Broncos vs Dolphins 1999 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Broncos vs Dolphins 1999

John Avery and Yatil Green. No wonder we fell on hard times.

Both guys were world beaters for me on NFL Gameday 98 (Green) and Madden 99 (Avery and Green). Unfortunately, real life wasn't so kind. I still think Green would have been a good to very good wideout if injuries didn't completely derail him. It was similar to the Kijana Carter situation (serious injuries in the first two years and they never fully bounced back).

Payback for that 38-3 playoff beat down

I understand your thought. I have a hard time looking at it like that since the 38-3 was a playoff game and this was a regular season game. Miami's second-round exits in 1998, 99, and 2000 were all bad (Denver, Jacksonville, and Oakland). they were sandwiched between wildcard exits in 1997 and 2001.

I understand your thought. I have a hard time looking at it like that since the 38-3 was a playoff game and this was a regular season game. Miami's second-round exits in 1998, 99, and 2000 were all bad (Denver, Jacksonville, and Oakland). they were sandwiched between wildcard exits in 1997 and 2001.
I look at it as a little bit of revenge because the very next season, Monday night in prime time when Denver unveiled their banner , Miami put up the same 38 points they had allowed on that same field just the previous postseason.

from the late 90s to early 00s it was pretty much a given that Miami would go 10-6, 11-5, win wild card weekend and then get blown out in the divisional round. Pissed me off so bad.

such a sad season, marino was player of the week 2x that season, and for good reason, but an injury midway through the season, where he pinched a nerve, really sapped him of his arm strength. had that injury not happened, maybe he plays at 38. I don't know that anything could've helped us against Jax that year short of a plane crash.

We all know the legend of the quick release and his pocket presence. But really, lets really look at the greatness here. Here is Danny at the very end of his career laden with about 50 knee surgeries and a shoulder issue. STILL, just look at the way he was still moving in that pocket to avoid defenders and getting that ball down field. I’m trying not to be bias here but that was the greatest at the QB position I’ve ever witnessed.
Im always against judging QBs because they didn’t win a championship. That’s a total bullshit take as far as I’m concerned. To win a championship you need everyone from the water boy to the head coach to perform magic. Never mind building at least a fair defense and running game around the QB. There are just too many variables in football to be able to pull of a SB win to judge a QB as not the greatest at his position.
One more thing about your point regarding SBs. We all know about the not so great QBs that won. But what about these “elites” that have only won 1 like Brees and Rodgers and Favre? Does it detract from how great they are? Is Tom Brady 5 SB wins better than them? Is he even or was he ever better than Rodgers or Favre? IMO no ****ing way. The QB can’t do it alone. If he could, Dan would have a bunch and so would Peyton (his 2nd one doesn’t count - he was so broken he couldn’t do anything but turn the ball over in that game as the D and ST scored all the points or set them up inside the 5). It just further drives the point home that the you need a complete team, the right matchup (our ‘84 team would have beaten most SB teams from that era), injury luck etc. No one did it like Dan and for as long.

such a sad season, marino was player of the week 2x that season, and for good reason, but an injury midway through the season, where he pinched a nerve, really sapped him of his arm strength. had that injury not happened, maybe he plays at 38. I don't know that anything could've helped us against Jax that year short of a plane crash.
The Jax game - another game that was over in the first 5 minutes like 2016 Pitt. Didn’t Fred Taylor go 80 yards on play number 1?

A different game vs Denver. Check out the first two pass plays - 69 yard TD and 75 yards. Then watch the beauty right before the half to Rose. OMG I miss this man slinging the rock.

I enjoy looking at these old games. Check out Reggie Roby’s punt at about the 13 minute mark of this playoff win in ‘84 against Seattle. You’re not supposed to be able to do this LOL - what a player Roby was.

It was my 24th birthday. I had just moved down to Miami a couple months previously and was at a friends house as he was finishing up putting up hurricane shutters as a hurricane (Floyd) was about to crush us had it not turned North at the last second.

I never understood why that Elway backwards pass because Thomas spun him wasn’t a fumble. It should be because it’s a great defensive play.
Edit note - this play happened in the 1998 game. My bad.

I enjoy looking at these old games. Check out Reggie Roby’s punt at about the 13 minute mark of this playoff win in ‘84 against Seattle. You’re not supposed to be able to do this LOL - what a player Roby was.

Jeez, von Schamann (Finkel) missed a lot of postseason kicks. The one right off the bat here is about as far right as you could hit it.

Going down the YouTube rabbit hole. Damn, Marino had such a quick release. Yeah. I know. We've heard that many times. It's still amazing to see it.

Who remembers this game?

They even dubbed the radio call. Ahh good times. I used to turn the TV down and listen to Zimfer & Mandich instead.

I remember it well. I remember praying Miami would sign Tony Martin to give Marino a real threat in the passing game. When Tony was cleared of his off-field issues and joined the team I thought they had a real chance to make some noise that year...

We all know the legend of the quick release and his pocket presence. But really, lets really look at the greatness here. Here is Danny at the very end of his career laden with about 50 knee surgeries and a shoulder issue. STILL, just look at the way he was still moving in that pocket to avoid defenders and getting that ball down field. I’m trying not to be bias here but that was the greatest at the QB position I’ve ever witnessed.
Im always against judging QBs because they didn’t win a championship. That’s a total bullshit take as far as I’m concerned. To win a championship you need everyone from the water boy to the head coach to perform magic. Never mind building at least a fair defense and running game around the QB. There are just too many variables in football to be able to pull of a SB win to judge a QB as not the greatest at his position.
No doubt, you need a team around you. Sadly, this game against the Broncos was just about the best he looked that year. Even more sadly, the team might have been better at QB when Damon Huard played when Marino got hurt. So many years where the first half was so promising. This was a 7-1 start...it ended in ways I choose not to remember...

Back
Top Bottom