have to move Gurley, and they'll have other guys to get rid of as well.
I wouldn't do it for that alone.

If we could use that pick on Dobbins or Swift, then it would be worth it, IMO. Wouldn't have to dip into the picks we currently have for a RB.
I don't look at it that way. You are buying a pick, not a specific player. I don't think a GM would look at it that way either.

The question really is, is the pick you are getting in return worth 13 million dollars?

I don't think a 2nd is. 13 mil gets you a pretty solid FA for a year.

Only way I do it is for a #1.

I don't look at it that way. You are buying a pick, not a specific player. I don't think a GM would look at it that way either.

The question really is, is the pick you are getting in return worth 13 million dollars?

I don't think a 2nd is. 13 mil gets you a pretty solid FA for a year.

Only way I do it is for a #1.
This exactly! Getting a RB getting paid over 10M per is a serious hindrance on your ability to build your team effectively... I dont care if the 1st is in 2021, but I absolutely need a 1st round pick. And even then, it isnt a clear win, its just fair comp.

Edit: If Im the Rams, I'd much rather straight up cut him than spew a 1st to get rid of him...

n dollars?

I think the way you would have to justify it is. you arent getting Gurley for 13 million. you are getting Gurley and a potentially stud prospect for about 15 million. You just have to hit on the pick which isnt always a likelihood, but at the same time we've always been hit or miss on our FA acquisitions. I'm sure @NBP81 has some kind of scenario showing the latest possible pick we can have to have a shot a stud player. So if he says it has to be a first then I'll be right there with him. I'm not looking back but i think i said i wanted more than just a second, actually said i wanted the 1st next year but forgot about hte Ramsey trade.

If you hit on the pick you look like a genius, and the higher the pick the better the chance of hitting. you get a potential stud starter cheap for 4 years, and a maybe/maybe not washed up RB for a year to help with the young guy you bring in.

The Browns turned Brocks contract into Jabril Peppers who i havent really kept up with so i dunno if it was worth the purchase. I know him along with others was turned in OBJ and so on. Their pick is 52 this year... if you turn that 15 million into Gurley and cost controlled Deion Jones, then it sounds like a great trade off. If you turn that pick into Drew Sample, then no, why are you are not needing a reserve TE and Gurley for 15 million. The outcome possible wouldn't be known for maybe a season or two if it was wise, but by then you cut Gurley and have the cap back.

If you have faith in the regime then go for it, if not then just try to buy you a player in FA

This exactly! Getting a RB getting paid over 10M per is a serious hindrance on your ability to build your team effectively... I dont care if the 1st is in 2021, but I absolutely need a 1st round pick. And even then, it isnt a clear win, its just fair comp.

Edit: If Im the Rams, I'd much rather straight up cut him than spew a 1st to get rid of him...

Especially after they have away 2 for Ramsey.

Gurley has a few good years left. I’d buy the draft choice as we have money the next few years until we can cut him realistically. In the meantime he’s a good RB and we got High draft choice

Your not getting a first round pick. Let’s not forget Gurley is still a capable runner and at worst a 10 carry per game back that can move the chains in short yardage and fall into the end zone better than 90% of the league.

ESPN Rams reporter Lindsey Thiry believes the team could attempt to trade Todd Gurley this offseason.

Edit: this post was created with the intention of us taking on Gurley’s contract as well as a high draft pick in exchange for the Rams receiving cap relief ala Osweiler to the Browns years prior.

Or we could simply use one of our 100000000 draft picks on a shifty running back who can catch passes out of the backfield?

Gurley has a few good years left. I’d buy the draft choice as we have money the next few years until we can cut him realistically. In the meantime he’s a good RB and we got High draft choice

I get the not wanting to take on cap space, even though Miami has plenty of space to do so. The whole thing about Gurley as an old vet on the verge of collapse I don't get. Sure he had a down season in 2019, but he had career years in 2017 and 2018. One bad year isn't a sure sign that you've lost it. Remeber Gurley has only played 4 seasons and is about the same age as Ricky Williams and Reggie Bush when they joined Miami. Both had career years after they were 26 and on their second team. Gurley might not be a fit for the Dolphins, but I wouldn't write him off as an elite back just yet. On a contending team with the right system he could be a big problem for opposing defenses.

Gurley has a degenerative condition in his knee. His odds of playing at a high level again are very low.

Picks are valuable, because rookies are inexpensive. Taking on a bad contract to get a pick defeats the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom