Brown=bust??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brown=bust???

dolfreak

RoNNiE 4 MVP
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is the guy I feel will be the BUST if he does end up going somewhere in the top 10. But If we do end up taking Brown at #2 it CAN be a potential "bust" to some people because they might think he wont run for at least 1200 yd and 7+ TD's... Well the same can be said for the other 2 RB's. Just look at the last 5 years of the NFL draft.Since 2000 only 2 RB's have been taken in the Top 10. Jamal Lewis at #7 and Ladainian Tomlinson at # 5...Look at the numbers they put up in their first year:
In 2000 Jamal Lewis started 13 of 16 games.
309 Att. 1364 Yd. 4.4 Avg 6 TD
He caught 27 passes for 296 Yd. with a 11.0 Avg. and 0 TD

IN 2001 Ladainian Tomlinson started all 16 games.
339 Att 1236 Yd. 3.6 Avg and 10 TD.
He caught 59 passes for 367 Yd. with a 6.2 Avg and 0 TD
Keep in mind he did have a few nagging injuries that year.

Is this going to be the bar we have set for these 3 RB's ????

These 2 guys were BEASTS in college and they are BEASTS now in the pros !!

Regardless of what RB goes at whatever pick they can always be a "bust" in peoples eyes because you cant always ask for a 1600 Total Yard back at will and get it. I see it that the BIG 3 RB's in the this years draft have a pretty tough goal ahead of them . Do you think that all 3 can produce these types of numbers???
I guess it WILL be safer to trade down or just draft one of the WR's.

I think Ronnie Brown has been overhyped since the combines. The other two showed a lot more on the field than he has.

I dont see why the WRs are safer picks if we cant trade down. Im hoping we can trade down and still get one of the big 3 RBs. I think they all have potential to be very good and we need a RB, works out perfectly imo

Hey dolfreak, I saw that clip in your sig. How frutti is it that the Bucs make videos for each game!

I agree that Brown could be a bust. Size and speed helps but that doesnt guarantee success. I think both Caddillac and Benson are safer picks then Brown, but Brown has those intangibles that could make him a Tomlinson type of back (Elite). Id say that none of the RBs should be taken in the top 5 because RBs typically fall on draft day and because this year is so deep with backs that you can get a a quality player in the 3rd rd. The best value at #2 is either Smith (if hes still available) or Edwards. I think either of them will be the pick if we stay at 2. If we trade back with Tampa or Minnesota I think the best value at #5 would be either Mike Williams or Antrelle Rolle. Id only consider taking a back if we traded for Minny's #7 or we just traded out of the top 10 (I think atleast 1 of the backs, maybe 2 could last until the teens of this draft). I think Brown should be considered the best back in this draft because of the relatively small amount mileage on his legs, his combo of size and speed, and his ability to catch the ball ( They say hes good enough to play as a slot reciever). Although it does bother me that he couldnt really beat out Caddilac in college, I think Browns skills could work better in the NFL then they did in college.

Jnaledu3 said:
I think Ronnie Brown has been overhyped since the combines. The other two showed a lot more on the field than he has.

Ronnie Brown has been in the top 5 on most experts big boards since the beginning of the college season. Also there were numerous times that he was ahead of Cadillac. The only thing that changed since the combine is he overtook benson.

I will also garuntee he wont be a bust. At WORST he will be Deuce McAllister. At best the limit is endless. None of the big 3 RBs or the big 2 WR will be a bust.

Another thing. I am not one that just relies on history of previous players but Auburn has always put out good RBs and FBs.

Jim Brown - FB
Rudi Johnson - FB
Bo Jackson
Stephen Davis - FB

Plus Auburn players are always hard workers and have good character

PhinsPhan said:
Ronnie Brown has been in the top 5 on most experts big boards since the beginning of the college season. Also there were numerous times that he was ahead of Cadillac. The only thing that changed since the combine is he overtook benson.

I will also garuntee he wont be a bust. At WORST he will be Deuce McAllister. At best the limit is endless. None of the big 3 RBs or the big 2 WR will be a bust.

He was a mid first rounder at the beginning of the offseason. Since the combines, hes gone up to a top 5. He started out behind both Williams and Benson.

Jnaledu3 said:
He was a mid first rounder at the beginning of the offseason. Since the combines, hes gone up to a top 5. He started out behind both Williams and Benson.

This isnt true at all. Mel Kiper had him as right below Caddy during the season and kept flip flopping them.

Jnaledu3 said:

I couldnt agree more. I think Ronnie Brown runs alot like JJ Johnson, and if he runs anything like him in the NFL, he'll have a short career.

PhinsPhan said:
Another thing. I am not one that just relies on history of previous players but Auburn has always put out good RBs and FBs.

Jim Brown - FB
Rudi Johnson - FB
Bo Jackson
Stephen Davis - FB

Plus Auburn players are always hard workers and have good character
Auburn players have character? I'm wondering if the chararcter you speak of is what got their program put on probation 3 times in the last 12 years. Not busting on Brown as an individual but I think your giving Auburns program a little too much credit here considering their recent history with the NCAA.

Jnaledu3 said:

Ronnie Brown was projected as a mid first round pick last year. Since the begining of this season, his name has been mentioned right along with Benson, and Caddy as a top 10 pick.

Jnaledu3 said:

Not at all true. By years end Brown was constantly mentioned as the top Rb prospect for the NFL. Footballs Future, and quite a few more sites had Brown ahead of both Benson, and Caddy way before the season ended. The combine had him leap frog Benson in almost all of them, but it was only a slot or two anyway, but he's been top 5 for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom