Brown falling/Maybe Benson?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brown falling/Maybe Benson??

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
Boomer said:
Well Carnell has the best vision and the best ability to create, arguably of ANY back in the draft. You watch him play and at times you are just blown away. I remember seeing him against Alabama last year (2003/4 season) for the first time since 2002/3 and seeing him take the first snap off RT, turn up field like lightning with incredible body lean and just blow down the field 80 yards for 6. There are increasing rumours that Brown might be falling, that Saban's smokescreen is for Benson, the guy he really covets and the guy that the Bears really covet as well. Remember, Saban got up and walked off when Benson declared he wasn't running at Indy and didn't stick around for Brown. The Bears are so worried that Benson will go at 2 that they have flown AGAIN to Auburn to meet and re-work out Carnell Williams with Lovie Smith, Jerry Angelo and Ron Turner all going. This is significant. This to me indicates that the Bears are very aware that Saban is targeting Cedric Benson and fear that he will be off the rack by pick number 4. This is the contingency.

Brown is too big and powerful to be a Westbrook. He has good skills - great skills - but could be a bit straight ahead for Nick. Who knows. This Benson stuff could be a double bluff!! :D
I have copied this from the 'Ask Boomer' thread. I think it is very relevent, and deserved a new thread.

I am not suprised that rumours such as this are flying about. Following the combine, Brown wowed everyone and shot up draft boards. It is of no suprise to hear the Ronnie may be falling a bit because he is a 'clumsy' straight ahead runner. I believe that he has some moves, but he has poor vision and, quoting an NFL scout from an article I read yesterday, 'may run into the back of blockers from time to time'. I still hope that we draft him.

I am suprised by the Benson talk though. I've seen him go as low as #14 in some mocks recently... who knows, maybe we could trade down with the Bears?

Im not shocked. Brown had a good showing at workouts and has a lot of ability but Benson should be a really high draft pick also. I was kind of surprised when people started dismissing him on mockdrafts like he was a mediocre prospect or something. I wouldnt be shocked at all if he was the 1st back taken.

Cool. So now Benson is the flavor of the week?

Surferosa said:
Cool. So now Benson is the flavor of the week?
apparently so... the more I think about it, the more I get confused. I thought that Benson was out of the picture.

I dunno whether I was just taken in by all the talk last week, but I can really see us drafting Braylon... maybe it was all a smokescreen to get some interest out of the Vikings (who love Troy Williamson).

our biggest 'need' is probably RB. WR / Braylon however is probably BPA at #2 and Saban has said all along he will take the BPA for the long-term success of the franchise so I'd honestly be surprised to go RB with the draft unless he got caught up in the media pressure that Ricky / RB is the reason we lost so much last year (which although was the start of a bad season....just isn't true. Think of all the injuries across the board, new coaches, coaching changes, QB changes etc.)

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/pressreleases/pressreleases.asp?contentID=3799

"Whatever is the best for this organization, long-term from a value-standpoint, is what we're going to do with that pick in the draft."

""I feel when you’re picking this high in the draft you make some mistakes if you just try to take need into consideration. Everybody as a coach would like to satisfy some need with the pick in the draft that you have. But, I think when you’re picking that high you better pick the player who has the most value to the organization long-term. If we have to pick there, I think that’s what we’ll do. "

(On trying to balance need vs. taking the best player available) –

"You’d like to have those two things be the same thing. When you’re picking this high and you try to make those two things be the same thing, you can get yourself into trouble."

If it DOES come down to the BEST PLAYER, you'd have to think that's a toss up between Mike Williams and Edwards.

Upstairs in the Gold Club we were discussing this and the possibilities of it being the ultimate double bluff.

that's the nagging feeling in my mind....that he's doing all this to get a RB or QB....when BPA is WR at #2...

Boomer said:
If it DOES come down to the BEST PLAYER, you'd have to think that's a toss up between Mike Williams and Edwards.

Upstairs in the Gold Club we were discussing this and the possibilities of it being the ultimate double bluff.

This is probably the most interesting thread I've read in weeks. I agree that Saban is playing a great poker game. Something Rick Sp. obviously wasn't able to do at all. Makes the draft more exciting. Now when we all sit down for the draft, there's actual suspense, whereas if it were last season, we'd already know who we were selecting. Gotta love it.

jbond said:
unless they pull an Eddie Moore type pick on us....lol

I think in the end the Eddie Moore pick will turn out OK.

Benson was, is, and will continue to be the best back in the draft.

I don't mind us getting Brown because he would probably fit the mold Linehan wants, and he might work best for us based on playes and strategy.

But the best runner in the draft? Benson. The only reason Brown passed him is because of his workout. How a workout can pass Bensons achievements on the field is beyond me.

But I'll be happy with either one.

The very bottom line is that we will be drafting one from Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Benson, Caddy, Brown, Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards. When all's said and done, that's not a bad collective and anyone of those should be a good pick. When I look at it on the cold light of day, I have to think that I have no idea who I'd like most.

:)

Ohio Fanatic said:
This is probably the most interesting thread I've read in weeks. I agree that Saban is playing a great poker game. Something Rick Sp. obviously wasn't able to do at all. Makes the draft more exciting. Now when we all sit down for the draft, there's actual suspense, whereas if it were last season, we'd already know who we were selecting. Gotta love it.
Yeah... last year was weird... I read Carey all the way, and actually wanted him for a while; however, I was convinced that we had traded up to take Wilfork.

Boomer said:
The very bottom line is that we will be drafting one from Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Benson, Caddy, Brown, Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards. When all's said and done, that's not a bad collective and anyone of those should be a good pick. When I look at it on the cold light of day, I have to think that I have no idea who I'd like most.

I'd have to agree, and at this point with all the discussion, facts and figures all crowded into my pea brain, I am more informed and less decided than ever. :confused:

Boomer said:

I dont think Saban is even thinking Benson at #2 at all. Maybe at 7 or 11.

Back
Top Bottom