Bring on the season! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring on the season!

I want football. I'm not watching the crowd. At this point they could play in a field behind a Home Depot and I'm watching.
I don’t care if there are fans in the stadium either. The issue will be when players on the teams come down with Covid19 and then the rest of the team and coaches are placed on quarantine for 14 days. Will they make up the games the teams don’t play or will they just cancel those games altogether? Personally I think that as much as the NFL and the colleges want to play football this year, it is going to be extremely difficult because the virus will only get worse as states open up.

The NBA is going to attempt to open up by having all the teams play all their games in Orlando and by basically preventing the players and coaches from interacting with people outside the league once the season starts back up. The NFL and college football teams don’t have this option and they will be exposed far more to the virus as they travel to various locations around the country to play their games. I hope the season can be played but the virus is going to remain a major issue for all the sports leagues and the rest of society until a vaccine is developed and unfortunately that might be several years from now or perhaps never.

Don't bank on a vaccine coming before 2021. I am originally from Australia and still follow the the NRL (national rugby league) in Australia. Bear in mind where here in the US we've had over 100,000 deaths from the pandemic, Australia has only had 102. However, they have strictly followed the advice from the epidemiologists and only just recommenced their NRL season last weekend. What is significant is that they did it to empty stadia, ie they considered the risk of failure to adequately avoid spreading the virus to be too great (and this is in a country where only 7000 odd persons contracted covid-19 and 102 died). All countries have approached the pandemic differently, but the US is playing with fire if it permits crowds without adequate social distancing, particularly at a time when a second wave is projected. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL took a risk averse approach by having the stadia empty and just playing the games for TV audience. They take a big loss in terms of attendance revenue but just rapidly ignoring risk and escalating loss of life would be terrible.
You may be correct. However, a huge issue is the variance of reporting. In the USA, hospitals receive more money from Medicare/insurance/etc, if the diagnosis is death or illness from Covid vs not Covid. Countries use variable diagnostic techniques.

You may be correct. However, a huge issue is the variance of reporting. In the USA, hospitals receive more money from Medicare/insurance/etc, if the diagnosis is death or illness from Covid vs not Covid. Countries use variable diagnostic techniques.
Brothers please save this talk for the political forum not the main forum. Thank you! Have a great and safe weekend.

John

While I understand the desire to keep discussion of the virus in the political forum. The reality is that the virus is very likely to have a direct effect on the football season. Either by greatly reducing the crowd size or possibly effecting games by individual players who contract the virus and therefore are unable to play because they are placed under quarantine. The virus could also cause entire teams to be placed in quarantine and therefore games have to be cancelled.

The possible effect the virus could have on the Dolphins as well as the rest of the NFL is the reason I view it as a football issue and not a political issue but if you truly don’t see it as something that can affect the entire football season, I will make no future comments regarding the virus in the Football section of this forum.

Brothers please save this talk for the political forum not the main forum. Thank you! Have a great and safe weekend.

John
I appreciate your point. Covid is not the same as who starts on the OL.
two points I would like to offer.
1. The virus should not be political.
2. The virus does affect us- fans or no fans, training camps, player protection, etc.

While I understand the desire to keep discussion of the virus in the political forum. The reality is that the virus is very likely to have a direct effect on the football season. Either by greatly reducing the crowd size or possibly effecting games by individual players who contract the virus and therefore are unable to play because they are placed under quarantine. The virus could also cause entire teams to be placed in quarantine and therefore games have to be cancelled.

The possible effect the virus could have on the Dolphins as well as the rest of the NFL is the reason I view it as a football issue and not a political issue but if you truly don’t see it as something that can affect the entire football season, I will make no future comments regarding the virus in the Football section of this forum.

In 5 sentences you said virus 5 times lol ... I think you just like saying virus :lol:

I appreciate your point. Covid is not the same as who starts on the OL.
two points I would like to offer.
1. The virus should not be political.
2. The virus does affect us- fans or no fans, training camps, player protection, etc.
Brother this thread was not started or intended to talk about the virus, but looking forward to the new season. For me it was something to get pumped up about and look forward to with all that is going in the country and world. Talking about the virus here for me takes away that little happiness. It is up to the staff where they want that conversation to go.
Have a great weekend!
John

Brother this thread was not started or intended to talk about the virus, but looking forward to the new season. For me it was something to get pumped up about and look forward to with all that is going in the country and world. Talking about the virus here for me takes away that little happiness. It is up to the staff where they want that conversation to go.
Have a great weekend!
John
No criticism. I agree. No more Covid from me.

I’m excited about our rookie class, and free agents. It has me very pumped and optimistic. On paper we’ve significantly upgraded, but I do expect a slow start. With more talent, and some of the signings I expect them to not take as long either.

I think KVN starts being a big factor immediately as he’s familiar with this defensive scheme. I don’t think it will take too long for Ogbah, and Lawson. Wilkins should step up with more talent around him. Also near the end of last season, AVG started making plays on ST and at LB. I’m curious to see what Raekwon Davis we get. But I don’t know what he will be asked to do. I think we see a lot of Roberts, the other NE LB we signed.

The secondary has a lot of talent, in X, Jones, and Needham started stepping up his game near the last quarter of season. Biggest question mark is, will X stay healthy. The additions of Brandon Jones and Noah Igby is exciting, both will take time to adjust to the nfl level. Wiltz(Perry?), Parker, and Tae Hayes all showed signs of promise, this will be a telling year for them if they make the final roster.

We all know how terrible our O line was. That’s going to be an interesting thing to watch develope. I’m excited we went for big meanies instead of that finesse stuff. I watched a lot of tape of UDFA Donnel Stanley, I think he has potential to take the C job. I’d pencil in Karras for now.

Next year I would love for Miami to draft some weapons, WR, RB, and TE. I’m okay with what we have for now and would love to get the trenches set. Wouldn’t be surprised if we went after more corn next year, mixed in with some weapons. In another thread, I saw some talk of Solomon Kindley. Last night they were re running Georgia @ Auburn. So I got to focus on him and Noah Igby a lot. Kindley played pretty well, one play he got man handled by Brown pretty badly, but other than that he held his own.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Flores shapes this team the next couple of years. The job he did last year was outstanding!

To take that roster when roughly a third of the roster was turned over heading into week 1, trade away Tunsil and Minkah, and still get results was worthy of coach of the year consideration.

Question for the board. If the season is cancelled, how do you think the draft will be affected? First off, I don't expect that to happen but we are hearing speculation about the virus having a resurgence in September. So it might be a possibility.

Anyway, do you think the NFL would use the same order as the 2020 draft?

Not feeling good about the season happening.
I sure hope I’m wrong.
Dont mean to be a downer, but players blow droplets out of their mouths on every play, whether they’re getting tackled, blocking, or even running with each other. Not sure how they’ll be protected?
New types of helmets or shields perhaps?
One positive, If no season, which I’m REALLY hoping there is one, will be that Tua will be completely healed and ready to start by the time they hit the field in 2021.
Again, I hope I’m wrong in my thinking..

Back
Top Bottom