Brunell Impact on RT position | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brunell Impact on RT position

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this has been discussed, but it just didn't register with me.

Brunell being left-handed means we need a pass blocking RT - not just a "road-grader" type - ala Wade (who didn't do much of either in 2003).

If we sign Brunell, we would also have to make sure we had a very good, quick RT to back him up.

I think Wade Smith is suited as a pass blocking OT - not a good run blocker - which is usually more the strength you want in the RT for a righthanded QB, or LT for a lefthanded QB.

That should make for several interesting adjustments should we go after Brunell - and May factor in to whether we sign him - pursuing a guy like John Tait might be more important with Brunell.

It's a good question. Theoretically, you could just flip the right and left tackles and run more to the left side. But, in reality, it doesn't quite work that way. I think we'd be fine with Wade at RT with Brunell at QB, so long as we upgraded at RG. I wouldn't be opposed to McKinney moving to RG for that purpose, as he's a better pass blocker than Nails. Of course, then we'd have to do something else at center.

I'm still bitter that we didn't make more of a run at Kyle Turley last year, who CAN play either tackle position well.

Phunwin...We had good reason not to go at Turley. If these stats are correct, he had a HORRIBLE 2002 season. Which makes sense why the Saints let him go. According to Stats Inc. he had 13 1/2 sacks given up and 7 penalties. Words cannot describe how bad that performance is. Wade Smith did better then that.

He did better this last season, but we avoided him for good reason.

As for the RT/LT thing..I dont think it matters all that much. The difference between the tackles came out of the trend of small, fast, linebacker type DE's being played on the right, generally QB's side. That's why LT has to be the atheletic pass blocker.

If we get Brunell, the left side would cease to be the quarterbacks blind side. However, we'd still be getting speed rusher type DE's coming from the Left Side. I know we'll from time to time switch Ogun and Taylor, but we're the exception to the trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the person Miami could really go after is in SD. T Damion McIntosh is a young athletic tackle who Miami could pursue due to lack of salary cap and need of core positions. When you look at the 2nd tier of FA Tackles, Damion stands out. San Diego T Soloman Page also looks pretty decent so look for Miami to look both of them. I prefer McIntosh.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Perhaps this has been discussed, but it just didn't register with me.

Brunell being left-handed means we need a pass blocking RT - not just a "road-grader" type - ala Wade (who didn't do much of either in 2003).

If we sign Brunell, we would also have to make sure we had a very good, quick RT to back him up.

I think Wade Smith is suited as a pass blocking OT - not a good run blocker - which is usually more the strength you want in the RT for a righthanded QB, or LT for a lefthanded QB.

That should make for several interesting adjustments should we go after Brunell - and May factor in to whether we sign him - pursuing a guy like John Tait might be more important with Brunell.

I've thought about that alot and is the main reason I'm not on the brunnell bandwagon. say we draft Rivers and sign brunnell and have to really address the right side only to have Rivers start the following yr and back to the same ole same ole. Granted, Smith would get better next yr alone but it's not the same not having to protect MBs 6 tho.

Back
Top Bottom